On faceoffs...

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I know Goose is a competitor in the playoffs and he does play very hard, but the man can't win a big faceoff to save his life. Ribeiro is completely outclassed in the dot as well, they were using Cody Bass as a FOGO on the power play last night because Ribeiro is so bad. Do you think they even consider letting Sissons play over Goose, or do his cons outweigh his advantages over 28?

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I doubt there's any changes considering we are up 2-0. I'd like to see Sissons over Gaustad but Goose has been there before.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I know and it is very hard to find anything to nitpick about so far in this series. We are getting the results but could definitely be doing better on FO's. I know the Ducks are one of the best FO teams in the league however. Maybe that is just a category we don't match up well in.

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
The fact that Bass is taking faceoffs says something about how bad Ribs is doing.

That said, this isn't really new sadly. We've long struggled with faceoffs.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Gaustad stays as long as we win. Shot in the dark, but he has more effect on the morale, and in the locker room and that is playing a larger part in why e is in there. Great leadership guy, but if he can just win faceoffs he earns his paycheck this playoffs

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
gaustad winning face offs doesn't justify his 3.25 million salary. we got fleeced at the deadline and with his contract. can't wait till him and nystrom are gone. the face offs are a problem and my only complaint so far. if we can get the face offs to around 50/50, I think we win in 4 or 5 games.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
gaustad winning face offs doesn't justify his 3.25 million salary. we got fleeced at the deadline and with his contract. can't wait till him and nystrom are gone. the face offs are a problem and my only complaint so far. if we can get the face offs to around 50/50, I think we win in 4 or 5 games.

I think guys know Gaustad in important situations will go to his fall down on the puck and tie it up move. Other centerman is just plain quicker with his stick than Gaustad faceplanting. I'd be happy if he would just tie the stick up and let the wingers try and win it.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I think guys know Gaustad in important situations will go to his fall down on the puck and tie it up move. Other centerman is just plain quicker with his stick than Gaustad faceplanting. I'd be happy if he would just tie the stick up and let the wingers try and win it.

Gaustad must be playing a little too much lacrosse in the off season

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Here are the face off percentages by team for this past season:

http://puckbase.com/stats/team-faceoffs

Anaheim won 51.9%; Predators 48.7%. Anaheim won 1.4 more faceoffs per game than the Preds did.

Short term fluctuations in FO win % can be huge. I don't think that they're anything to be concerned about quite frankly.

Arizona, Carolina and Minnesota were the best face off teams in the league this past year. I think that says everything one needs to know about how important the stat is.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Anaheim won 51.9%; Predators 48.7%. Anaheim won 1.4 more faceoffs per game than the Preds did.

Short term fluctuations in FO win % can be huge. I don't think that they're anything to be concerned about quite frankly.

Arizona, Carolina and Minnesota were the best face off teams in the league this past year. I think that says everything one needs to know about how important the stat is.

IMO it is less about losing the FO's and more about when they are losing them. They win very few key faceoffs at the end of games or during PP's. I bet we wasted an entire PP's worth of time last night on the 5 PP's simply due to lost FO's. Those losses allowed the other team to grab possession and flip the puck down the ice, wasting 15-30 seconds of the PP time.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If we are up by one goal in some game in the last minutes and Lavy puts Goose out there to take the faceoff, I swear.... That plan is going to backfire at some point. He's lost all the key faceoffs there.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
While I do think Sissons will be there next season and beyond the way that 4th line is being used against the Ducks I agree with Goose being out there right now. His size alone is needed going against their top line. Sissons isn't there yet when it comes to D.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the only way you see Goose changed is if we win game 3 and Lavi decides to rest him. The only other way is if he is the reason we lose a game.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
During the regular season, faceoff win percentage had a .19 correlation with winning percentage. With straight-up won/loss percentage (not including shootouts), it's only .16.

As a means of comparison, PP% has a .69 correlation with ROW%; GAA has a -.78 correlation.

(For those of you who don't understand: correlation is a measure of relationships between two sets of data. The closer the number is to +/-1, the higher the correlation between the two sets - for example, goals have a .72 correlation coefficient with points in the standings. Numbers closer to zero indicate the two sets have little or no correlation.)

czechczech

Dec 10, 2014

Very interested to see if home ice FO advantage will turn the dot stats around.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Very interested to see if home ice FO advantage will turn the dot stats around.

There is no home ice face off advantage this year. They changed it so the attacking team now has the advantage. Defending team now has to put their stick down first.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Was curious what the stat sheet looked like. Here's the last 10 minutes of each game:

Game 1
10:05 Anaheim Rickard Rakell won faceoff against Mike Ribeiro in offensive zone
10:25 Anaheim Ryan Getzlaf won faceoff against Mike Fisher in neutral zone

11:11 Nashville Ryan Johansen won faceoff against Ryan Kesler in offensive zone
13:28 Nashville Paul Gaustad won faceoff against Jakob Silfverberg in defensive zone
13:41 Nashville Mike Fisher won faceoff against Nate Thompson in offensive zone
14:13 Nashville Paul Gaustad won faceoff against Ryan Kesler in defensive zone

14:44 Anaheim Shorthanded - Ryan Getzlaf won faceoff against Mike Ribeiro in defensive zone
15:42 Anaheim Shorthanded - Nate Thompson won faceoff against Mike Fisher in defensive zone
16:04 Anaheim Shorthanded - Christopher Wagner won faceoff against Mike Fisher in neutral zone
16:31 Anaheim Shorthanded - Nate Thompson won faceoff against Mike Fisher in defensive zone
18:09 Anaheim Ryan Kesler won faceoff against Mike Fisher in offensive zone
18:14 Anaheim Ryan Kesler won faceoff against Mike Fisher in offensive zone
19:22 Anaheim Ryan Kesler won faceoff against Paul Gaustad in offensive zone
19:28 Anaheim Ryan Kesler won faceoff against Paul Gaustad in offensive zone
19:56 Anaheim Ryan Kesler won faceoff against Paul Gaustad in offensive zone

Game 2
9:41 Anaheim Shorthanded - Nate Thompson won faceoff against Mike Fisher in defensive zone
12:40 Anaheim Ryan Kesler won faceoff against Calle Jarnkrok in offensive zone
12:45 Anaheim Nate Thompson won faceoff against Paul Gaustad in offensive zone

13:03 Nashville Paul Gaustad won faceoff against Rickard Rakell in defensive zone
13:10 Nashville Paul Gaustad won faceoff against Rickard Rakell in defensive zone
17:18 Nashville Mike Fisher won faceoff against Ryan Kesler in neutral zone

19:26 Anaheim Ryan Kesler won faceoff against Ryan Johansen in offensive zone

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.

For a while it looked like Jarnkrok tried that falling down style but now not as often. Also seems like I heard that the fall down move was being reviewed for a rule change. Can't remember when.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00