The Athletic - Boston On the Bruins bench, a master works his craft, making replacing broken sticks into an art form

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No argument from me on this

On the Bruins bench, a master works his craft, making...

upload_2019-3-11_22-21-34.png

upload_2019-3-11_22-22-40.png

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have known Matty for many years.

In high school his teacher assigned the class to pick someone to follow around for a day at work. Matty called the B's and they had him follow the water boy behind the bench. He went to school ( I think for sports management) and spent a year wearing a suit (not behind the bench) . The next year he was behind the bench and has been there since.

Every year my daughter and I park the car in Rockland Maine and go out sailing for a week on a schooner. We have been doing this since 2011. In 2012 an older couple got on the boat and said "OK so who is the B's fan" (they saw the stickers on my car). We said "that would be us" . The older man said proudly " Our grandson is the assistant equipment manager". We said "Matty!". He was surprised we knew who he was. When we went back for the next season Matty said " SO you went sailing with my grandparents".

He and Keith Robinson are great guys and the team seems to love them too. They work hard and many extra hours. They have been nice to us. I bake them cookies a couple of times a year. I have to sneak them in.

A few games ago we saw a sign (across from us) that said "Matty Falconer fan" He got teased but I thought it was cool.

Nice kid. I am happy to see him get some recognition .

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like behind the scenes stories like this.

If he started at age 16, he's been a Bruin over half his life! :eek:

This is the kind of story which pushed me to get a subscription to the Athletic. Sure there are some lazy columns and Fluto is front and center but they are outweighed heavily by human interest stories that I love to read, great article

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Matty was so nice to Savvy (when he couldn't drive or do much) that they became friends. Matty was Marc's best man when he had his wedding a few years ago.

Reactions: Fenway

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This is the kind of story which pushed me to get a subscription to the Athletic. Sure there are some lazy columns and Fluto is front and center but they are outweighed heavily by human interest stories that I love to read, great article

Yep. I don't regret the subscription for a minute, Fluto or no. And sometimes even Fluto has decent stories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad