Olympic teams comparison

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Ellot, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Ellot

Ellot Registered User

Statistics never give an accurate description of reality. Especially in sports. But still...it can give indications.

I have looked into the rosters of USA, Canada, Sweden, Czech Republic and Slovakia to see how the squads have performed this year in the NHL when it comes to +/-. I know this is far from a perfect tool to measure quality. Many factors are effecting an individual player's +/-. Like team mates, opposition, the players role in the team etc...

Anyway - here's how it looks.

USA: +62 (defenders +30, forwards +32)
    Canada: +57 (d +5, f +52)
    Sweden: +83 (d +10, f +73)
    Czech Republic +29 (d +26, f +3)
    Slovakia +59 (d 41, f +18)

The weak numbers for Canada are mainly explained by Rob Blake (-14) and Adam Foote (-12).

Come to think of it, I am not really sure what this info says. Use it as you like. Or even better - don't.

2. interminded

interminded Registered User

Technical Consultant

Ellot, I appreciate the efoort you put into this, but as you say: This is not the tool to measure a team's strenght.

The player's plus/minus rating is calculated on their respective teams, their systems and their opponents.
    It says nothing about all those players with all their individual +/- ratings playing on one team.
    But again, biggup for the effort !

3. Riddarn

Riddarn 1980-2011

I agree.

Interesting. Now, remove oh.. lets say Daniel Alfredsson and Peter Forsberg from team sweden, and what do we get?

4. Hart_House_Ca

Hart_House_Ca Registered User

I love it when people come online to provide useless information then tell everyone to make the best use of it... Go read a book...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.