Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You don't think he will play 300 games?

I don't think his production will ever come close to matching his draft position.

Cam Barker played over 300 games but I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't consider him a bust as a 3rd overall pick in the 2004 draft.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Juolevi didn’t make the team out of training camp in now his Draft +4 season. He’s a bust.

what does it say that you've been wanting to say that so badly for four years that you'd say it about a guy clearly not 100% at camp and never expected to make the team going in for that reason instead of waiting for the outcome of the ahl rehab?.

the real final test for this guy is coming up right now. it's not like you have long to wait.

Reactions: sting101

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
what does it say that you've been wanting to say that so badly for four years that you'd say it about a guy clearly not 100% at camp and never expected to make the team going in for that reason instead of waiting for the outcome of the ahl rehab?.

the real final test for this guy is coming up right now. it's not like you have long to wait.

What does it say that you're more concerned about me than you are about the team?

We must wait and see. D take longer to develop.

We will revisit this in 2027. At that point, if he is healthy, we can begin to think about how we might start the initial process of considering whether it is appropriate in the near future (2028 or 2029) to assess this player.

:laugh: Well played

Reactions: I am toxic

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

We will revisit this in 2027. At that point, if he is healthy, we can begin to think about how we might start the initial process of considering whether it is appropriate in the near future (2028 or 2029) to assess this player.

Don't you think 2028 or 2029 will be a bit too soon to judge him? He'll only be 30-31 years old...D take longer to develop...some defencemen don't peak until their mid 30s...we must give Juolevi more time before we jump to such big conclusions...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still think there's a good chance Juolevi is 'the sweetener' as part of a bigger deal for somebody else the Canucks really need. Former high first round draft picks always have a lot of currency in the NHL going forward. How else do you explain guys like Pouliot and Barker who kept getting contracts? Somebody will bite.

Seems ironic that the three Fins drafted in the top five of that 2016 draft--Laine, Puljujarvi and Juolevi-- could end up with different teams than the ones that drafted them. Puljujarvi is gone for sure; and I'm still not convinced the marriage between Laine and the Jets is destined to last.

So unless Juolevi has a huge year in Utica, he could be next on the block. He's already been passed by Hughes and Woo imo as prospect d-men. And if the Canucks successfully re-sign Tryamkin, there probably isn't any room for him.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Still think there's a good chance Juolevi is 'the sweetener' as part of a bigger deal for somebody else the Canucks really need. Former high first round draft picks always have a lot of currency in the NHL going forward. How else do you explain guys like Pouliot and Barker who kept getting contracts? Somebody will bite.

Seems ironic that the three Fins drafted in the top five of that 2016 draft--Laine, Puljujarvi and Juolevi-- could end up with different teams than the ones that drafted them. Puljujarvi is gone for sure; and I'm still not convinced the marriage between Laine and the Jets is destined to last.

So unless Juolevi has a huge year in Utica, he could be next on the block. He's already been passed by Hughes and Woo imo as prospect d-men. And if the Canucks successfully re-sign Tryamkin, there probably isn't any room for him.

Lmao, you said Pouliot was like a young Drew Doughty.

Reactions: geebaan and Peter10

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Juolevi was just sent down to Utica without playing a single pre-season game. But don't worry! With 5 or 6 more years of seasoning down in the minors, he might be a good depth defenceman. Exactly what you would expect from a 5th overall pick.

Reactions: vanuck and geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Juolevi was just sent down to Utica without playing a single pre-season game. But don't worry! With 5 or 6 more years of seasoning down in the minors, he might be a good depth defenceman. Exactly what you would expect from a 5th overall pick.

You do know that he was kept out of preseason games due to his recovery from knee surgery right?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Or he might get a call up once he’s fully healed.
Let’s wait and see what a healthy Juolevi can do before writing his obituary.

Reactions: elwin316

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Not to worry folks, Lidstrom didn't break into the NHL until he was 21 years old.

All part of the greater plan, Benning isn't the least bit concerned............................

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Said this before....he needs 40 straight injury-free games in Utica. If he shows well, he could be a call up this year. If not, alas, I believe it's time to move on. Picks 1-17 from 2016 have all play in the NHL. 15 D-men from that draft class have played in the NHL. I'm one to preach patience but, if it doesn't happen this year, he will be 22 years old next year having never played an NHL game. He'll likely end up playing in Europe.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't think his production will ever come close to matching his draft position.

Cam Barker played over 300 games but I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't consider him a bust as a 3rd overall pick in the 2004 draft.
I see what you did...setting your argument up to be pseudo relevant for the next 6 years. :D

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Said this before....he needs 40 straight injury-free games in Utica. If he shows well, he could be a call up this year. If not, alas, I believe it's time to move on. Picks 1-17 from 2016 have all play in the NHL. 15 D-men from that draft class have played in the NHL. I'm one to preach patience but, if it doesn't happen this year, he will be 22 years old next year having never played an NHL game. He'll likely end up playing in Europe.

i'm not setting any benchmarks at this stage, but he has to play well in utica.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Don't you think 2028 or 2029 will be a bit too soon to judge him? He'll only be 30-31 years old...D take longer to develop...some defencemen don't peak until their mid 30s...we must give Juolevi more time before we jump to such big conclusions...
The “golden years” so to say don’t take place until 65+ I think you’re all being hasty here

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
You do know that he was kept out of preseason games due to his recovery from knee surgery right?

If he was the type of player you typically get at 5th overall, he would be playing in Vancouver after his injury heals, not the minors.

Reactions: timw33

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

WFKdN50.gif

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If Juolevi plays 300 games, it doesn't mean he isn't this:
A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at a professional level. A player is also regarded as a larger bust if more successful players are drafted after him or her.
bust in sports definition - Google Search

I think he'll make it to 300 games, but I still think he'll be a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad