WGR: Olofsson running away with his opportunity in Buffalo

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Olofsson running away with his opportunity in Buffalo
Olofsson running away with his opportunity in Buffalo

Victor Olofsson is skating on the Sabres' top line with Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart

I think he's going to emerge as a star. He'll be vying for the title of Real Deal with Reinhart.
Krueger liked his play so much to that point, that he had given him the term, "permanently dangerous."
PD Olofsson?

He's not a one dimensional goalscorer. He's being used in all situations by Krueger. He's a smaller more complete version of Patrik Laine.

I don't see any reason he can't be 30g, 30a player in his first season and a strong contender for the Calder. I'm looking forward to hearing how he came out of nowhere! :laugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
His well-roundedness is almost shocking when you think where he was in 2-3 seasons after the draft. He's developed areas of his game that not only arent liabilities but are strengths. He moves well, fights for pucks, has good passing and vision, and knows his defensive assignments. It's gonna be a big debut season for him.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I don't wanna get too high on the guy, but I've loved what I've seen- it's one of those where you feel you should manage your expectations but the eye test says "nah, he's the real deal."

Agreed on the "outta nowhere" thing- I expect other fanbases to be shocked while us Sabres fans rejoice.

30-30 sounds fantastic, as long as he really has that talent he'll be first line, and if he's first line I think that's doable. Even on the second line I could see 20-20 or more.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
25+25 is my prediction for him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get even more.

He just makes quick, smart and accurate plays with the puck, in the neutral zone and offensive zone. That's what you need to be able to play with elite players.

I hope I'm not setting my expectations too high but he keeps impressing me.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
His well-roundedness is almost shocking when you think where he was in 2-3 seasons after the draft. He's developed areas of his game that not only arent liabilities but are strengths. He moves well, fights for pucks, has good passing and vision, and knows his defensive assignments. It's gonna be a big debut season for him.

Definitely a testament to the work the coaching staff did with him in Rochester (and to Goalofsson's coachability, too) because he was not that well-rounded a player in Sweden. The Sabres were very patient developing him, and it's about to pay off big time.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Definitely a testament to the work the coaching staff did with him in Rochester (and to Goalofsson's coachability, too) because he was not that well-rounded a player in Sweden. The Sabres were very patient developing him, and it's about to pay off big time.

Yup let's hope they send Tage down and he can see similar improvement

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Cant wait to see this kid. Was hoping to see him with the big club more last season. It seemed deserved. He'll provide some nice goal scoring.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I know some complain about Skinner not being with Jack, but I think Olofsson with Jack & Sam really maximizes his potential vs Mojo centering him. I think Skinner will be fine with Mojos transitioning/zone entry & puck protection ability in the ozone. Let VO freelance with the 2 best forwards on this club.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I really don't like the "making the most of his opportunities" argument in this case. That works for players who in my opinion work harder than expected, score at some opportune times, unexpectedly show some skill or ability or achieve a result at the right time, etc..

Frankly VO is just plain stinking GOOD. He has as quick a release any any sniper in the NHL. His shot has laser like accuracy He seems to know how to get open and is a very, very good skater.

He's a budding superstar. Anyone with a milliliter of hockey sense can see this. Its interesting to contrast VO and his performance versus the Magic Giraffes results. Talk about gifting someone something they didn't earn!!! And then making that case the VO is surprising everyone? Totally false and intellectually dishonest argument in my opinion.

Laine, Rantanen, P. Kane, comparisons are certainly reasonable ones to make. Maybe even Panarin and Kucherov someday.... We have a superstar in the making. Kudos to those who scouted, recommended and selected him.

Reactions: BananaSquad

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
“Running Away With His Opportunity in Buffalo” is pretty weird wording. For a second it made me think he was running away from Buffalo before it’s too late ;).

But seriously, it’s pretty rare that I’m this high on a new Sabre. Kinda fun. I think 30-30 is a real possibility too.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I really like Olofsson and I hope that he will be successful in this and subsequent seasons, but I worry about Skinner and his productivity on the second line, in part and therefore we really need another player in the top 6, 2C or RW, who will be to feed Jeff with pucks, alone MoJo for this will not be enough.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
“Running Away With His Opportunity in Buffalo” is pretty weird wording. For a second it made me think he was running away from Buffalo before it’s too late ;).

But seriously, it’s pretty rare that I’m this high on a new Sabre. Kinda fun. I think 30-30 is a real possibility too.

Lol I thought the same thing- kinda makes sense, but I'd have gone with just "running." "Running away from the competition" makes sense but is too wordy.. so glad I'm putting my English lit. degree to use.

Also, why do I think of vampires when I hear his name? It's buggin me 'cause I keep thinking it and have no idea why. Either way, I'm privately calling him "The Count" no matter how stupid it is. Goal 1 mwahaha. Goal 2 mwahaha. Etc.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I really like Olofsson and I hope that he will be successful in this and subsequent seasons, but I worry about Skinner and his productivity on the second line, in part and therefore we really need another player in the top 6, 2C or RW, who will be to feed Jeff with pucks, alone MoJo for this will not be enough.

I feel like it could work perfectly. Jack and Reinhart would play into Olofsson's quick trigger with their excellent passing, whereas I think Skinner can maybe do a bit more with the puck in the offensive zone- he just needs Johansson's entry game to help him with that. We'll see, could be totally wrong, but for now I like the idea.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Lol I thought the same thing- kinda makes sense, but I'd have gone with just "running." "Running away from the competition" makes sense but is too wordy.. so glad I'm putting my English lit. degree to use.
I think it's supposed to be like the expression "running away with it" that is sometimes used to describe a sports team winning by a large amount.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Also, why do I think of vampires when I hear his name? It's buggin me 'cause I keep thinking it and have no idea why. Either way, I'm privately calling him "The Count" no matter how stupid it is. Goal 1 mwahaha. Goal 2 mwahaha. Etc.

Count Olaf?

upload_2019-9-27_23-42-57.jpeg

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I think it's supposed to be like the expression "running away with it" that is sometimes used to describe a sports team winning by a large amount.

Oh I know, I just think it's a bad headline without the whole phrase. "Running away" and "running away with it" connote totally different things. Obviously not important, just gave me a weird first impression.

That's gotta be it, not sure why I mix that with vampires but as long as it justifies my bad nickname for him I'm happy.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Only seen glimpses of him in his cup of coffee last year, and in preseason now... but he just seems like the kind of player who never really holds the stick too tight. Where other players get emotional or frustrated, and leads to more struggle scoring, I picture Olofsson being as stoic and consistent as anyone on this team. He finds the soft spots on the ice and his goals just look so effortless. I don't see him getting snakebitten easily. Which is definitely the kinda player the team needs, and he's got the skill to back it up it seems.

I could be completely wrong on that, but that's just my quick take on the guy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad