Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If he was showing well prior to the injuries, you probably wouldn't see this kind of talk.

Yep, if he was showing as well as Conor Timmins in Colorado pre injury (lost a full year to concussion), we wouldn't be as worried. It's the stagnation and lack of improvement in all the areas flagged since being draft that just compound with the injuries.

He didn't draft himself 5th overall, I'll give him that.

He did very cockily say "I think I'm the best D man from this draft" at the draft.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yep, if he was showing as well as Conor Timmins in Colorado pre injury (lost a full year to concussion), we wouldn't be as worried. It's the stagnation and lack of improvement in all the areas flagged since being draft that just compound with the injuries.

He did very cockily say "I think I'm the best D man from this draft" at the draft.

And look how good Timmins looks even after that injury...he’s probably going to make the Avs roster.

Reactions: timw33

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I guess the definition of "bust" is a little fluid. To me, if Juolevi make the NHL as an everyday 3rd pairing defenceman, he's not a bust even though he has clearly failed to live up the expectations of a 5th overall pick (injuries not withstanding). Can't wait to read the Utica reports on his play from the usual suspects.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
3rd pairing dman from a top 5 pick is most certainly a bust, IMO. Any top 5 pick should be an important piece on the team, not a replacement-level player.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You're technically correct I suppose... barring another serious injury, he can only trend upwards. But where will that take him? Bottom pairing guy? AHL tweener? European league veteran?

At this point he'll have to do a really impressive about face to live up to his pick. I don't see that happening. Sure it's possible, but the odds long. Right now, I would say his odds of becoming a solid, contributing NHL player are around the same as those of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The upside of trading him for a pick is that we reset the contract clock and open up a contact space. I'm not exactly sure what the bonus is of trading him for another disappointment, but sometimes a change of scenery is good for a player.

Look at it like we bought a lemon of a car... if we can polish it up a bit and get it running, it might be time to move it on to the next sucker.

So that 3rd rounder pick is going to make the nhl for us then? Genius. We should get rid of all our prospects who trend upwards.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I guess the definition of "bust" is a little fluid. To me, if Juolevi make the NHL as an everyday 3rd pairing defenceman, he's not a bust even though he has clearly failed to live up the expectations of a 5th overall pick (injuries not withstanding). Can't wait to read the Utica reports on his play from the usual suspects.

Um...that's the text book definition of a draft bust, which is a prospect who failed to live up to the expectations corresponding to his draft position.

If OJ making a 5/6D is not bust, then Kwame Brown shouldn't be considered to be one of the most ridiculous busts in modern NBA history.

Reactions: geebaan

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

there's two definitions of bust. one is busting against expectations. one is outright busting. with top draft picks the first one is favoured. as in, yakupov played 350 nhl games but he busted.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What. Ppl actually think this way?!?!

Olli is on the maglev train to bustville, maybe he jumps off and lands in a storage tank full of extra soft pillows and safety nets. But it's unlikely.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm usually one to admit that Dmen need more time to develop and hit their time but I think that ship has sailed here. He'll be 22 at the end of this season and hasn't done squat at any pro level he's been in or shown signs of being an NHL player, in my opinion. He's never going to amount to the heights the Canucks had envisioned when they drafted him so high. In that case he's a major bust and a wasted pick given who they could have picked instead.

He could still carve out an NHL career but I highly doubt it. I suspect he'll be a Euro league player in a few years time. If the Canucks had any sense they would use him as trade bait and see what they could work out using him either as a main piece or an addition.

Reactions: VintageBure

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Suspects?

The intonation here is that we somehow are posting false information for some devious purpose.

I take offense to such accusations. I have never and would never post a created criticism of any player. What you get from me is the most straight forward analysis of a player's efforts and skills displayed before me as exactly as I see them.

I don't pretty anything up in casting praise nor do I ugly it up with inaccurate criticism. I give you the facts from what I observe not what I or some of you want to see. I wish every player who comes into Utica would rise to NHL stardom. I also know that's ridiculous to begin with, but I still wish it. I also recognize in crystal clear vision when that wish is impossible for some. Many others bust their butts to realize their dream, but will eventually have to accept that the dream was just that.

Critiquing a player's game can appear hurtful, but sometimes the truth simply hurts. Blind fandom won't change a bit of those facts. I think the players may accept that better than their hopeful fans. Life goes on after hockey. When the "after" is comes at various times to every player and for a huge number of them that's in the AHL. Unfortunately the hard core AHL fan witnesses a lot more failure than success.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
If he's already a bust why do you guys still follow him and reply to this topic?

You guys have done nothing but spew nonsense.
I said he was one injury away from being a bust. That's what you quoted me on. Has he recieved another injury in the last few minutes that I'm not aware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad