Olympic Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
I have posted it elsewhre, but nevertheless, I guess I won't shock too many people with the following:

1. Canada (by far the best defence in the tournament + Brodeur)
2. Czechs (with Elias on board, + Hashek could win it all by himself)
3. Russia (If Ovechkin can do it in Washington, why not in turin :yo: )
4. Sweden (Naslund is out, and there's no one to take his place)
5. USA
6. Slovakia (Palffy shoked us all)
7. Finland (Too many injuries, big goalies and d-men are out, otherwise, I would definately put Finland ahead of the US)

Haik

Feb 11, 2005
1. Russia
2. Canada
3. Czechs (no hasek can't do it alone...but Vokoun and Jagr can)
4. Slovakia

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Ovechkin_mvp said:
I have posted it elsewhre, but nevertheless, I guess I won't shock too many people with the following:

5. USA
7. Finland (Too many injuries, big goalies and d-men are out, otherwise, I would definately put Finland ahead of the US)

I would rank it the same way except i would switch Sweden with Russia ( I say Lundqvist steals a medal)

SChan*

slovakia has potential but their goaltending is not up to sweden, canada, czechs class. And russia has more firepower up front, so the russians should definitely be ahead.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Love Lundqvist, and Swedish defence ain't bad either, but Alfredson and Sedins won't take them all the way past Canada.

Forsberg is the only answer.

I hope Sweden does well this time around, it's always been one of my favourites.

Slovakia - No goaltending at all. That's about it.

Nabokov, on the other hand, is still one of the top neatminders in the league. Olympics could, in fact, help him gain his confidence back.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Final Four

1. Czech
2. Canada

3. Sweden
4. Russia

Due in part to injuries, Sweden and Russia are a notch below Czechs and Canada.
However, in a single game elimination tournament, they will be tough...
Russia knows how to play in big games, and Sweden has Lundquist.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
SectionX said:
slovakia has potential but their goaltending is not up to sweden, canada, czechs class. And russia has more firepower up front, so the russians should definitely be ahead.

The Chara factor perhaps?

Slovakia could surprise if Chara start eating people again

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
arrbez said:
The Chara factor perhaps?

Slovakia could surprise if Chara start eating people again

I doubt that Chara's size going to be enough to stop Russians or Swedes.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Ovechkin_mvp said:
I doubt that Chara's size going to be enough to stop Russians or Swedes.

Slovaks were the softest team in the WCup with Chara on board. I mean, TSN putting them in front of both Rus and Fin is just plain incompetence IMO.

Last edited:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Ahhh, agian those formulas from TSN... :shakehead

Like many stated before, I also don't agree with Slovakia (as much as I like them) ahead of Russia. That's silly. Slovak D and goaltending are full of holes like Swiss cheese! If they think that playing Chara 35 minutes per game is the solution... :biglaugh: ... good luck.

One other thing, Italy ahead of Kazakhstan??? But the argument from TSN is hillarious:''the hosts have several players that played junior in Canada'' woohoohoo, my knees are shaking... Kazakhstan has half of it's roster playing in the 2nd best league in the world. :shakehead

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Den said:
Slovaks were the softest team in the WCup with Chara on board. I mean, TSN putting them in front of both Rus and Fin is just plain incompetence IMO.
I disagree. I'd put Slovakia ahead of Finland, but not ahead of Russia. Finland has lost too many players in injuries, so I can't see them going very far. Our strenght was supposed to be goaltending, but now it's a big question mark.

Last edited:

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Pure power rankings:

1. Canada
2. Czech
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. USA
6. Slovakia
7. Finland

My prediction:

1. Czech
2. Canada
3. Russia
4. USA
5. Sweden
6. Finland
7. Slovakia

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Ha ha TSN Slovakia over russia ? Come on ! We deystroyed them in the last World cup with our B team :biglaugh:

Leon

Jan 20, 2006
Slovakia
CSKA said:
Ha ha TSN Slovakia over russia ? Come on ! We deystroyed them in the last World cup with our B team :biglaugh:

and we have destroyed you in all last matches in world championships

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Leon said:
and we have destroyed you in all last matches in world championships

destroyed ? :biglaugh: Oh please !

And by the way , you have always your best team on the ice even in the WC !

So we destroyed you in the last World Cup with our B team and we will destroy you in this olympics ! Its not like we have our B team at Feb.15 :D

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Leon: I personally like Slovak's forwards, you have got 2 great lines there, then there's a great defensive pair of Chara and Visnovsky.
Overall defence, however, is the weakest of the top 7. Lasak or Budaj, in my opinion are not Olympic caliber goalies.

This is how I based my power rankings.

I still wish Slovaks a great tournament.
Hell, you never know. Can vs Ger comes to mind, or Can vs Finland, Rus vs USA, those were all one goal games......

Leon

Jan 20, 2006
Slovakia
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Leon: I personally like Slovak's forwards, you have got 2 great lines there, then there's a great defensive pair of Chara and Visnovsky.
Overall defence, however, is the weakest of the top 7. Lasak or Budaj, in my opinion are not Olympic caliber goalies.

This is how I based my power rankings.

I still wish Slovaks a great tournament.
Hell, you never know. Can vs Ger comes to mind, or Can vs Finland, Rus vs USA, those were all one goal games......

for sure, our goalies aren't the best, i know, but Karol Krizan can surprise... i wish Russians a great tournament too, i said it in another topic - my tip for gold medail this year is Russia, but i hope Slovakia will win some medail too :)

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Leon said:
for sure, our goalies aren't the best, i know, but Karol Krizan can surprise... i wish Russians a great tournament too, i said it in another topic - my tip for gold medail this year is Russia, but i hope Slovakia will win some medail too :)

Russia for Gold!

Wow, that would make my dreams come true, bro.
If Kovy & Ovy go hard against the oposing D, non-stop for 3 periods...
Hell, they might have a shot at a medal.
Still, they'll have to face Canada in the finals, and..........Canadian team looks very strong on paper.

I am, in fact, quite happy with Russia being an underdog.
Less pressure, more opportunities.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
Ovechkin_mvp said:

5. USA

I agree with this power ranking for the olympic games. May be you are too pessimistic for Russia, possibly they can win silver medal.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
I really hope the get a medal.
Brozne, in fact is quite managable.

Yet, if we get to the gold medal game, anything is possible.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If Kovy & Ovy go hard against the oposing D, non-stop for 3 periods...

Don't worry about Ovy, just wish him health, otherwise, he's a machine.

I think Kovy really might make or break Russia's gold medal hopes. He won't get as much ice-time as he's used to, this coach might underestimate his importance and not put him on the powerplay... and if he begins to pout and takes himself out of the game.. Russia just can't afford to lose that much firepower. Hopefully the atmosphere will be good, everybody will feed off Ovechkin, Ilia will accept a smaller role and will play hard not having to save up energy for 25 minutes/game, but you never know. I really hope he and the team get off to a good start - goals and wins are the best way to keep everybody happy.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Rankings

I think Finland will get a bronze medal this year.

Despite the teams injuries and no Kipper I still think this is probably the best team they have ever put together. If they over achieved for 2nd in the world cup
they will over achieve again for a bronze medal in this years olympics.

My power rankings.

1. Canada
2. Czechs
3. Finland
4. Russia
5. Sweden
6. Usa
7. Slovakia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events