On Rielly, Drouin and others at WJC

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It appears he really likes Drouin and so do I but we probably won't be picking, where he will be in the draft order, maybe at 3rd over all, or higher.

Rielly is a really good prospect but we have quite a number of good young defencemen, ready to step up to the NHL and I think he will likely be with the Marlies for a while, before making the jump to the Leafs.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Drouin's dad and brother are taller than him so Burke and his staff think he can still grow. Very likely since he's only 17. He's 5'11 right now, correct?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Being deaf sucks sometimes. transcript, anyone?

On Rielly

Obviously likes him, Mentions him being used in a different role as the one he is in Moose Jaw where he plays a lot.

Says he would send him back to Moose Jaw if we do have a camp, But will leave it up to RC.

On Drouin

Seems well researched on him mentions that his dad and brother are taller so there may be a chance he follows suit.

Really likes him as a player, Doesn't see a glaring weakness(perhaps d-zone coverage) even called Dave Morrison in the 2nd intermission against the US to tell him to move him up their draft rankings.

On Biggs

Realizes he's being used a 3rd line checker, But likes that he's gotten lots of PK time.

He also mention at the end of the video about the lockout and how he hopes stuff gets wrapped up soon.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Being deaf sucks sometimes. transcript, anyone?

Tried to get you a word for word.

Q: First brian, your impression of Jonathan Druin right now?

B: Well i went and watched him earlier in the year. and this is a guy that is rapidly climbing the charts i mean he played midget hockey a year ago and i was impressed with him. I think sometimes when you play with a great player people attribute your success to that player, but this is a guy that does alot on his own. distributes the puck well high hockey IQ hes got really soft hands and he can finish, so he is rapidly climbing the charts

Q: and you talk about that, theres been lots of talk here that maybe he'll move up in the draft thats coming up do you see that he may be a higher pick then what hes rated at?

B: yes i do, i think he'll be in the top three if he keeps going the way hes going. i was really impressed with him, i went to watch his team mate but i came away that theres two guys there that will be good players in the national hockey league.

Q: let me ask you about morgan rielly and your thoughts about his play in this tournament?

well i think his role here is different then his role in moose jaw, When your an 18 year old in this tournament your not going to get the same situational ice time that you get back home. We certainly accept that and i know he does. I think hes played well at times. Obviously they're giving more minutes to other defensman and their undefeated so noone can complain about it.

Q: Also i think that biggs has looked pretty good for the americans for you?

B: well i think hes been good in the tournament. I think today might be the best game so far. He's showing his footspeed, would be been nice if he had finished the breakaway. hes had a couple big hits, they use him on the Pk Which i like because those are IQ minutes, important minutes in a game. And i think hes coming along nicely.

Q: One thing about morgan, are you inviting him to camp? I think its out there but what are your intentions?

B: Well ive never kept an 18 year old in my life. I think players in general do beter when they go back to junior. But the wild card with the toronto maple leafs is that Randy Carlyle picks the team. So if we get back playing and there is a training camp, he will be invited and if Randy says he wants to keep him he gets to keep him. Thats how things work around our team. He was really sharp in our prospects camp, he really kind of lept out among all the guys , the same thing great skater, really high hockey IQ moves the puck well, but if theres no option to move it he can lug it. Hes been very impressive

Q: One last question about jonathan druin, i read the story where you had talked to your scouting staff, i dont know where we've got him rated but we need to move him up. is that true can you take me through that?

When i went to see him play, i made a call to dave morisson our chief scout who does a great job for us. I said i dont know where we have this kid rated but we need to move him up. He just showed me so much even in the first 2 periods. I think i called after the second period. This is a guy that , he is an impressive player. He has a dad and brother that are both taller then he is. We think he can still grow some. really theres not a weakness in his game, maybe hhis D zone coverage can get better and certainly needs to get bigger and stronger but i dont see many holes in his game.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Not sure I completely like or agree with the fact its the coach's decision whether or not a player should be kept. Coach is really focused on current success, and so he should be, but there is a bigger picture that should be taken into account. The GM is responsible to build the current team, but also with one eye to the future. Playing defence as an 18 year old in the NHL is proven to be a tough task and we also have to factor in Reilly lost almost a full year of development last season. These types of things should really be joint decisions. Who knows...maybe another example of Burke telling the fans/media one thing, actually doing another.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Does Drouin remind anyone else of Claude Giroux? Great hands. Any other comparisons ?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Was there any question about Nilsson?

I had heard some discussions about giving teams a window for their European players, but don't know if there was any traction on that.

I havnt heard anything on him. Have you been following him in the tourney?

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Does Drouin remind anyone else of Claude Giroux? Great hands. Any other comparisons ?

MSL, Tanguay maybe. I think Drouin will be able to play center, though.

I still want MacKinnon. He reminds me of Crosby a bit.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Obviously no comparison is perfect, Drouin is his own player, but he reminds me a bit more of Patrick Kane. Like Kane he has ridiculously good hands and great hockey IQ, both guys are shifty wingers, great playmakers but also good goal scorers, deadly offensive forces whose main weaknesses would be a lack of physicality and mediocre defensive play. Giroux is an OK comparison, but Giroux is a centre with more of a physical edge, I like the Kane comparison better.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wish Burke would forget about Drouin's height. I think Burke is too focused on height. Its not like Drouin is 5-7. I dont think its an issue. Drouin is very impressive, a ton of high end skill and smart as heck.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
I wish Burke would forget about Drouin's height. I think Burke is too focused on height. I dont think its an issue. Drouin is very impressive, a ton of high end skill and smart as heck.

Burke said it himself that he personally moved Drouin up their draft list. He does focus on skill when it's available.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I wish Burke would forget about Drouin's height. I think Burke is too focused on height. Its not like Drouin is 5-7. I dont think its an issue. Drouin is very impressive, a ton of high end skill and smart as heck.

To be honest, Drouin looks smaller than the 5'11 he is listed at.
MacKinnon is approx 6 feet, so there shouldnt really be a signifcant difference when you look at both of them, considering its only one inch. When I see them on the ice. MacKinnon comes across as being bigger. Who know's maybe NM has actually grown.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He was very positive about Drouin in general. Also, his two high picks with the Leafs have been Rielly and Kadri, and his biggest acquisition has been Kessel. Not seeing where you're coming from, really.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
yes, reminds me a lot of giroux in the way he carries himself. tremendous skill, and a clutch player. the bigger the game, the better he likes it.

loved this kid since first seeing him last season.

JMcLeaf

Thanks for sharing. Good interview. I hadn't seen Drouin play before this tourny, but now that I have I definitely agree with Burkie. Very impressive player. So much skill.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I don't really understand why Burke was questioned on Drouin only, as if he is some God among the rest of his draft class and nobody else is an option. It's also as if the Leafs already have a draft pick within his draft range.

I would have loved to hear his thoughts on at least one of Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, etc, or how strong he thinks the draft is, or maybe what weaknesses the Leafs could look to fix through this draft. But too bad. At least it's nice knowing how much Burke thinks of an opponent's draft pick, something very likely considering the odds of drafting Drouin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad