Olli Määttä will stay with Pens (it's 40 roster games, not him playing 40.)

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Good news. I expected him to stay at this point though. He's just been too good to send back.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Does that mean someone's getting traded when Letang is back?

H382

Oct 20, 2006
What's the deal with Despres? He was a staple on the D late last season. Is he hurt or does management think he needs more time to develop?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
YES! YES! YES!

Great news, he deserves it! Hopefully he and Niskanen work good together.

Scuderi - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Maataa - Niskanen

That's pretty solid :)

Hopefully he won't be with Niskanen long as Niskanen should be on his way out via trade.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
As well as he has played I didn't think they'd keep him up. I'll eat crow on that one.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
there's an interesting question as to which 40 games count.

"games he actually plays in" or "games he's eligible to play in" - the first interpretation would allow him to stay with the Penguins for a far greater chunk of the season by utilizing a few well-timed scratches (especially when you factor in the WJC (if he's released) and the Olympics (playing in the NHL should give him a shot at competing for a third-pairing role)). unfortunately i think the second interpretation (time-on-roster as opposed to games played) is what holds.

edit:

Sean Gentille ‏@seangentille 2m
I had that wrong. Maatta gets 40 roster games, not 40 GP. So he stays until WJC-ish, then heads back (or stays).

https://twitter.com/seangentille/status/393382137090408448

Last edited:

Penguinzilla*

Can someone please explain the 40 game thing, in simple terms if possible? I don't get it. Thanks

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
As well as he has played I didn't think they'd keep him up. I'll eat crow on that one.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
there's an interesting question as to which 40 games count.

"games he actually plays in" or "games he's eligible to play in" - the first interpretation would allow him to stay with the Penguins for a far greater chunk of the season by utilizing a few well-timed scratches (especially when you factor in the WJC (if he's released) and the Olympics (playing in the NHL should give him a shot at competing for a third-pairing role))

This came up with Grover on a post game call in (maybe last weekend?). The way he explained was the 10+ games to start the clock on his ELC was games played, but the 40 games was on the roster. Trusting Grover, he seems to know his crap.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
This came up with Grover on a post game call in (maybe last weekend?). The way he explained was the 10+ games to start the clock on his ELC was games played, but the 40 games was on the roster. Trusting Grover, he seems to know his crap.

thanks. other sources are repeating that as well. the other interpretation would have been pretty awesome, but as it stands half the season (at the minimum) is pretty great.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Exciting news, particular as a Finn in an Olympic year. How relevant do you consider the 40-game limit to be? Is it likely he'll stay up after 40 games assuming his level of play doesn't drop significantly?

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Hopefully he won't be with Niskanen long as Niskanen should be on his way out via trade.

The Pens seem very high on Niskanen. On one hand there are a lot of reasons to sell high on him now, but we all know how Shero likes to have 7-8 defensemen he thinks he can trust in.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Pens seem very high on Niskanen. On one hand there are a lot of reasons to sell high on him now, but we all know how Shero likes to have 7-8 defensemen he thinks he can trust in.

Stop drafting dmen then. We would also like to not have Chuck Kobasew on 2nd line RW.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Another thing brought up in that same post game, should they choose to return him to London (seeming more unlikely breaking the 10 game barrier, but who knows), he would be ineligible to return until mid-May, since London is hosting the Memorial Cup, and guaranteed a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad