Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. III | Off to Juo-tica

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
But it's a Juolevi thread so why were you asking about UFA's? Why bring that up only to shut Pavel down when he gave you an answer? That's exactly the point I was making. He was responding to a question YOU asked.

And since you brought it up I've liked EP since day 1. I had him ranked around where we picked him. I just felt Vilardi was the better pick. But like others have mentioned, how is it too early to judge Juolevi when you're ready to dub EP a huge success? Also what EP hate? I've loved everything I've seen from him since he was drafted.
Perhaps I’m getting you confused with someone else re. “EP” hate. I’ve already judged Juolevi as I mentioned previously, he was the wrong pick. Just hoping he can be a 3rd or 4th D at this point. If he can earn a call up later in the season that’s a good start.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
This entire post is full of lies lol. I have no interest in any UFAs I simply stated that Tanev could be a good mentor for Juolevi at the end of the season. There is zero point discussing canucks prospects with you however. Juolevi is a disaster, EP and Boeser were huge mistakes. Everyone on here knows your anti-canucks schtick. Your boy Vilardi plays with the kings by the way ;)
Where did you state Tanev could be a good mentor? Either way, I was replying to your post:

He can play w Tanev

considering who would be the 3-4 pair, it's a silly idea (considering people are raving about his development at a lower level in the ahl)

But it doesn't matter I guess does it? Unless I blindly comment that I love the player, just rule out my post on a 'technicality' lol. Whatever floats your boat.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
lol....Its only here that posters pump up the oppositions players to belittle their own...
lol i'm sure this is the only forum in which posters complain about their teams prospects and talk up others on other teams, that they would have wanted to draft.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well the points in a small sample size in his first year in the AHL are impressive. If he keeps it up it looks like he could be a useful player on the PP. But we’ll have a better idea after he’s played more games as to whether he’s taken a step offensively.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well the points in a small sample size in his first year in the AHL are impressive. If he keeps it up it looks like he could be a useful player on the PP. But we’ll have a better idea after he’s played more games as to whether he’s taken a step offensively.

Juolevi has actually consistently put up points on the PP. People see his shot as not being a big bomb and think he isn't good on the PP.

Reactions: Verbalyst

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
But it's a Juolevi thread so why were you asking about UFA's? Why bring that up only to shut Pavel down when he gave you an answer? That's exactly the point I was making. He was responding to a question YOU asked.

And since you brought it up I've liked EP since day 1. I had him ranked around where we picked him. I just felt Vilardi was the better pick. But like others have mentioned, how is it too early to judge Juolevi when you're ready to dub EP a huge success? Also what EP hate? I've loved everything I've seen from him since he was drafted.

day one? i wouldn't call you a pettersson hater but didn't you call ep a blown pick when he was drafted? seems to me you hedged your bets on day 1.

Reactions: Red and Jimbo57

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
ok, y2k you did call ep a blown pick on draft day. you also said you'd only be happy with pettersson if vilardi and makar went first. seems to me you covered your bases a little there.

y2k said:
Has to be, but won't be.

Canucks are going to blow their pick taking Glass (or Pettersson) ahead of Vilardi. My prediction is Glass.

Before people look back and saying I'm just hating on everything Benning does...I'm calling this a blown pick before it's made. If they take Vilardi I'll be extremely pleased.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/133801017/

y2k said:
Makar or Vilardi. Anyone else and I'm not happy.

I'll open up my list to Pettersson, followed by Glass if the first two go 3-4.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/133771471/

Reactions: Jimbo57

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
-highly selected D
-returned to the same level in D+1 yr.
-numbers stagnate
-disappointing millions

If Hughes stagnates statistically this yr, it will be the perfect parallel with Juolevi because think of the logic people would use to explain potential reasons for said stagnation.
History shows that if Hughes numbers remain flat, people don't take kindly to context or suggested reasons why.

Even Virtanen who was coming off of an inactive summer into his D+1 was not tolerated.

Just the way it is. Flat numbers in your D+1, widespread disappointment and hand wringing.

Only reason he would escape it may be because only a handful of people wanted another player. So being right on the internet may supercede Benning/Hughes critique.

You are absolutely correct: If Hughes stagnates offensively, he will be criticized.

There are multiple prospects over the years that have played their D+1 seasons on weaker teams and they have still bettered their draft year numbers. Why should we expect different from him? Prospects like him are expected to dominate.

This was the first red flag with Juolevi, IMO. He failed to dominate his league. In fact, lesser Dmen on the same team outproduced him --> with the same missing top line (shocker).

The context of that season is set aside and ignored by those critical of Juolevi's D+1 season.

Incorrect, the context is absolutely understood. Yet still, expectations are high, as they should be.

What I find suspect about your position is that you are indirectly calling for attention to context in Juolevi's D+1 season, but have not mentioned his draft season? In other words, if Juolevi was hurt by an exiting top line, was he then buoyed by that top line in his draft season? Were his numbers inflated? Can't have it both ways.

To be sure, his PPG in the OHL has never been impressive. Compare his PPG to defensive dmen now playing in the NHL. That should provide some _context_.

Reactions: geebaan

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
maybe an analytics guy can help me with this.

what is the ratio of juolevi thread comments to minutes played?

You can't divide by zero.

Here is a list of defensemen taken later than Olli "accelerated develoment" Juolevi who have played NHL games, chronologically:

Mikhail Sergachev
Charlie McAvoy
Jakob Chychrun
Dennis Cholowski
Sam Girard
Filip Hronek
Victor Mete
Max Lajoie
Blake Hillman
Miro Heiskanen
Juuso Valimaki
Urho Vaakanainen
Henri Jokiharju
Sabastian Aho
Rasmus Dahlin
Evan Bouchard

We need to be patient with Olli, he is taking a longer route but will finish ahead of these guys .... but his development is being accelerated.

You can't make this shit up. Well I guess you can.

Reactions: timw33 and geebaan

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Remember when Luke Schenn was in the NHL straight away after being drafted? I wonder if Blues fans were complaining about Pietrangelo who took 2 years after being drafted to play in the NHL. Probably a few of them were and they look absolutely silly right now.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Remember when people preached patience with the likes of Griffin Reinhart, Slater Koekkoek or Duncan Siemens as defensemen take longer to develop?
Maybe we can find someone to take OJ for a first and a second like the islanders did with Griffin Reinhart

Reactions: y2kcanucks

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
You can't divide by zero.

Here is a list of defensemen taken later than Olli "accelerated develoment" Juolevi who have played NHL games, chronologically:

Mikhail Sergachev
Charlie McAvoy
Jakob Chychrun
Dennis Cholowski
Sam Girard
Filip Hronek
Victor Mete
Max Lajoie
Blake Hillman
Miro Heiskanen
Juuso Valimaki
Urho Vaakanainen
Henri Jokiharju
Sabastian Aho
Rasmus Dahlin
Evan Bouchard

We need to be patient with Olli, he is taking a longer route but will finish ahead of these guys .... but his development is being accelerated.

You can't make this **** up. Well I guess you can.

Including Dahlin on this list is ludicrous. Shitty pick from day 1 but let’s at least try to have reasonable discourse.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
... says the person incapable of grasping even the most basic concept of sarcasm.

Odd isn't it? Especially considering he's born and raised in an English speaking country (purely speculation).

I mean, sarcasm is the main denominator in our humor and this would mean he never grasped this growing up. I can't imagine how much he would have detested comedy shows, standup comedians or mistook jokes and got pissed about it.

You gotta figured he's on another level in paranoia and permanently side-eyed. Every time someone makes a joke he's thinking to himself, 'what did he mean by that? Is he serious?' while he's glaring at him side-eyed to pretend he understood the joke.

Reactions: ScottishCanuck

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016
Haha, what a bunch of whiners.

It's amusing how pointing out statistics about other players in comparison to Joulevi is 'belittling' to him. Go back to your safe places and let people actually have a discussion snowflakes.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Including Dahlin on this list is ludicrous. ****ty pick from day 1 but let’s at least try to have reasonable discourse.

I had a feeling someone would miss the point of the post and complain about this.

I was responding to the claim that his development is accelerated and listing every defenseman who has made it after him chronologically. If i left off Dahlin it would not be factual. The point isnt the names it's the number.

Last edited:

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I had a feeling someone would miss the point of the post and complain about this.

I was responding to the claim that his development is accelerated and listing every defenseman who has made it after him chronologically. If i left off Dahlin it would not be factual. The point isnt the names it's the number.

Here is what you said:

Here is a list of defensemen taken later than Olli "accelerated develoment" Juolevi who have played NHL games, chronologically

You’ll have to excuse me for misunderstanding the use of “later” I guess?

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
ok, y2k you did call ep a blown pick on draft day. you also said you'd only be happy with pettersson if vilardi and makar went first. seems to me you covered your bases a little there.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/133801017/

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/133771471/

Hey y2k, any interest in responding to this? It appears you weren't telling the truth about liking the pick and attempting to put yourself on the right side of history, which is an issue a lot of people have with you.

Reactions: Nomobo

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Remember when Luke Schenn was in the NHL straight away after being drafted? I wonder if Blues fans were complaining about Pietrangelo who took 2 years after being drafted to play in the NHL. Probably a few of them were and they look absolutely silly right now.

Remember when Jim Benning said Juolevi wouldn’t look out of place in the NHL at 17, and drafted him with that as part of his reasoning?

Reactions: Krnuckfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->