OLN's hockey game ratings- how are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Dr Love said:
Congratulations, you have compared local ratings to national ratings, those are two different scales.

Also compared an average to the single season opener. It stands to reason that an opener is going to be among the highest rated games of the year.

Bad Santa

Oct 16, 2005
AdmiralPred said:
I don't know how much the deal was for, but it wasn't costing them THAT much, the NHL needed some US Nat'l TV exposure when ESPN decided not to pick up the option. I am sure it isn't hurting OLN any, might even be a ratings boost.

Besides, as I've heard it, OLN wants to become more of a player in the 'team sports' arena, like TNT back in the early-mid 90's, so it just might be a realatively inexpensive stepping stone for them.

OLN used to be the Lance Armstrong Network. Lance Armstrong's retirement makes that business model a wee bit weak. OLN can only do so many specials filming Lance standing off-stage watching his girlfriend Sheryl Crow perform another concert.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
hockeytown9321 said:
Also compared an average to the single season opener.
So those percentage increases were based on the average ratings for the previous season? So just looking at a couple...

- San Jose Sharks, up 200 percent to a 1.5
- Tampa Bay Lightning, up 257 percent to a 2.5

To me, what seems noteworthy about this isn't the rating for this season's opener (though they do seem lower than I would have imagined), but what this means for the average rating last season. If I'm reading this correctly, this means that last season, the Sharks and Lightning--two very good teams--drew average local ratings of 0.5 and 0.7, respectively? That is shockingly low.

Rooselk

Jan 24, 2004
Billings, MT
Squiddy said:
I think they are doing a horrible job. They really don't know live sports production. I think ESPN is doing a good job even now, they are covering the NHL better than OLN and they don't even have the liscense.

I agree. But OLN is new to this game. I just hope they catch on - and soon.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Yes, I usually watch the Canadian broadcasts of CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, ect...

Today I caught Red Wings - Blackhawks on OLN for the first time..... ewww, thats bad producing. Can we please get some useful commentary instead of telling barely coherent stories, the subject of which I was never quite sure of?

kovalev27hf

Aug 3, 2005
nyc
im sorry but this channel is a joke there is no way the nhl couldn't have gotten on a better network if they weren't such greedy bastards. i for one can not wait for espn to take back the nhl. in fact if anyone from espn is watching we are sorry please take us back we'll never do it again!!

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
kovalev27hf said:
im sorry but this channel is a joke there is no way the nhl couldn't have gotten on a better network if they weren't such greedy bastards. i for one can not wait for espn to take back the nhl. in fact if anyone from espn is watching we are sorry please take us back we'll never do it again!!
the play by play guy and mr smith we're somewhat adequate - smith has been around forever and has some good inside poop - chris simpson is very good - the studio team needs work - clement sucked on espn - c'mon - but - the game is great - i have to watch

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Slitty said:
Yes, I usually watch the Canadian broadcasts of CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, ect...

Today I caught Red Wings - Blackhawks on OLN for the first time..... ewww, thats bad producing. Can we please get some useful commentary instead of telling barely coherent stories, the subject of which I was never quite sure of?

It was fine... you must have dishnetwork and are pissed.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Squiddy said:
It was fine... you must have dishnetwork and are pissed.

I dunno, even the zoom level and angle made me mad. The sound (within the game) was kinda weird as well. Maybe im just not used to it.

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
kovalev27hf said:
1. s/greedy/desperate
2. Three-year contract. Even if ESPN wanted the NHL, they'd have to wait.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
I was listening to Scott Taylor (Winnipeg sports guy) on the radio last night, and he claimed that despite what the NHL might consider abysmal ratings for hockey on OLN, OLN itself is actually tickled, because NHL on OLN is OLN's best rated show.

If that's true, then I think we hockey fans can take some solace in knowing that the NHL will be treated well by OLN - which was not necessarily the case with ESPN. Give it a bit of time. I haven't seen an OLN telecast, but I've read here that there have been improvements. If OLN sees hockey as its flagship program, it will pump resources into making it an even better show. This is a good thing for the NHL, imo. I'll take a 0.3 rating on a fledgling but hockey-committed sports network over a 0.4 rating with a 'powerhouse' network that treats the NHL like its red-headed stepchild.

And hey, when you're at rock bottom there's nowhere to go but up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad