Olympics and the lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer J. Leafs

Jan 4, 2005
Justin&Mats was here
"Prospects for NHL players taking part in the 2006 Olympics are dwindling because of the ongoing lockout, commissioner Gary Bettman said Friday."

Your thoughts?
Is there any chance for NHL players taking part in the Olympics?

Maybe in North America its not a big deal. But I honestly believe that the Olympics are the best way to promote hockey in the non-hockey countries.

(I hate the lockout!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: )

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
not to nitpick, but linkage to an article, perhaps?

If the NHL wimps out on this olympics... I could see why the IOC would tell them that NHLers are a no-go for the 2010 Vancouver games. That's going to hurt the Olympic games in Vancouver signifigantly if there's no NHL-caliber hockey

Last edited:

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
not to nitpick, but linkage to an article, perhaps?

If the NHL wimps out on this olympics... I could see why the IOC would tell them that NHLers are a no-go for the 2010 Vancouver games. That's going to hurt the Olympic games in Vancouver signifigantly if there's no NHL-caliber hockey
That would be a big blow.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The players, for the most part, want to go to the Olympics. NBC (the new NHL broadcaster in the states) has the Olympics, and would want the NHL players to appear to get a better product. The league continues to put forward a slightly opposed position to the Olympics, but I think it is simply for bargaining purposes. The NHL, at virtually any point in terms of an agreement (even in say January of next year) would trade letting the players go to the Olympics for a CBA.

Also, if no CBA is in place, the players can simply go to the Olympics no matter what the NHL says :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Egil said:
The players, for the most part, want to go to the Olympics. NBC (the new NHL broadcaster in the states) has the Olympics, and would want the NHL players to appear to get a better product. The league continues to put forward a slightly opposed position to the Olympics, but I think it is simply for bargaining purposes. The NHL, at virtually any point in terms of an agreement (even in say January of next year) would trade letting the players go to the Olympics for a CBA.

Also, if no CBA is in place, the players can simply go to the Olympics no matter what the NHL says :)

I'm sure the IOC will have some say in the matter and they won't let the NHL wait until January to decide.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The only deadline is the roster deadline. The IIHF president has made that clear on numerous occasions.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
DETROIT SKABOY said:
meh
i wouldnt mind seeing olympics without nhlrs

If NHL'ers had been there in 1980, there would not have been a 'miracle' on ice.

I would not mind either, seeing non household names compete for olympic glory.

mooseOAK*

Egil said:
The only deadline is the roster deadline. The IIHF president has made that clear on numerous occasions.
I think that it is the NHL schedule that is the sticking point. More time would be required because the Olympics are in Europe this time.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Chili said:
I would not mind either, seeing non household names compete for olympic glory.

Yeah, that was one of my favorite parts about Olympic hockey--seeing players I had never heard of before. I think it was the first place I'd heard of Peter Forsberg, way back when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->