OLN- Why do they drop games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Here is another question about the NHL Center Ice package. It is my first year with it and I do love it. Sat down the other night to watch the Montreal Ottawa game. Beer and snack in had ready to go. Turn to the channel and says the game was dropped. I do not live near either team so it was not anything to do with local tv. Whats the deal?

ResidentAlien*

idaknow but if you find out let me know,,that pissed me off

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Ok, your thread references OLN, but your post is about Center Ice. Ummm...which is it?

I believe your intent is asking why Center Ice doesn't show every game that is not in your market. The answer is that CI's coverage is NOT 'exclusive' and is not permitted to carry every game every night even taking into consideration this season's OLN schedule.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
What does this have to do with OLN?

ResidentAlien: living in Canada, that is to be expected. As a general rule, if you CAN subscribe to a channel that carries the game (in any language), the game is unavailable on Center Ice. The game was on RDS, so you were expected to watch it there (and pay their subscription fee if necessary).

Now, as for the US-based Puckboy - I can only guess that US center Ice doesn't carry French language broadcasts? That game didn't *have* an English-language broadcast. Anywhere. Given the choice French-or-nothing, does Center Ice usually broadcast games from French broadcasters?

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Why would it only have a French speaking broadcast- I would presume the team Montreal was playing was English speaking and I would presume some living in Montreal would speak English- so why only French?

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
puck57 said:
Why would it only have a French speaking broadcast- I would presume the team Montreal was playing was English speaking and I would presume some living in Montreal would speak English- so why only French?
There was no Ottawa feed for the game, as they do not televise all games and chose not to air this one. Very few teams actually televise all of their games...

As for not having an English broadcast in Montreal, the English TV rights were dropped by TSN two years ago and there has been no takers. I'm guessing that the demand is not high enough and that people who really want to see it either watch the French telecast and try to understand (good way to learn the language :teach:), or they watch it with the sound off and with English radio commentary.

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
WEEB said:
There was no Ottawa feed for the game, as they do not televise all games and chose not to air this one. Very few teams actually televise all of their games...

As for not having an English broadcast in Montreal, the English TV rights were dropped by TSN two years ago and there has been no takers. I'm guessing that the demand is not high enough and that people who really want to see it either watch the French telecast and try to understand (good way to learn the language :teach:), or they watch it with the sound off and with English radio commentary.

I wish they would broadcast it down here, I dont know much french but I agree it would be a helluva way to learn, or pick up so mo'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad