Olympic Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn_kemp*

12# Peter Bondra said:
Why not ahead of the US?

I didn't mean the USA in particular, I meant all three of them.

And seriously I wouldn't put Slovakia higher than 7th in the power rankings because in the only 2 best on best tourneys it played (both World Cups), Slovakia is 0-7.

I'm not saying Slovakia cannot win, or finish in top 3 or top 4 this time around, but since it's a power ranking, it should be based on past results.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
MayDay said:
Obviously Canada is #1, Czech seems like a reasonable #2 especially since they dominated Canada in the World Championships...technically they should be #1 IMO though since they are reigning champs against virtually the same Canadian team (minus Niedermayer, Jovo, etc.)

I dont see how Slovakia is ahead of Russia though...thats just

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Metallian said:
Obviously Canada is #1, Czech seems like a reasonable #2 especially since they dominated Canada in the World Championships...technically they should be #1 IMO though since they are reigning champs against virtually the same Canadian team (minus Niedermayer, Jovo, etc.)

I dont see how Slovakia is ahead of Russia though...thats just

Yeah, same team +sakic, iginla, st. louis, lecavelier, richards, blake, pronger, bouwmeester, Bertuzzi, not like any of them are important. :biglaugh:

And it doesn't really help when you're players have been playing all year, and your goalie has seen action in the last year.

But yeah, I agree, same team same circumstances.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Leon: I personally like Slovak's forwards, you have got 2 great lines there, then there's a great defensive pair of Chara and Visnovsky.
Overall defence, however, is the weakest of the top 7. Lasak or Budaj, in my opinion are not Olympic caliber goalies.

This is how I based my power rankings.

I still wish Slovaks a great tournament.
Hell, you never know. Can vs Ger comes to mind, or Can vs Finland, Rus vs USA, those were all one goal games......

or Canada vs. Ukraine

that was a nail biter, being 1-1 for most of the game

or Ukraines 1-0 upset of USA

:bow: awesome games to watch, love seeing us Ukies playing dirty and cheating to win, while our no-name goalie stands on his head

unfortunatewe somehow didn't qualify yet italy and khazakstan did..

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
therealdeal said:
Yeah, same team +sakic, iginla, st. louis, lecavelier, richards, blake, pronger, bouwmeester, Bertuzzi, not like any of them are important. :biglaugh:

they didnt play in the WC's? i had no idea

the entire tournament is a blur to me, all i remember is thornton/nash dominating

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Metallian said:
or Canada vs. Ukraine

that was a nail biter, being 1-1 for most of the game

or Ukraines 1-0 upset of USA

:bow: awesome games to watch, love seeing us Ukies playing dirty and cheating to win, while our no-name goalie stands on his head

unfortunatewe somehow didn't qualify yet italy and khazakstan did..

Italy is the host country, that's why they're in the tournament.

kingsfan25

Jul 25, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Leon: I personally like Slovak's forwards, you have got 2 great lines there, then there's a great defensive pair of Chara and Visnovsky.
Overall defence, however, is the weakest of the top 7. Lasak or Budaj, in my opinion are not Olympic caliber goalies.

This is how I based my power rankings.

I still wish Slovaks a great tournament.
Hell, you never know. Can vs Ger comes to mind, or Can vs Finland, Rus vs USA, those were all one goal games......

From what I've seen of Lasak, he's a very competent tender when it comes to international play and I've always heard the commentators speak very highly of him...but I'm sure someone who's watched him at greater length can comment better on that.

As for Slovakia's chances...I think they have a very solid team. They can round up quite a selection of highlight reel goal-scorers. However, as mentioned, beyond two very good top-pairing d-men, they're weak in that position.

I expect Vis. and Chara to get loads of icetime and likely to be broken up to balance out the top-4.

It all comes down to whether or not the top-notch offense-perhaps the most dynamic in the tournament-can consistently perform to a level that balances out the lukewarm defence.

I'm really pulling for Slovakia to come up big and medal this year.

I Hate You All*

I'm not going to rank anybody, but I am going to hope to hell that the Russian team gives it all they've got and it ends up being a Canada Russia final. (Moskau Moskau! http://moskaudance.ytmnd.com ) Is that possible? How are the teams grouped; I can't even remember how it goes at the Olympic Games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
12# Peter Bondra said:
Why not ahead of the US?

Inferior goaltending and defensemen? Forwards that while on paper seem superior but in reality aren't any more productive than what the U.S. will ice?

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
The US defense is way better and their offense very close to Slovakia. Neither has good goaltending. It's a toss-up in my mind, and I'm in the US (but I'm an LA Kings fan, so I am VERY familiar with the Slovak team).

Nobody has mentioned that Canada is pretty banged up. That could turn into problems. Also, there are huge distractions with Gretzky and they didn't name a complete team with bangers and thugs this year (like they FINALLY did 4 years ago). It's the same all-star team they always name that toasts the little guys and then loses the big games. I expect a Bronze for Canada at best.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PRMan said:
The US defense is way better and their offense very close to Slovakia. Neither has good goaltending. It's a toss-up in my mind, and I'm in the US (but I'm an LA Kings fan, so I am VERY familiar with the Slovak team).

Nobody has mentioned that Canada is pretty banged up. That could turn into problems. Also, there are huge distractions with Gretzky and they didn't name a complete team with bangers and thugs this year (like they FINALLY did 4 years ago). It's the same all-star team they always name that toasts the little guys and then loses the big games. I expect a Bronze for Canada at best.

I take issue with the suggestion that the U.S. goaltending is poor. It's not as good on paper as say Canada's, but IMO it's good enough. It's certainly better than Slovakia's. As a team, the U.S. just has a superior squad. I base that on ON ICE PERFORMANCE this year.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
PRMan said:

You should probably get a clue before you bother posting anything else. Ever since Gretzky took over the helm he has gone with "the allstars" ie...the best players in his mind regardless of position.

His record in 2 events is: 1 Olympic gold and 1 World Cup.....hardly what I'd call choking. Saying you expect a bronze "at best" is just completely ingnorant. They definately can be beat but I'd say the statement should read "a bronze at worst". :shakehead

Here is a list of their forwards from 4 years ago...just to refresh your memory (with their replacement from this team):
Paul Kariya......................................Nash
Owen Nolan.....................................Heatley
Jarome Iginla....................................Jarome Iginla
Brendan Shanahan.............................Bertuzzi
Steve Yzerman.................................Brad Richards
Simon Gagné....................................Gagne
Joe Nieuwendyk................................Lecavilier
Michael Peca....................................Draper
Mario Lemieux...................................Thorton
Theoren Fleury..................................St.Louis
Eric Lindros.......................................Doan
Joe Sakic.........................................Sakic
Ryan Smyth ....................................Smyth

I fail to see where all the "bangers and thugs" you are refering to are.....with the addition of Doan, Bertuzzi, Thorton, and Nash we probably have more "bangers" than that team - while keeping the skill level.

Last edited:

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
shawn_kemp said:
what does "banged up" mean?

I'm assuming he is refering to the injuries to Neidemayer and Jovonoski.......we will probably only really miss Neid's, Jovo is ever so over-rated, IMO.

The D is still pretty solid:
Blake-Pronger
Foote-Redden
Jay-Bo - Regeir
McCabe

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
What country is that? All those flags look the same to me. ENGLAND? Yeah, hotbed of hockey knowledge there.

Anyway...

It's not Canada and it's not the US, so clearly you are speaking about something that probably isn't reported as well there as it is here. In fact, hockey probably isn't reported at all in England. (I won't tell you about Manchester United, 'kay?)

OK, history lesson for you:

2001. Canada has not won Olympic Gold in their sport for 50 YEARS! The Great One is brought in to be the savio(u)r of Canadian hockey.

nbcolympics.com said:
At the 1998 Nagano Olympics, where the doors swung open to professional hockey players for the first time, the country was shaken to its icy roots when a team led by Wayne Gretzky, the National Hockey League's (NHL) all-time leading scorer, and stocked with a Hall of Fame lineup failed to win not just the gold but a medal of any color.

The crushing embarrassment sparked calls for a parliamentary inquiry along with deep soul-searching and debate as Canadians attempted to come to grips with the reasons behind their decline in the sport they claim to have invented and dominated.

After Nagano, the downward spiral continued as Canada failed to reach the podium at the next four world championships, leaving little optimism that a 50-year gold medal drought would end in Salt Lake City.

Bereft of answers and nearly out of hope, Canada turned to Gretzky for guidance and the "Great One", as he always had as a player, responded to the call by assuming the role of Team Canada executive director.

So, what does the Great One do? He immediately names a team not of all of Canada's all-stars (meaning guys that score tons of goals and regularly go to the NHL All-Star Game), but containing a full forward line of "bangers" (these are guys that NEVER make an All-Star Game).

Canadians are stunned, but because it's Gretzky, he is able to get away with it. The team loses in the opening rounds so badly that they barely even make it to medal play. They mesh and then go on to win Olympic Gold.

Gretzky follows this up with similar decision-making at the World Cup and other international tournaments.

But suddenly, what has happened here? Where are the non-All-Star checkers this year?

Canada's success has turned into pride and the great two-way players are nowhere to be found.

Sweden has them. USA has them. Canada does not.

Personally, I see that the teams that win have two-way checking style players. The Swedes had them 12 years ago, the Czechs had them 8 years ago and Canada had them 4 years ago. Heck, even the USA had them 26 years ago (and Russia was the greatest of All-Star teams).

This is the one constant in the Olympic hockey tournament and yet most countries continue to field All-Star teams.

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
Captain_Cunney said:
I'm assuming he is refering to the injuries to Neidemayer and Jovonoski.......we will probably only really miss Neid's, Jovo is ever so over-rated, IMO.

The D is still pretty solid:
Blake-Pronger
Foote-Redden
Jay-Bo - Regeir
McCabe

Toronto Star said:
Edmonton Oilers defenceman Chris Pronger has confirmed he has a cracked bone in his foot but says the injury will not keep him out of the Olympics.

"It hurts to walk but it feels pretty good to skate," Pronger said.

Pronger was injured Monday night while blocking a shot against Anaheim. An X-ray Thursday confirmed the crack.

BLAKE READY, TOO: Team Canada got a scare Friday night when veteran defenceman Rob Blake of the Colorado Avalanche left after the second period in a 4-1 win over Columbus with a strained groin muscle. But it appears it's nothing too serious. Olympic team trainer Jim Ramsay phoned Blake and was assured the blueliner was okay.

Yep, those cracked foot bones and groin injuries are nothing to worry about. Nor is Niedermeyer or Jovonovski. Nothing to see here as Canada's Top 4 D go down with injuries.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
PRMan said:
What country is that? All those flags look the same to me. ENGLAND? Yeah, hotbed of hockey knowledge there.

Anyway...

It's not Canada and it's not the US, so clearly you are speaking about something that probably isn't reported as well there as it is here. In fact, hockey probably isn't reported at all in England. (I won't tell you about Manchester United, 'kay?)

OK, history lesson for you:

2001. Canada has not won Olympic Gold in their sport for 50 YEARS! The Great One is brought in to be the savio(u)r of Canadian hockey.

So, what does the Great One do? He immediately names a team not of all of Canada's all-stars (meaning guys that score tons of goals and regularly go to the NHL All-Star Game), but containing a full forward line of "bangers" (these are guys that NEVER make an All-Star Game).

This is the one constant in the Olympic hockey tournament and yet most countries continue to field All-Star teams.

1. I'm 100% Canadian (lived here my entire life) with an English family heritage.....hence the flag, simple enough for you? I live for hockey and would take a hockey knowledge battle with you any day of the week, so please refrain from ignorant comments that not only offend me but offend every single English person out there who follows hockey.

2. Go look again at the 2002 roster and the current roster....I posted it expecting you'd read it to stop from further incriminating yourself. Every single player that is gone from that team has been replaced by a player with an equally good all round game.....I even tried to place the same style of player beside the guys who are not there this year.

3. The last time Canada didn't take "allstar caliber players" (ie. Rob Zamuner) was in Nagano and that happens to be the most recent "choke" - 4th place finish.

ps. You might want to give yourself a quick "history lesson" also.....every one of those players on the 2002 team was infact an "allstar" or top-tier player in the NHL at the time.
:loony:

Last edited:

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
Here is a list of their forwards from 4 years ago...just to refresh your memory (with their replacement from this team):

Owen Nolan.....................................Heatley

Nolan, tough guy that can score or knock you into next week (sometimes even legally). Heatley, guy that can score.

Brendan Shanahan.............................Bertuzzi

Shanny throws brutal checks at key moments. Bertuzzi throws career-ending muggings that will get you banned from Olympic play. Other than that, he doesn't really check much for a big guy.

Steve Yzerman.................................Brad Richards

While he doesn't always dish it out, no one can take punishment like Yzerman. Brad Richards is OK, but he's a squeaky clean scorer with zero toughness.

Joe Nieuwendyk................................Lecavilier

Don't get me wrong, I love the guys on the right, but Nieuwendyk is way tougher than Lecavilier.

Michael Peca....................................Draper

I admit, Draper is the lone checker on the new team. But Peca was one of the all-time great pests.

Theoren Fleury..................................St.Louis

Fleury, tough little short guy that can score and be a constant pest. St. Louis, little short guy that can score and, uh, score again.

Eric Lindros.......................................Doan

Bobby Clarke's friend...Wayne Gretzky's friend. At any rate, Doan is not anywhere near as tough as a healthy Lindros was.

BTW, everybody I mentioned (except Lindros and maybe Fleury) is considered to be a great two-way player. Their replacements? Well, not so much.

Just another Canadian who assumes he knows more about hockey than the rest of the world... Kind of like reading the article comments on tsn.ca.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->