Value of: Olli Maatta

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
As a Canes fan, I'd be thrilled to add Matta on our blue line. He had some injuries and didn't really ever take the next step. Perhaps a change of scenery would do some good for him. Potential top-4 guy, what would it take to ship him out of Pittsburgh? My proposal is Faulk+2nd for Maatta and Sprong. Thoughts?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Didn't Schultz play as LD back in Edmonton? I thought he was familiar with playing LD. Kinda like Daley, who plays RD.

I don't know. But why would it make sense to trade a LD for a RD when it's not exactly a massive upgrade and a completely redundant player you are trading for when you could just keep the LD who fits better anyways?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins do need a RHD, and would be smart to swap a LHD for a RHD, but I think Faulk may be shooting too high and isn't the kind of RHD the Penguins would need. The Penguins need a RHD like Savard on Columbus, a right handed DFD to be paired with Johnson on the 2A pair (Oleksiak-Schultz is the 2B pair with Riikola stepping in for anyone injured). Schultz is likely leaving as a free agent after next season (because he's not worth $5.5 million dollars unless Letang is injured), which would leave the Penguins with:

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-XXXX
Riikola-Oleksiak

They need that middle pair, defensive RHD long term, and Maatta doesn't fit the team term. So the OP does make some sense, although Faulk isn't the kind of defensemen they need.

Reactions: wej20

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
The Penguins do need a RHD, and would be smart to swap a LHD for a RHD, but I think Faulk may be shooting too high and isn't the kind of RHD the Penguins would need. The Penguins need a RHD like Savard on Columbus, a right handed DFD to be paired with Johnson on the 2A pair (Oleksiak-Schultz is the 2B pair with Riikola stepping in for anyone injured). Schultz is likely leaving as a free agent after next season (because he's not worth $5.5 million dollars unless Letang is injured), which would leave the Penguins with:

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-XXXX
Riikola-Oleksiak

They need that middle pair, defensive RHD long term, and Maatta doesn't fit the team term. So the OP does make some sense, although Faulk isn't the kind of defensemen they need.
A rh dfd you say? Can I interest you in one Erik Gudbranson?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’d think Maatta for Faulk would work well from the Pens perspective. Leave Sprong out of the deal though, no need to move a good young winger on the cheap.

Faulk is more in line with the style the Pens system wants out of their blueliners, and he’s a righty.

I know Faulk has caught some heat for poor defensive play over the last couple years, but he could fill a similar role to what they have been sorely missing since Daley left.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Olli to Dallas for Jones and a number 2. Or expand the deal to include Brassard for Shore and a number 1 pick. To Pens Jones, Shore and a number 1. To Dallas Olli, Brassard. Pens trade their second to LA for Pearson. Dallas gets a number 2 center and can extend him. Pens may have to retain some $ to make the deal work for Dallas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
I’d think Maatta for Faulk would work well from the Pens perspective. Leave Sprong out of the deal though, no need to move a good young winger on the cheap.

Faulk is more in line with the style the Pens system wants out of their blueliners, and he’s a righty.

I know Faulk has caught some heat for poor defensive play over the last couple years, but he could fill a similar role to what they have been sorely missing since Daley left.
Thats awful for the Canes even with Sprong in the deal. Maata is a bottom pairing man getting paid 4mil and Sprong hasn't shown anything yet. If the Pens want Faulk from a divisional rival start with Guentzel.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
As a Canes fan, I'd be thrilled to add Matta on our blue line. He had some injuries and didn't really ever take the next step. Perhaps a change of scenery would do some good for him. Potential top-4 guy, what would it take to ship him out of Pittsburgh? My proposal is Faulk+2nd for Maatta and Sprong. Thoughts?

Yes and thank you.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Thats awful for the Canes even with Sprong in the deal. Maata is a bottom pairing man getting paid 4mil and Sprong hasn't shown anything yet. If the Pens want Faulk from a divisional rival start with Guentzel.

Lol.

Imagine thinking Faulk is like so much better than Maatta. They're about even.

Hell, Faulk gets all this offensive praise but Maatta and Faulk had the same amount of Points last year and Faulk gets WAY more PP time. Maatta is better defensively and plays tougher comp.

Reactions: domaug

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, you are really out to lunch.

Maatta is and has been a top four defenseman for years, including when they won b2b cups. His deal is actually a bargain when you look at comparable deals around the league.

The Pens org absolutely love Maatta, which is why you don’t ever see his name in actual trade rumors, while Faulk has been on the block for some time.

It’s more likely the Canes would have to have a small add in a deal for these two. I’m 100% sure JR would never add to Maatta to get Faulk. It’s silly to even suggest otherwise.

I really like Faulk because of his offensive game, but let’s not pretend he hasn’t struggled with play in his own end. I’m only on board with the trade because I’d hope Gonchar and the coaching staff would clean him up and it adds a much needed righty to the mix.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Switch that 2nd to Foegle or take out Sprong (and the second) and we have a deal. Don’t have much interest in trading a current young roster guy for a future pick. But Maatta for Faulk? Fair for both sides and fills a need.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Myers is coming with an extension that isn't absurd (around the Petry extension), I'd actually do this.

Myers with an extension around 5/5.5m (which is probably about right) would be a really interesting option for us. I'd move Maatta+ for him. Then while Myers doesn't really use his size... think of how big our blueline would be. And all can actually skate.

Letang at 6-0, 200
Dumoulin at 6-4, 210
Johnson at 6-1, 230
Myers at 6-8, 230
Oleksiak at 6-7, 255
Schultz at 6-2, 195

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Would Pittsburgh be interested in having Daley back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad