Denmark: Olympic Qualification

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I'm kinda in the same place. But the more I think about it... Who ever thought up the preparations and team selections is looking pretty bad right now.

When the coach complains before the first game that the players aren't focused enough - then you've chosen the wrong players. Whoever was in charge of the process need to think seriously about leaving.

The most disheartening was what seemed like a disconnect between the players and the positive anticipation of the "common" Danish hockey community. The gap between a hope of a taking that huge leap into the finest hockey tournament on earth with all the Olympic-shine the sport would get around the rinks in Denmark - and the seemingly Jimmy Bøjgaard-like attitude of obvious superiority that the team seemed to display.

(Need I remind you of this... Bøjgaard post-WC)

As noted above it was so strange to watch a Danish NT team enter the ice over-confident and unprepared. Like a gifted school boy winging it at his exams - relying on charm and talent. It's so unlike the way they preform at the WC where lack of talent is usually the problem.

Unfocused, undisciplined, unprepared, disengaged.

Would rather have seen Karlsson dumping half the NHL'ers, KHL'ers or who ever wasn't in the right frame of mind showing up to "camp" and lose 4-3 out of lack of talent.

So... WC it is. For now and at least the next six years. Sigh.

Well will probably never know the full truth...the DIU makes the decision but under what pressure? Ifrom the players indicated that they wouldn't show up for a longer camp.

Hopefully this will mean that many of them will try to make this good again by not declining for WC in the future

Maybe all of this is just a bad dream....DIUs website excitingly claims that the Olympic qualifiers is finally here....and haven't posted since

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
maybe we have given our stars too much credit..

maybe they are not as good as we thought, maybe they are not as humble as we made them out to be.

Loosing 3-0 to slovenia, was the icing on the cake, luckilly I knew it would happen and opted not too watch.

Im done with this teams and its looser mentality, they are the new Herlev, just uncapable of winning when they have too.

Please dont bring up the two wc quarters, its a poser tournament and not best on best. besides our b and c teams show way way more heart.. I actually feel sick after losing the OG qual.. honestly sick to my stomach, and the lack of comments from the players. the coaching and DIU, just shows, how amateurish the whole setup is, and why Denmark have not taken more advantage of the huge momentum they have had the last 10 years time..

geeesh sooooo disheartenend by this...

They could have gotten interest for hockey to sky rocket by winning this! would have been perfect for the coming WC in Denmark. bet they will even **** that up, by not advertizing **** at all... and we will have empty arenas due to no interest and ticket prices unbefitting.

I hate to say I told you so, but somehow I just knew they would flunk again... I knew this would happen, and this is not me being negative, but I had a sneaking feeling that we were just not up to it, and the amateurish preparation was just a massive confirmation to me..

Boedker, is just suuuch a tool.. good luck with him San Jose, what an arrogant asshat.. he wouldnt even take blame for the second goal.. he blamed the freaking ref...

Andersen looked really out of place and not sharp at all. imo he should have saved a few of those.
Will he fail totally in Toronto? I think he will, D there is awful, and the media and fans unforgiving.

Nielsen, looked tired. Bjorkstrand was invisible. Hansen too.

Ehlers tried, but tried too much on his own.. are these guys just full of them selves? do they need a reality check, did they even know or care how much this meant to hockey Denmark? I doubt it, because they have no interest and show no remorse or embarrasment from this performance.

Only player with a little insight, was Regin, all other players just had excuses and blah blah.

Really starting to understand the hate and dislike Boedker got and still gets from Arizona, dude is an idiot with no ability to look inwarda at all. and his hockey iq and normal iq just seem non existent. I mean how can he keep doing the same mistakes all the freaking time...

I am beginning to think he did overvalue himself and asked for major contracts before settiling with San Jose.
Frans Nielsen, was maybe like thsi because of just having a new born and arriving on the deadline, should not have been invited.

The team had no chemistry, didnt even talk with each other on the ice. only player from NA who was Ok, was nick jensen.

And please no, your so negative from the usual suspects, this time I have a right to be this ****ing pissed off!:rant: And yall should be just as god damn angry.. this is a freaking disaster!

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Andersen might be rusty at this time of the year, I wouldn't look too much into this as far as his NHL success goes. A lot of brilliant goalies take awhile to get going at the start of the season (see Lundqvist or Luongo).

Other than that, it just feels that Danish hockey fans should make their voices heard and maybe force the change, I really think there are opportunities for it.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I dont blame Freddie for any of those goals. But I do blame Boedker. What we forget is that we came out on fire. We dominated big time and Belarus were under lot of pressure. I was so happy watching those first 10 minutes or so. We were 1 up and we should have been like 2 or 3 up. Then Jensen missed alone with their goalie and less than a minute later iirc, Boedker screws up.

That changed momentum for a bit and then Boedker did it again (and blamed the ref afterwards, what an idiot) and from then on we looked terrible

I just knew that defensive black hole would screw things up. Freaking idiot.

I totally agree on all the comment about the DIU. Never seen worse preparation in my life for an important championship in any sports. So embarassing and they got what they deserved.

I think the federation has to come out in public with all the reasons they had to plan the preparation this way. And heads has to roll.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
well all of this is a huge dissapoinment. NHLers too self-confident and out of shape. One could argue, that Karlsson should have played with more motivated people in good shape from Europe, but then again there ain't that many that could come into consideration (Bjorkstrand, Jesper Jensen, Russell and then...ehhh.) Besides that, had Karlsson chosen not to bring Bødker, we all would have gone mad and talked of Bødker as beeing the supreme star player among the danes.

mikael99

Feb 14, 2007
Much can be said about this tournament by the danes and the players have been polite enough not lay blame on themselves and not the lack of preparation.

Actually the only player who mentioned that they might not have been together in camp long enough was one of the youngsters Oliver Bjørkstrand.

One thing is clear though the main part of the players came into these games with one match under their belt 2 days before the tournament. Obviously not an ideal situation.

Even if the players did play a bit selfish..Bødker i am looking at you! they would have been much much much better as a team if they had played 4 games prior and been in camp since early august. Had this been the case we might have showed up better and had a decent chance.

I doubt heads will roll in DIU since it is a close tight organisation so they will protect each other, i do hope they learned their lesson and 4 years from now in collaboration with Team Denmark will secure funds to have a proper preparation to the next tournament.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I believed that when you finally didn't meet Norway in this, you would manage to fight much harder to qualify.

From what I read and heard, the game vs. Belarus was solid for a while and terrible in the rest.

Seems like the generation change will come into full effect soon, as its more than five years to the next Olympics you can qualify for. Hopefully the both countries are part of the 2022 Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->