Olli Määttä will stay with Pens (it's 40 roster games, not him playing 40.)

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Great news :handclap: He's earned his spot.

As for who's being traded ... I'm not so sure it's Nisky. The Pens PR machine has really been pimping him. You wouldn't think that would be for the benefit of other GM's, more for the fans. Build him up so that if they trade a fan favorite, like say Orpik, people won't be sharpening their pitchforks.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Great news :handclap: He's earned his spot.

As for who's being traded ... I'm not so sure it's Nisky. The Pens PR machine has really been pimping him. You wouldn't think that would be for the benefit of other GM's, more for the fans. Build him up so that if they trade a fan favorite, like say Orpik, people won't be sharpening their pitchforks.

They aren't trading either of them. Unless Vokoun returns, they don't have to. Gotta have that depth on D and Chuck Kobasew in the top 6.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
Exciting news, particular as a Finn in an Olympic year. How relevant do you consider the 40-game limit to be? Is it likely he'll stay up after 40 games assuming his level of play doesn't drop significantly?
I very much doubt they intend to send him back to London before the 40th game. But I'm sure they will keep the option in mind if he does start to falter.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
They aren't trading either of them. Unless Vokoun returns, they don't have to. Gotta have that depth on D and Chuck Kobasew in the top 6.

You could very well be right ... maybe they're wagging the dog so people quit asking about Elmer.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If he continues to play well he might crack the Finish Olympic team, aren't teams able to take 8 dmen to Sochi? I don't imagine they'll let him play in the WJC.

Penguinzilla*

if he plays in 40 or more games, he will become a UFA one year sooner.

if he was sent down before that, it would still use the 1st year of his ELC but not affect when he would become a UFA

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I wouldn't worry about the 40-game mark. It'd be beyond stupid to send him down for basically the rest of the season and burn up a year of his ELC at the same time. He's likely with the Pens for good now.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Excited. Glad to see him nail a spot on this roster. Dude's got quite the potential and definitely the opportunity now.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Congrats to Maatta! I'm happy for him, i'm sure they'll watch him closely so he doesn't get burnt out though.

Now what to do with Despres...

penguins2946*

@TIOPS_DePaoli: One scout told me if Paul Martin keeps playing at the level he is, it wouldn't be a shock if Maatta forced his way into top4 later in season

Is that saying Martin has been bad?

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I posted earlier in another thread that I would be shocked if they kept Maata in NHL. That still is true, I am shocked. Not because he doesn't deserve it, he absolutely does, but that they made the decision when they didn't have to with other options available. Options that most would not have to much of an issue with.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
@TIOPS_DePaoli: One scout told me if Brooks Orpik keeps playing at the level he is, it wouldn't be a shock if Maatta forced his way into top4 later in season

fixed.

I'm happy for Olli, but Shero has to move people now. No sense in sitting Bort in the press box and to keep Despres down in the AHL.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
@TIOPS_DePaoli: One scout told me if Paul Martin keeps playing at the level he is, it wouldn't be a shock if Maatta forced his way into top4 later in season

I really doubt a scout told him anything.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

Martin's playing 26:27 per/game this season (5th highest in the whole league). The Pens are obviously happy with him.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
Really good news. Olli's earned his spot. He has been so impressive. Glad to see him here more than 9 games. :yo:

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hmmmm. Congrats to Maatta... Still not at all convinced this is a good decision.

I posted earlier in another thread that I would be shocked if they kept Maata in NHL. That still is true, I am shocked. Not because he doesn't deserve it, he absolutely does, but that they made the decision when they didn't have to with other options available. Options that most would not have to much of an issue with.

I'm with these. I am a gigantic fan of Maatta, and he has played at an NHL level, but I'm not convinced this is the best option. It will be interesting to see how the next few weeks play out with regards to roster management, because I can't believe that status quo will hold.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Good on Maatta for forcing the Pens hand here. Kid is an extremely hard worker, put in extra time almost daily here in London, was focused, driven to get pro ready. And he has done it earlier than most woulda guessed as late as Sept. he also made the Finnish WRJr team as a 16 yr old. He'll be missed in London, ESP with the Memorial Cup here. It leaves a huge hole on the Knights but its a development league and they are here to move on n up.
You got a good one Pittsburgh.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Honestly, I don't know that it'd be a stretch to say Orpik-Martin has been their worst pairing this season. Very mistake prone, and seem to be on the ice for the majority of the goals against.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Martin's playing 26:27 per/game this season (5th highest in the whole league). The Pens are obviously happy with him.

Yes, people seem to forget that Martin and Orpik play against the best players on the other team every night, Friday they will be playing against Tavares, Saturday against Kessel, Monday against Eric Staal, those guys are going to make plays and make Martin and Orpik look bad every now and then.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Honestly, I don't know that it'd be a stretch to say Orpik-Martin has been their worst pairing this season. Very mistake prone, and seem to be on the ice for the majority of the goals against.
Orpik has been much more the culprit in that, imo.

Martin hasn't been flawless but it's hard to be flawless playing over 26 minutes a game and playing against the other teams best a lot of the time.

Yes, people seem to forget that Martin and Orpik play against the best players on the other team every night, Friday they will be playing against Tavares, Saturday against Kessel, Monday against Eric Staal, those guys are going to make plays and make Martin and Orpik look bad every now and then.
Tue.

eme

Oct 22, 2006
Helsinki
Congratz Määttä! Well played. If Määttäs level of play does not decline dramatically, he should be looking to book a flight to Sochi in February.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->