On this day in Pens history: Max Talbot plays the hero, Sid and Geno win their 1st Stanley Cup

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
It was on June 12th 2009 and Talbot decided to be a hero and scored both goals in the game 7 of cup finals against the wings. MAF made leaping save in the last second of that game, Geno won Conn Smythe and Sid became youngest captain in NHL history to hoist the cup.

cut.jpg

Good times.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Feels like it was a dream

A different quantum timeline ago

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Definitely the quintessential cup for me. I was not really coherent enough to remember the 90s run.

2009 Game 7 is so special to me.

I was with a bunch of my friends who are either Habs fans or do not care about hockey.

They were casually watching while having a drink. I was glued to the TV not paying attention to them and only yelling at the TV. When Fleury made the save, I yelled so loud that my friend's roommate who was walking back from work heard me two blocks away and knew the Pens had won.

Champaign was so good that night!

Last edited:

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My birthday is June 11th and seeing them win two cups the day after then seeing them win the back to back on my birthday was peak sports bliss.

Family and I were nervous wrecks during game 7. Those last few mins were the most terrifying and exciting moments of just about any game I’ve watched. That save by Fleury is still amazing.

also thanks, Talbo you legend

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
My birthday is June 11th and seeing them win two cups the day after then seeing them win the back to back on my birthday was peak sports bliss.

Family and I were nervous wrecks during game 7. Those last few mins were the most terrifying and exciting moments of just about any game I’ve watched. That save by Fleury is still amazing.

#frenchcanadianheroes

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Happy birthday good friend.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Staal yelling "What the f***?" at the linesman after taking the face-off for the 2nd time after a false start with like 16 seconds left, was classic. Stripes did everything they could to give that game to the Wings, and we're here 11 years later and wings fans still feel like they were cheated out of that cup.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
2009 Game 7 is so special to me.

I was with a bunch of my friends who are either Habs fans or do not care about hockey.

They were casually watching while having a drink. I was glued to the TV not paying attention to them and only yelling at the TV. When Fleury made the save, I yelled so loud that my friend's roommate who was walking back from work heard me two blocks away and knew the Pens had won.

Champaign was so good that night!

I'll always love it for it being the breakthrough to get my Montana friends to 'get' hockey.

I'll never forget running laps around the Steelers bar in Missoula high-fiving everyone there after nearly passing out when Fleury made that final save.

It was surely an interesting sight for a group of people who insisted that they never saw me smile :laugh:

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I went to all the possible Cup winning games each year. After failing to see them win in person in 08, the win in 09 made it all that much better! My stomach was in knots I almost couldn't enjoy the game.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
One of these days I'm going to pull up the feeds from 08 vs 09 to compare when the buzzer went off to when handshakes started
It's all just petulant children whining about their team just as they are about to regress. It isn't that the Pens took their time to go shake hands, it's that the Wings players lined up before the Pens were done celebrating and then b-lined it for the dressing room when they got to the end of the line.So Kris Draper with his whole "Crosby didn't shake our captains hand" is more a reflection of Lidstrom GTF out of there and less about Crosby actually not shaking his hand.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
One of these days I'm going to pull up the feeds from 08 vs 09 to compare when the buzzer went off to when handshakes started

I love that Crosby didn’t shake hands with that sore loser team’s captain and that it drove that loser fanbase crazy. If anything I think it adds to his legacy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad