On the Minnesota farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Many good things to note thus far for young Minnesota prospects:

2001 class:
Alexander Perezhogin has been a standout for the Canadians thus far, picking up 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 games thus far. Placed on the 1st line following an injury to Zednik, playing next to Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev has allowed Perezhogin to be a nightly entry on the scoring sheet. The word is Zednik will not return to the #1 line once healthy.

Richie Regehr is leading Omaha with 5 points so far in AHL play. He is likely the 1st callup for Calgary should they need another d-man

2002 class
Matt Foy has scored twice and added an assist for the Minnesota Wild in this early season. He has brought size and banging to a team in serious need of both. He has been a solid contributor and Lemaire has said nothing but good things.

2003 class
Kyle Brodziak was called up by the Oilers and has played in his 1st 2 NHL games. He hasn't tallied a point yet, but has contributed to the PK and looks to be a Maltby-Draper type player.

Konstantin Barulin has taken over the #1 spot for Spartak in Moscow. While his won-loss record isn't anything to shout about, he has played well with a 1.97 GAA average. The Blues are deep in goalie prospects, but Barulin may come over next year.

2004 class

Dominic Vicari has started the season strong in net for Michigan St. He is 2-0 with a 0.50 GAA and a .976 save percentage and was named the CCHA player of the week. He went undrafted in the NHL, but has the talent to contend for an NHL spot.

Eric Hunter is currently leading the WHL in scoring with 8 goals and 11 assists in 12 games for Prince George. The Blackhawks 8th rounder has really rounded into form and was the WHL player of the week. He only scored 30 points in 47 games last year, but could get 30 points in 20 games this year.

2005 class
Speaking of Blues goalie propects, Ben Bishop has been stellar for the Maine BlackBears thus far. The freshman has done nothing but been named rookie of the week each of the 1st 2 weeks. The 6'7'' giant has gone 2-1 with a 1.97 GAA and .923 save percentage as Maine swept a 2 game series against defending champion Denver.

Sasha Trukhno has tallied 5 goals and 12 assists in the 1st 8 games for P.E.I in the "Q". The Oiler 5th rounder this year is a highly talented prospect who is a classic sleeper. He's also picked up 19 PIMS this year, adding a bit of fiestiness to his game.

Patrick McNeill has scored 4 goals and 7 assists in 8 games for Saginaw in the OHL and is 5th in the league in defenseman scoring. The Caps 4th rounder this past year has been great thus far, and is a plus 11.

The Wild have been bit hard by the injury bug:

Matt Lombardi is lost for 6 week with an ankle sprain
Tomas Mojzis is out for 4-6 weeks with a broken jaw
Matt Morris is out indefinately after suffering his 3rd concussion in a car accident this summer
John Zeiler separated his shoulder in St Lawrence's 1st game.

HFNHL Red Wings

Thanks Greg. We need more 'positive' hockey threads like this on the boards.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
My pleasure. I know some other teams have more highly rated guys, but I love my young guys. I love following them as much as I do my HFNHL roster guys.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Good post, Greg.

I've watched the Wild play a few times so far, and have been favorably impressed by Foy. He brings energy to a team that needs to play an up-tempo style in order to win games.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I agree. Most people thought Foy's big numbers in Ottawa were 100% due to Corey Locke. Well, Locke still hasn't made his NHL debut.

Foy strikes me as one of those guys winning teams seem to have on the 3rd or 4th line.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
With about 4 more weeks of the season gone, here's an update on Wild prospects:

Andreas Jamtin leads Turko in both goals and pims. If Holmstrom ever leaves the Wings, they will just import a younger version of him in Jamtin.

Jakub Klepis has a goal and assist since making his NHL debut for the Caps. While it's not set in stone that he won't be sent down again at some point, I would wager a few sheckles that he has seen the last of the AHL.

John Zeiler has returned from his separated shoulder and scored 4g and has 4a in 5 games for St Lawrence.

Brandon Dubinsky has 9g 15a in 15 games for Portland, good for 10th in the WHL.

Hobey Baker candidate Matt Carle has 3g and 6a in 8 games for Denver.

Eric Hunter has 13g 13a in 21 games for Prince George, good for 4th in the WHL.

Nicklas Bergfors has 1g 5a in his first 7 games for Norfolk in the AHL as an 18 year old.

Patrick McNeill is playing great for Saginaw in the OHL, with 6g and 16a in 16 games, good for 3rd in the OHL for defenseman. He is also 2nd in the 'O' in plus minus.

Slava Truhko is just on fire for PEI. 10g 26a in 18 games, good for 9th in the 'Q'. The next leading scorer for PEI has just 21 points, making Truhko a one-man band. The Oilers have themselves a good one here.

In net, Ben Bishop and Dominic Vicari both have GAA under 2 for Maine and Michigan State respectively, while Konstantin Barulin continues his great play in Russia, his name mentioned as a possibility for the Olympics and WC.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Wild GM said:
Andreas Jamtin leads Turko in both goals and pims. If Holmstrom ever leaves the Wings, they will just import a younger version of him in Jamtin.

Yes, but that's a big if. ;)

Tomas "The Terminator" Holmstrom is indestructible. You think teams had trouble moving him from in front of the net before? Try moving him in the "new NHL" where you can't touch him!

That, friends, is my shameless plug of the day for one of my own players. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad