OT: Olympic Hockey

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Move this thread if you'd like but I figured it might be useful later for those few who might watch those games.

Honestly, though, I just wanted to talk about a proposal for a new format of Olympic Hockey. I don't believe NHL stars should be allowed to make it there but, then, some European stars would be able to compete and the North American teams might be at a disadvantage. So, I believe they should try the Soccer/foot Olympic format.

Basically, each Country will send their best U23 teams with the exception that they can add 3 over 23yo players. In last Summer Olympics, Brazil was able to send Neymar (24) as part of their overager players). In comparison, Team Canada could send Crosby or Taylor Hall out there. I would then make NHL players eligible if they want to represent their Country but there would be no Olympic break in that time (but I'm still not sure about sending them at the Olympics or not).

The thought process is that it would probably great for young and promising players to represent their Country aside from the usual World Championships. This would also mean that our current Canadian team would probably look less bad. I also believe that most teams would be more on par with each other but I could be wrong

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was never in favor of NHLers going to the olympics as I hated having the NHL down for a couple weeks since I care more about the Habs. That said it was fun to watch them. I would love to see them have a U23 team instead, would be very interesting.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
So the best skiiers, snowboarders and biathalon athletes shouldn't attend either, just because they are not on the same payscale as NHL athletes? Who cares? I want to see the best, not some watered down talent pool. People complain about the NHL attending, but have no problem with the super rich Austrian ski team throwing in their best into the downhill? lol

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
In comparison, Team Canada could send Crosby or Taylor Hall out there.

if i was an NHL owner i wouldn't let my players go under these circumstances,
if im the one who is paying a Crosby millions of dollars, and my team is fighting for a playoff spot.....then i would say F team canada....you are staying right here and earning your paycheck

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
if i was an NHL owner i wouldn't let my players go under these circumstances,
if im the one who is paying a Crosby millions of dollars, and my team is fighting for a playoff spot.....then i would say F team canada....you are staying right here and earning your paycheck

I get what you’re saying, and you’re not wrong.

I just think Olympics is supposed to be best on best, and we aren’t getting that without NHL players participating.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I get what you’re saying, and you’re not wrong.

I just think Olympics is supposed to be best on best, and we aren’t getting that without NHL players participating.

And that's why I am suggesting the foot format as they are not sending every best player and it usually happens at the beginning of the main leagues

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
And that's why I am suggesting the foot format as they are not sending every best player and it usually happens at the beginning of the main leagues

While a huge improvement over the current format, it’s still not really best on best.

Its not like McDavid or Matthews will be able to participate, and that’s the whole point IMO.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
So the best skiiers, snowboarders and biathalon athletes shouldn't attend either, just because they are not on the same payscale as NHL athletes? Who cares? I want to see the best, not some watered down talent pool. People complain about the NHL attending, but have no problem with the super rich Austrian ski team throwing in their best into the downhill? lol

I believe there is a difference between countries spending money (and sponsors) to help their athletes and athletes being paid millions to perform

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I believe there is a difference between countries spending money (and sponsors) to help their athletes and athletes being paid millions to perform

Oh, and what is that difference? All NHL pros were brought up through the minor hockey, amateur ranks, just like the skiiers, borders, figure skaters.. if the Olympics is about the purity of amateur sport, why do they give nothing back to the athletes around the globe while raking in billions of revenue? Its a gigantic scam anyways, at least it was exposed a little more in Rio, what a gigantic turd of an event the games are.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Sprinters should definitely not go. Pretty sure bolt is richer than most NHLers out there.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Skiers and sprinters receive lot of money from private sponsors. Bolt is probably multi millionaire and the part of that paid by Jamaica is more than likely very minimal. The money Phelps got from private sponsors must be ridiculously high too. Cyclists make lot of money too outside of the money paid by their government. Salary is not a valid reason to not have NHLers at the OG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad