Olympic qualification 2022

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
So the groups have been decided for OGQ 2022.

Norway and Denmark are in the same group with Norway being the hosts. South Korea and a qualifier from the tier below is also in the group. I bet it will be Slovenia and we lose to them again :(

IIHF - Olympic

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Austria, Slovakia, and Belarus in the same group are a tight squeeze as well.

I feel Denmark are producing the best players over the last 10 years though maybe except Slovakia, they should be right there with each other. I'm hoping they get there because I think they can acquit well for themselves once they get there.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
It would be nice to finally qualify, it should also make it easier the next time if we don't have the relative bad result from the Olympic tournament.
Denmark would go past Norway and be very close to Slovakia in the world ranking if the Olympic tournament wasn't counted.

Not to mention to actual see us play there :)

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
Team Denmark
If no opt outs or injuries:

(quite unlikely that none of that should happen)

Forwards:
Ehlers (Winnipeg, NHL), Eller (Washington, NHL ), N. Jensen (Jokerit KHL)
Bødker (Ottawa, NHL), Frans N (Detroit, NHL), O. Bjorkstrand (Columbus, NHL)
Storm (Malmö, SHL), Regin (Jokerit, KHL) Russell (Edmonton, NHL)/Blichfeldt (San Jose Barracuda, AHL)
P. Bjokstrand (VSV, EBEL), J. Jensen (Malmö, SHL) /A. True (San Jose Barracuda, AHL), M. Bau (EBEL)/N. Meyer (SHL)
...Nick Olesen (Södertälje, Allsv)

D-men:
P. Larsen (Ufa, KHL), O. Lauridsen (Jokerit, KHL)
J. B. Jensen (Malmö, SHL), M. Lauridsen (HV71, SHL)
M. Lassen (Malmö, SHL), N. Jensen (Düsseldorf, DEL).
...Setkov (Allsvk), O. Larsen (Allsv), Bruggi (DEL)

Goalies
F. Andersen (Toronto, NHL)
S. Dahm (Berlin, DEL)

Verdict: It is unlikely that all of the above mentioned will play. On paper this team - even with a few injuries or opt outs - should be a good deal better than Norway. And I expect that only the 3 first lines will be on ice in that crucial game. But in just one game everything can happen - as we saw in Minsk a few years ago - and the Norwegians will fight as if it is their lifes on stake. Still....this is the best chance ever for the Danes and the Golden Generation. Norway is not at all what it used to be, and it is imo not a team with the quality that Belarus had in Minsk. Come on. Do it - finally!

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think Denmark has more of a chance this time around because I think prior to the last Olympi-Quali, there had been much less national team participation and lower national team cohesiveness or familiarity, but a few good WCs later with some good participation, I think the players are hopefully more used to each other and more able to maximize the skill potential that we know they do have.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I wonder how this will play out now in august. I kind of doubt it will happen at all this summer

You are right about that it seems: The IIHF has decided to postpone the Olympic Qualification Tournament to August 2021. The decision to postpone the qualification tournaments must still be approved by the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee, but I doubt they will reject it.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You are right about that it seems: The IIHF has decided to postpone the Olympic Qualification Tournament to August 2021. The decision to postpone the qualification tournaments must still be approved by the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee, but I doubt they will reject it.

aug? then NHLers and AHLers should be available .

I would say this would be the strongest possible Denmark atm:

Ehlers - Eller - O.Bjorkstrand
N.Jensen - Regin - Bødker
Blichfeld - Nielsen - Russell
Storm - True - Meyer

Jensen Aabo - P.Larsen
M.Lauridsen - O.Lauridsen
N.B Jensen - Bruggisser

Andersen
Dahm

Ad

Upcoming events