On this day in Pens history: Max Talbot plays the hero, Sid and Geno win their 1st Stanley Cup

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It's all just petulant children whining about their team just as they are about to regress. It isn't that the Pens took their time to go shake hands, it's that the Wings players lined up before the Pens were done celebrating and then b-lined it for the dressing room when they got to the end of the line.So Kris Draper with his whole "Crosby didn't shake our captains hand" is more a reflection of Lidstrom GTF out of there and less about Crosby actually not shaking his hand.

Don't get me started on Kris Draper- even before 2009 he was whining. Claude Lemiueux hitting him from behind so I disliked him back then. I mean back in 1996 or whenever it was guys were boarding each other all over the place

So like 2014 my nephew's team is coming to play the Little Ceasar's mite team in Detroit at the Joe so I go up to see him play. I got to open the penalty box door :) Guess who is coaching his kid's team: Kris Draper

I've seen my fair amount of travel and HS teams so the coaches being up in arms is a given. But Kris took it to another level- banging a stick on the glass because his team didn't get a call, moaning because of an offsides. Every single break in play Kris was crying. I think the refs were afraid of him bc he was former NHL.
This was next level caterwauling. I asked my brother if I was being too biased because of my hatred for Kris before this game and he's like "nope, he's like this every single time we play them"

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
If anything, Sid should be angry that some of the Detroit players didn't stick around to shake his hand. Bunch of sore losers. Although it's hard to shake somebody's hand when you're using it to lift a 50 pound cup so I'm sure he didn't care.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
watched this in standard def with a jersey shore kegger raging around me. couple people tried to change the channel to see the subway series score and i think i frothed at the mouth in response. spent the half hour or so after in a perpetual keg stand. incoherent during and after albeit for different reasons.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Absolute random coincidence, no way are the NHL games accurate ways of making predictions. But before me and my roommate went out to watch that game we ran a sim out of pure curiosity. And it had Max getting two goals. It was a 2-3 final with the Pens winning. But I still remember laughing that my PlayStation was right in some way. :laugh:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If anything, Sid should be angry that some of the Detroit players didn't stick around to shake his hand. Bunch of sore losers. Although it's hard to shake somebody's hand when you're using it to lift a 50 pound cup so I'm sure he didn't care.
I always thought that was dog shit. Even as a fan the prior year I was in the stands when the Wings won. And me and whom I was with stuck around till the very end of the cup ceremony even though we were bummed out of respect.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
11 years and still no handshake coming. Suck it Detroit.

giphy.gif

f***ing hilarious.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Not the sexiest of Cup winners, but man did they have guts. Talbot, the third line, Orpik, Scuds and Gill...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Imma be honest

After getting trounced by OTT
then losing to DET
Even making it back, I really really didn't expect them to pull this one off

Then to go to a game seven

Hell

We all lost a couple years off our lives due to the stress

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
In '91 & '92, I was 18 & 19 yrs old and just jumping and yelling and going nuts. In '09, I'm 36 and my 4 brothers-in-law and I watched nearly every playoff game in the one's basement. When Flower made the save and the clock ticked 0:00, everyone else was jumping and yelling and I just fell back down into my seat and held my head. I was exhausted and just couldn't believe it. We still had a kegerator full of MadElf from Christmas and just got silly watching the aftermath.

The Pens from '06-'09 was some of the most fun I had being a fan of any sports team ever. Aside from the main guys, Ruutu, Roberts, Laraque, Guerin, Kunitz, Talbot, 2:58pm trade deadline day '08- that was some great stuff.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Imma be honest

After getting trounced by OTT
then losing to DET
Even making it back, I really really didn't expect them to pull this one off

Then to go to a game seven

Hell

We all lost a couple years off our lives due to the stress

Plus it was the first one for Sid and Geno. I think that adds something to it.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad