Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. III | Off to Juo-tica

Status
Not open for further replies.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
2 more assists for Juolevi

I believe that puts him second in rookie dman points and in the top 15 for all rookies. He may have defensive issues but no denying his offense seems to be progressing. An encouraging sign for sure.

I normally hate dissecting a small sample size but I did find it interesting that Juolevi was -6 with 1 point after 3 AHL games. Considering a new league and a recently repaired back I can give him some grace for that. Since then he has 1g 7a in 10 games and a -2. Way too early to give up on this kid. I purchased the AHLtv package and have been watching Juolevi closely. He is not lighting the game on fire but he is certainly showing progression.

But man! He can have Bieksa level gaffes out there. Iron those out and we have a solid top 4 dman for at least a decade.

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
It’s pretty interesting to read through the Sergachev thread on the Lightning board. To say he’s struggling this year would be a huge understatement. General sentiment is that he’s playing like a bad bottom pairing defense man and some posters are even wondering if he should be in the AHL. But the most interesting part is, the majority of Lightning fans are rallying behind the idea that he’s still only 21 years old and optimistic that he will eventually figure out the defensive game.

This is why some defense men can make the jump to play in the NHL at a young age. Partly because their team is so deep on defense they can insulate them. Partly because they don’t play for a team with a horde of fans who are just waiting to eat them alive and chomping at the bit to do so.

Unfortunately Juolevi isn’t so lucky on either count.

I've said it on these boards numerous times. If you watch Sergachev for a prolonged basis last year you could see obviously he's talented, but there's a lot of holes on his game. He played amongst the softest minutes in the league and still struggled. Some of those struggles were masked by his PP production on that stacked TB PP.

Juolevi is a player that gets stronger as the year goes by and the bigger the moments. In the past it may have been his conditioning. Right now he's adjusting to NA pro hockey. I have the utmost faith and patience in him. As Juolevi said himself its not a sprint its a marathon. He's not setting himself up with being the best player from his draft class right now. He's setting himself up to have a prolonged successful career.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I've said it on these boards numerous times. If you watch Sergachev for a prolonged basis last year you could see obviously he's talented, but there's a lot of holes on his game. He played amongst the softest minutes in the league and still struggled. Some of those struggles were masked by his PP production on that stacked TB PP.

Juolevi is a player that gets stronger as the year goes by and the bigger the moments. In the past it may have been his conditioning. Right now he's adjusting to NA pro hockey. I have the utmost faith and patience in him. As Juolevi said himself its not a sprint its a marathon. He's not setting himself up with being the best player from his draft class right now. He's setting himself up to have a prolonged successful career.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/mikhail-sergachev.2357505/page-26

comments from Lighting fans. It won't take long for anyone to find the comments.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
well he is the topic on hand and it seems some think his value is going south on the farm

Makes sense. I'd probably be shopping him although our dearth of defense prospects might make it more difficult. Would be great to reset the clock if possible.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
should we try to trade him?

Honestly if the price is right id move him.

For instance if he was the main piece in a trade for Nylander, id do it.

With the re emergence of Hutton, i feel a bit better about our Dcore.

Theres also a chance for us to draft someone like Bowen Byram this draft or a Philip Broberg.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So offense looks to be improving. Still some defensive issues though. Looks like the best case is that he stays in Utica for the year playing big minutes and works on the defense. Pretty encouraging progress though and he’s still quite young.

Reactions: NucksRock

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We have a Management Thread to discuss Jim Benning, his draft record, acquisition history, and all that jazz.

This is a thread to discuss Olli Juolevi. Please stay on topic, and try to avoid making things personal with on another.

Reactions: supercanuck

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
He’s tracking to be a 3/4 defenseman that you have to shelter due to his defensive play. Seems like he could be an MDZ

hes still only 20 I wouldnt say hes tracking to be a bad defensive player at all...if hes still suspect in a couple years then yeah ok.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Is he tracking to be a good defensive player? Cause from what I’ve seen that’s not true at all

I think he's tracking to be an OK defensive player. Olli Maata like, hampered by slow feet but makes good reads and has good positioning. If he keeps tracking the way he is then his offensive abilities should make up for his defensive shortcomings.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I don’t know about you guys, but 10 points in 14 games in the Ahl is quite impressive, can’t remember the last time we had a 20 year old d-men do that. He will make the Canucks next year.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I think he will be a 3/4 for sure but at 5th overall people are expecting a 1/2

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He’s sure piling up the points, so at least there’s that. If I’m not mistaken, those two assists put him behind only Boucher and MacEwen in team scoring.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I don’t know about you guys, but 10 points in 14 games in the Ahl is quite impressive, can’t remember the last time we had a 20 year old d-men do that. He will make the Canucks next year.

He actually had 2 assists tonight so 11pts in 14 games

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's putting up a very decent season so far, seems to definitely have more offensive potential than I thought he would. It's hard to see where Edler will fit in this team long term, he is an excellent top 4 defenceman but Canucks would want to transition their young players with those minutes. Hughes, Juolevi, and Hutton on LD next season will create a logjam for Edler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->