Post-Game Talk: On the edge of our seat during 60 mins, indiscipline was the POTG but Price says no (Habs 3-2 Hawks)

POTG (09/12/2018)

• Total voters

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Dude come on. Price has been terrible for a year and a half, and he gets paid like the best goalie in the world. People are fed up. It's going to take a lot more than a few good games for people to have faith in him again. If he ever gets back to form, you can say "I told you so", but until then, he deserves the criticism he's been getting.

Price has been bad EXACTLY when Weber got injured and back on track EXACTLY with Weber's return...of course, for many it's still coincidence. Half of our defense from the start of the season is in Laval right now.....but somehow, it's shouldn't affect Price's numbers.

That stupid mentality that Price is paid top money so he should be the very best every game is one of the reason top players won't sign for top money here cause they know the expectation will be stupidly high. But even if it's true, it should go both ways......so Price WAS the best goaltender and wasn't paid as the best goaltender, so we owed him money.

From the day Price signed his contract i always said that he got 8.5M to play hockey....and 2M to deal with all the crap a big contract comes with in Montreal.

Last edited:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Dude come on. Price has been terrible for a year and a half, and he gets paid like the best goalie in the world. People are fed up. It's going to take a lot more than a few good games for people to have faith in him again. If he ever gets back to form, you can say "I told you so", but until then, he deserves the criticism he's been getting.

Tbh, I don't get why people are so "fed up" about his contract, we're not even tight on the cap. We can also take into consideration that the cap seems to rise around 3-4M in the last years. We all know how he can be dominant when things go well and how he can **** the bed when he doesn't have a good team in front of him. Let's see how he does if we get a good LD. He hasn't allowed more than 3 goals since Weber has returned. But I get it, people like to whine around here.

Reactions: PhysicX

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
and the defensive corps ( sans weber) of benn, alzner, schlemko, mete, juulsen, reiley, kulak and petry, that murderers row of defensemen must be super pissed that price is always squandering away their HHOF performances, and of couse should never be blamed. Karl Alner's snow angel is ALWAYS THE best defensive play, irrespective of the specifics.

its a real shame that pricer by not stoppa da puck, on a night in and night out basis, ruins everyone of those players chances for the norris.

maybe after seeing that collection of talent the NHL with start awarding a norris1A and a norris 1B just to be fair.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tbh, I don't get why people are so "fed up" about his contract, we're not even tight on the cap. We can also take into consideration that the cap seems to rise around 3-4M in the last years. We all know how he can be dominant when things go well and how he can **** the bed when he doesn't have a good team in front of him. Let's see how he does if we get a good LD. He hasn't allowed more than 3 goals since Weber has returned. But I get it, people like to whine around here.

Bob is rumored to be asking for the Price contract. I bet you he gets $9M+ for sure. When Price is in year 4 or 5 of his contract, lets look at what a top 10 goalie makes then. For now, he like $1-$2M overpaid. So what, we have $10M in cap space man

If anybody deserves to be overpaid based on past accomplishments, It's Price

Reactions: Acadien86

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Bob is rumored to be asking for the Price contract. I bet you he gets $9M+ for sure. When Price is in year 4 or 5 of his contract, lets look at what a top 10 goalie makes then. For now, he like $1-$2M overpaid. So what, we have $10M in cap space man

the problem with that argument is assuming that Price's performance will be comparable with top goalies who will earn a lot more then, which is very unlikely at 36-37 years old. That only means that right now we're overpaying a bit for his money/talent ratio, but later on that ratio is gonna be much worse and that won't change

it's speculation but it's safer speculation than assuming a 36-37 years old Price will be a top 5-10 goalie in the league for (then) cheap

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

No doubt!

With Bob's individual accomplishments, I don't blame it one bit!

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
the problem with that argument is assuming that Price's performance will be comparable with top goalies who will earn a lot more then, which is very unlikely at 36-37 years old. That only means that right now we're overpaying a bit for his money/talent ratio, but later on that ratio is gonna be much worse and that won't change

it's speculation but it's safer speculation than assuming a 36-37 years old Price will be a top 5-10 goalie in the league for (then) cheap

Lundqvist seems to be playing quite well at the moment, we can only hope

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

We've all been watching the games the past 2 years. We all know the contract which is why people all relieved to see him trending back upwards and cheering for it. We all know he had a tough year both physically and mentally. This year he's looked sharper even in front of an awful D, and with Weber back and the D stabilized we see even more progress statistically with a pattern of falling GAA. If you still want to choose to be a negative whiner even in the face of these positive developments that's your choice, though maybe you can create a thread just for that or something and spare us your edgy negativism.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
yeah I know that's why it's speculation, there ARE goalies that tend to perform really well later on compared to other positions, but most of them don't. The safe bet is : he won't

Rinne too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hard to predict Price's future performance and also what roster is in front of him. I'm not worried about Price... if we have a solid D in front of him. Like I said previously in other posts, lets look at how it looks at the end of the year with a healthy roster and a full season from Price.

- Last season. Lets not put too much focus on that mess.
- This season and Price playing behind that D without Weber? I'm not putting too much value in to this either

A goalies ability to produce is related to the team d in front of him. I always believed this when "the Habs were nothing without Price" and I still believe this when people say "Price is done". I've been consistent with how I evaluate goalies and that won't change.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Rinne too.

ok thanks did you even read my post :laugh:

Hard to predict Price's future performance and also what roster is in front of him. I'm not worried about Price... if we have a solid D in front of him. Like I said previously in other posts, lets look at how it looks at the end of the year with a healthy roster and a full season from Price.

- Last season. Lets not put too much focus on that mess.
- This season and Price playing behind that D without Weber? I'm not putting too much value in to this either

A goalies ability to produce is related to the team d in front of him. I always believed this when "the Habs were nothing without Price" and I still believe this when people say "Price is done". I've been consistent with how I evaluate goalies and that won't change.

heh yeah sure, I mean we're all speculating here. I've ALWAYS been a huge Price fan, from day 1, through everything. Then again we've been through this before, his salary also conflicts with my general belief on how to build a good hockey team in 2018, I believe in good goalies with a great team but not in great goalies with a good team anymore

pin this convo and @ me in 2023 we'll go for a beer then

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

Yeah, you said the safe bet was that Price won't be performing at 36-37 years old. Rinne and Lundqvist are doing it so far this season. Luongo also had solid season at that age. I wouldn't be so sure about putting money on that "safe bet". Especially if we have a good team then..

Edit: Notice how those goaltenders were once dominating the league, like Price did.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
This season is looking disasterous right now, I say that because we are going to be a borderline wild card team at the trade deadline, I feel this will cause MB to fall back into his old ways and make a dumb trade at the deadline, thinking we can actually make it and win a round :rolleyes:

That is the last thing we should be doing, he should be sticking to the plan and selling at the deadline, and the first person to go should be Tatar for a first rounder (hopefully)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

heh yeah sure, I mean we're all speculating here. I've ALWAYS been a huge Price fan, from day 1, through everything. Then again we've been through this before, his salary also conflicts with my general belief on how to build a good hockey team in 2018, I believe in good goalies with a great team but not in great goalies with a good team anymore

pin this convo and @ me in 2023 we'll go for a beer then

1) "Habs are nothing without Price". I didn't agree with this and I didn't like how we put him on a pedestal and devalued the team D in front of him for so many years. It drove me nuts. I knew Price was one of the best in the world but we also employed a team D first strategy. They go hand and hand.

2) "Price is done". Our team D takes a massive hit by losing Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu and replacing them with Alzner, Schlemko, Benn. The same people who believed we were nothing without Price also believe he is done today cause he failed to carry us like before. Very comical type of thinking if you ask me.

Do people actually believe that Price has "declined" to a level where he can't carry us anymore? Do people actually think that he is no longer a top 10 NHL goalie and team Canada would pass on him if they had to make a Olympic or World Cup team today? Come on man... he is just about $1 - $2M overpaid. I have confidence in him if we have a healthy roster in front of him and a better top 4D. The 6 game sample size with Weber back supports my theory big time! Lets see how it looks at the end of the season or before the playoffs (if we make it)

As far as building a cup contender around a goalie, I tend to agree. I actually think we should of traded Price before Halak back when. Yeah, I was on that bandwagon. Not because I didn't believe in Price, but I thought we could get a better return and the difference between the two was not a huge gap. Look at what Halak can do with a good team D this year with the Bruins?

It's very weird how people follow that up and down roller coaster evaluation and ignore the team D the goalie plays behind. I find it strange how people ignore that they go hand and hand.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
1) "Habs are nothing without Price". I didn't agree with this and I didn't like how we put him on a pedestal and devalued the team D in front of him for so many years. It drove me nuts. I knew Price was one of the best in the world but we also employed a team D first strategy. They go hand and hand.

2) "Price is done". Our team D takes a massive hit by losing Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu and replacing them with Alzner, Schlemko, Benn. The same people who believed we were nothing without Price also believe he is done today cause he failed to carry us like before. Very comical type of thinking if you ask me.

Do people actually believe that Price has "declined" to a level where he can't carry us anymore? Do people actually think that he is no longer a top 10 NHL goalie and team Canada would pass on him if they had to make a Olympic or World Cup team today? Come on man... he is just about $1 - $2M overpaid. I have confidence in him if we have a healthy roster in front of him and a better top 4D. The 6 game sample size with Weber back supports my theory big time! Lets see how it looks at the end of the season or before the playoffs (if we make it)

As far as building a cup contender around a goalie, I tend to agree. I actually think we should of traded Price before Halak back when. Yeah, I was on that bandwagon. Not because I didn't believe in Price, but I thought we could get a better return and the difference between the two was not a huge gap. Look at what Halak can do with a good team D this year with the Bruins?

It's very weird how people follow that up and down roller coaster evaluation and ignore the team D the goalie plays behind. I find it strange how people ignore that they go hand and hand.

I think you're venting more than you are actually talking with me (which is fine btw)

I do think he's a top 10 now, at 36-37, we'll see. maybe, maybe not. And damn i'm almost with you that the right decision was to trade him but we might disagree on the window. I think right before his contract after his godlike year was 10000% the time

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Ok guys , stay on topic

Sorry

This season is looking disasterous right now, I say that because we are going to be a borderline wild card team at the trade deadline, I feel this will cause MB to fall back into his old ways and make a dumb trade at the deadline, thinking we can actually make it and win a round :rolleyes:

That is the last thing we should be doing, he should be sticking to the plan and selling at the deadline, and the first person to go should be Tatar for a first rounder (hopefully)

I agree... but at least we have cap space? Despite Price's contract we seem to be doing alright in that department

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you're venting more than you are actually talking with me (which is fine btw)

I do think he's a top 10 now, at 36-37, we'll see. maybe, maybe not. And damn i'm almost with you that the right decision was to trade him but we might disagree on the window. I think right before his contract after his godlike year was 10000% the time

Correct. It was a general vent. Not directed at you.

Lets talk when price is 35 (5 more seasons). Then we can determine if we are screwed or not with the last 3 years at age 36, 37, 38.

But I guess we can review at the end of this season to see how much he has rebounded and what our team D in front of him also looks like.

Just noticed the stay on topic warning... sorry

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We've all been watching the games the past 2 years. We all know the contract which is why people all relieved to see him trending back upwards and cheering for it. We all know he had a tough year both physically and mentally. This year he's looked sharper even in front of an awful D, and with Weber back and the D stabilized we see even more progress statistically with a pattern of falling GAA. If you still want to choose to be a negative whiner even in the face of these positive developments that's your choice, though maybe you can create a thread just for that or something and spare us your edgy negativism.
"Edgy negativism". It's called tempered expectations, and it never seems to be well recieved around here. I'm not convinced he's back to form based on a few games. If he needs Weber to play like an NHL goalie, then who is our MVP? Plenty of goalies have put up much better numbers than Price with worse defenses. It's no excuse. And for the record, I never expected Price to be the best in the world. I said he's paid like he is, so he could at least be NHL caliber. His .900 sv% over the last year and a half is not good enough or acceptable no matter how you try to twist it. I'm not a shameless blind homer, so I'm guilty of "edgy negativism" :rolleyes:.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

Are you kidding me? What has Price ever done to deserve this kind of talk? He's done exactly as much as Jose Theodore did for the Habs, i.e., outside of a couple shiny individual trophies, amounts to squat.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yeah, you said the safe bet was that Price won't be performing at 36-37 years old. Rinne and Lundqvist are doing it so far this season. Luongo also had solid season at that age. I wouldn't be so sure about putting money on that "safe bet". Especially if we have a good team then..

Edit: Notice how those goaltenders were once dominating the league, like Price did.

Tim Thomas too

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The next 10 games will give us a pretty good idea of where we stand. A 6-3-1 record would put us in good position for one of the Wild Card spots. That's pretty much the best we can hope for I think.
Yeah unfortunately the Atlantic is stacked. Habs would be in a great spot if they were in any other division. Luckily, Buffalo has come back down to earth and Boston is currently playing better than they actually are.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Price has been bad EXACTLY when Weber got injured and back on track EXACTLY with Weber's return...of course, for many it's still coincidence. Half of our defense from the start of the season is in Laval right now.....but somehow, it's shouldn't affect Price's numbers.

That stupid mentality that Price is paid top money so he should be the very best every game is one of the reason top players won't sign for top money here cause they know the expectation will be stupidly high. But even if it's true, it should go both ways......so Price WAS the best goaltender and wasn't paid as the best goaltender, so we owed him money.

From the day Price signed his contract i always said that he got 8.5M to play hockey....and 2M to deal with all the crap a big contract comes with in Montreal.
Nailed it...

Reactions: Milhouse40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad