OLN stepping it up as a sports channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
John,
How long is the NHL contract with OLN and do you think ESPN will make a bid when the contract expires and can I contribute to ESPN's offer? I have a change jar that I would be more than willing to offer into the deal. I think I have about $4.78 U.S. in there and about 4 Euros. This would be a very small price to pay to get "NHL 2Night" back and have semi-regular viewings of the Melrose Mullet. (That's got to be the name of a drink somewhere in Canada. Thunder Bay maybe?)

Sean Foote
Portland, Ore.

Reports have the OLN deal at three years. Sources told me that OLN/Comcast is the favorite to get a new package of NFL games starting next year, and starting in 2007, will pick up some PGA golf tournaments. If OLN were to get those two entities, they would continue to grow their brand and thus would be more likely to keep the NHL. Whatever happens, it's good news for the NHL and its players. There could be a minor bidding battle for the NHL next time around and that would drive the price up.

Also they will be changing their brand name from OLN to something else (ie Spike from TNN) according to an article I read in Forbes. I think it is pretty cool... the PGA thing came out of nowhere.

HF_Rangers

Jan 16, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
Well the rumor about OLN being the favorite for the NFL package is news to me, but I'll take it... I think that's the key to the success of the NHL on OLN, the NFL is insanely popular in the United States.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
John Buccigross' column at ESPN.com's NHL section. It's quite funny. He gives people baby names, and then gives hockey facts.

Oh, and the NFL package is 8 late season games on Thursdays and Saturdays, which almost certainly get OLN into as many homes as at least ESPN2.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know where the OLN studio is at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad