Value of: Olli Maatta

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's not slow anymore. He's average. Maybe he was having trouble in 18-19 but he's fine this year.
I can’t think of any teams with interest- especially considering the flat cap. It would have to be a similar overpaid winger for Maata. Maybe a buyout?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I like the guy, but he might need to be moved due to the stagnant cap, which likely hurts his overall value a bit.

If he is traded, I can see us retaining a million or so.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You’re not a “tweener” if your a #4-5 defenseman.
There are different types of "tweeners" the Hawks have a bunch of them.
There's a middle 6 tweener, which you'd rather have on your 3rd line but can play on the 2nd if necessary
There's a top 6 tweener who you'd rather have on your 2nd line but isn't responsible enough defensively to play 2nd line minutes and is useless when not scoring.
There's a top 4 tweener for a guy who's awesome offensively from the back end but you'd rather him not be on your top pairing due to defensive deficiencies...I could go on.

Not every tweener is your NHL/AHL tweener.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There are different types of "tweeners" the Hawks have a bunch of them.
There's a middle 6 tweener, which you'd rather have on your 3rd line but can play on the 2nd if necessary
There's a top 6 tweener who you'd rather have on your 2nd line but isn't responsible enough defensively to play 2nd line minutes and is useless when not scoring.
There's a top 4 tweener for a guy who's awesome offensively from the back end but you'd rather him not be on your top pairing due to defensive deficiencies...I could go on.

Not every tweener is your NHL/AHL tweener.
I don’t agree that he’s a bottom pairing defenseman, but even by your standard #4-5 defenseman have value. He’s capable offensively and he’s really steady defensively. I’d rather move Saad than Olli, especially if we have to pay to do so.

Reactions: Naster Okan and BK

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Has 2 more years at 4.1M

He's a useful player, but a bit overpaid. Looking at rebuilding teams that might want to take him on for a minimal return. Can't take any cap back, so a 4th-7th round pick or a lottery ticket prospect or career AHLer might be ok.

I think you would have to retain or offer a sweetener to offload him. Flat cap has really crippled teams and many will be trying to offload similar contracts like Maata. Teams with cap space will look to tax teams needing to dump cap.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Can’t see why anyone would be interested if no cap is going back. With the stagnant cap teams with space would be smart to maximize value of available space. Spending $4 million on Maatta isn’t maximizing it, it’s wasting it.

Teams not contending like Chicago should just ride the contract out.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Can't see him having much value at 4m. Also how tf did he get 4+ million multi year deal?!

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Can't see him having much value at 4m. Also how tf did he get 4+ million multi year deal?!

He even got a ntc by Pitts. No need for the ntc now as his caphit does the trick. Buyout is an option. He has a very reasonable buyout.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Negative value contract in this flat cap environment. Not really his fault. More a c19 consequence on the nhls salary cap and lack of economic growth for the foreseeable future. Chicago needs to an as asset (2nd Rounder) if taking back an ahl player that stays off their cap. Probably best to ride out Olli’s deal.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

People forget how good he looked out of the gate, 30 points as a 19 year old rookie while being solid defensively, made the Finnish Olympic team which won bronze and scored 5pts in 6 games. Also played top 4 minutes in back to back cup winners.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
People forget how good he looked out of the gate, 30 points as a 19 year old rookie while being solid defensively, made the Finnish Olympic team which won bronze and scored 5pts in 6 games. Also played top 4 minutes in back to back cup winners.

Didn’t Cancer kinda ruin his development?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Didn’t Cancer kinda ruin his development?

Certainly didn't help.

Maatta's got that contract because Rutherford likes to bet on promising young dmen developing. If they develop into 2-3 types, he wins. If they become 3-4 types, he breaks even. If they miss a little, he can just trades them because there's not enough good dmen in the NHL and someone is going to be happy enough to take them even if they're a bit overpaid.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like people are undervaluing Maatta in here, he was traded for Kahun just a year ago and had what looks like a fairly solid season with the Hawks this year. If the Penguins didn't have JJ, I'd be happy to bring Maatta back to be the 3rd pair LD. I think you can easily find a team who would want an all situations #4D who has won 2 cups.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
I see a team taking his full contract on if you include a good prospect.
Otherwise, with the cap situation for the next few years, looks like you’re stuck with him.
Or, retain a decent chunk for a 5th-6th rd pick

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
I see a team taking his full contract on if you include a good prospect.
Otherwise, with the cap situation for the next few years, looks like you’re stuck with him.
Or, retain a decent chunk for a 5th-6th rd pick

Agreed, Dach and Maata for Kris Russell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad