Olympics vs World Cup... or Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn_kemp*

If European countries hosted the World Cup and if it were played on the bigger ice with impartial referees, it would be the same as the Olympics.

But right now, the World Cup is not a legit international tournament. Some of its rules are shocking : "if the USA faces Canada in the QF, then the game will be played in Canada. If the USA faces Slovakia or Russia, the game will be played in the USA. And at the same time, in the other group, any higher seeded team gets home ice advantage." And it's not the only rule that is not impartial.

If I were Canadian, I'd vote "keep World Cup".

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Rob said:
I wish one of the European countries would take the initiative and host the next World Cup.

Should have one host, alla Olympics and football's World Cup and more teams (16 would be perfect).

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Nihilism said:
Should have one host, alla Olympics and football's World Cup and more teams (16 would be perfect).
Exactly, one host bids for it, you have a qualifying tournament and you make it legitimate.16 teams -four groups - make it a big deal. Soccer has its World Cup after the domestic leagues are done so an off season tourney can certainly fly. It is not like September is the middle of July.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
ice berg slim said:
How many of these threads are gonna pop up?

i'm sure it will be a trend for a while.

a poll in philly yesterday had 70% of voters side with stopping Olympic participation by the NHL.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Jester said:
i'm sure it will be a trend for a while.

a poll in philly yesterday had 70% of voters side with stopping Olympic participation by the NHL.
Dare I say- whoopdy damn doo? They do not like Forsberg in Turin so this is a shocker. Gagne got a little knicked up too. Going back to non NHL participation in 2014 will be a mistake and by 2018 they will be back because going to Glen Metropolit,Stacy Roest and Jan Alston as top players in the Olympics will not be tolerated. If you do not have the best than just do not bother with hockey in the Olympics.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
World Cup. The Olympic breaks annoys me and disrupts the flow of the NHL season, which is more important to me anyway.

I like the Olympics and all, but it wouldn't be hard to build up the World Cup to the same stature. Both tournaments are flawed.

Jazz

revolverjgw said:
World Cup. The Olympic breaks annoys me and disrupts the flow of the NHL season, which is more important to me anyway.

I like the Olympics and all, but it wouldn't be hard to build up the World Cup to the same stature. Both tournaments are flawed.
It would take decades to built up the World Cup to even half the stature of the Olympics.... The World Cup simply has no reach outside the established hockey nations, the Olympics does...

heck, only Canada, and to a smaller extent Sweden and Finland give the World Cup any credibiltiy. It is a non-factor in the US, Czech Republic (2 tournments and yet to sell-out a game in Prague), Germany (ditto), Russia and Slovakia.

If you care about expanding hockey worldwide, you will pick the Olympics.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Jay Fresh said:
I vote for the World Cup, have it after the playoffs so it doesn't screw teams over injury-wise like the Olympics have done.

Problem with having it after the playoffs is most players are so drained that it wouldn't make for a great tournament. Atleast with September they've had a few months off. I personally would make the season shorter (70 gameish), so tournaments like this could be better for the fans.

I don't have a huge problem with shutting the league down, but give the players more prep time. A few days simply isn't good enough. Shut down the NHL for all of Feb. That makes more sense to me.

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
well after this tournament I can only say World Cup, but they need to modify it a bit. there´s more audience on world cup, better arenas and smaller rink. should do it.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Dare I say- whoopdy damn doo? They do not like Forsberg in Turin so this is a shocker. Gagne got a little knicked up too. Going back to non NHL participation in 2014 will be a mistake and by 2018 they will be back because going to Glen Metropolit,Stacy Roest and Jan Alston as top players in the Olympics will not be tolerated. If you do not have the best than just do not bother with hockey in the Olympics.

1) when the 2nd largest hockey market in the United States is respoding with that high of a margin AGAINST something that the NHL is doing... then that isn't a non-trivial fact...

2) NOT the NHL's problem.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Jazz said:
I'm sure the sample demographic resulted in a skewed result.....

It's like asking on this board "what is your favorite sport?" and then hail that 70% here like hockey...

the sample demographic being the 2nd largest hockey market in the US... the demographics that the NHL has to be concerned with first are it's 30 franchise markets... the Flyers are one of the largest of those markets.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
That also has alot to do with the sour grapes over Team USA's performance. If the US had done better, inlarge part because of a Philadelphia Flyer, the poll would look alot different.

Last edited:

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Nihilism said:
That also has alot to do with the sour grapes over Team USA's performance. If the US had done better, inlarge part to a Philadelphia Flyer, the poll would look alot different.

not sure i buy that... i'm not a fan of NHL participation in general, but i would be interested to see a before and after for the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->