Olivier Roy

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Roy has looked bad all tournament, and horrible all game.

Don't understand why he started against both Russia and the Czechs, Visentin should have been given the game against the Czechs.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
For all those *****ing about Roy. Im way more concerned about defense than I am with goaltending. Ya, Roy is REALLY inconsistent (I never know what to expect with him) but Canada's defense is SUSPECT. I dont know how many times Canada couldnt get the puck out our would give it away.

Going into the tourney, I knew goaltending AND defense would be the weakness, however with Roy's preformance, it seems everyone is forgetting just how ****** the defence is playing.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Going into the tourney, I knew goaltending can AND defense would be the weakness, however with Roy's preformance, it seems everyone is forgetting just how ****** the defence is playing.

Team Canada cannot bring in 4 new D-man, but they can change goalies.

Besides, Canada`s D has looked good at times. Roy, not so much.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Jared Cowen was always a good prospect. He always had that talent. Roy fell because of the exact weaknesses that are being exposed in this tournament. Shots that regular junior forwards can't make, are shots that the best in the world can.

I watched Olivier Roy play at EDMONTON OILERS training camp. I could care less that these are the best junior players in the world. He played against NHL players in pre-season and training camp and did just fine there. Clearly he has some nerves as Team Canada's starter, it doesn't take away from how good of a prospect he is. Things like going down to early is an easy think to work on. This is all part of developement, all players have weaknesses.

You guys want Visentin, well Visentin has also looked shaky against weaker teams. Roy won the job, Team Canada knows his potential and I think they should stick with him. Dave Cameron needs to just settle him down though, give him a talk get his confidence back up and I think he'll be fine.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
They shoudl learn from our olympic staff.. brodeur was bad so switch to luongo.. roy bad switch to visentin lol

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I was just saying to a friend the other day how much I miss Justin Pogge.

The defense was also far superior to this year as well. Pogge would probably be getting lit up right now as well, but at least he is bigger.

Staal, Barker, Bourdon, and Parent were all playing really well and we still had Letang and Russel for offense

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i dont blame roy for the loss. Roy could've won it for us if he played better, but the team lost that game, mainly team defense. Vis might not have fared any better behind that team yesterday.

both goalies yesterday were just average. The teams were the difference.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
i dont blame roy for the loss. Roy could've won it for us if he played better, but the team lost that game, mainly team defense. Vis might not have fared any better behind that team yesterday.

both goalies yesterday were just average.
The teams were the difference.

That's being generous. Any more goaltending performances like this from Lehner and Roy/Visentin and that team's going home without a gold medal. That was one of the worst goaltending games I've ever seen in this tournament.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
The minute when the shootout started i was like.. We are losing this one... i have absolutely no confidence in Roy right now. Yes Canada didn't score but these shootout goals from Sweden could have been stopped.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I really hope Roy doesn't start tomorrow. At least if Visentin loses it I won't be sitting there stewing over the fact that they didn't go with the other guy. If Roy lets in a few softies right away and blows it, it'll be a bitter pill to swallow.

Last edited:

Booom

Jan 1, 2011
Agree, gotta make the switch.

On a side note, does Canada have any stud Goaltenders in the pipeline?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I watched Olivier Roy play at EDMONTON OILERS training camp. I could care less that these are the best junior players in the world. He played against NHL players in pre-season and training camp and did just fine there. Clearly he has some nerves as Team Canada's starter, it doesn't take away from how good of a prospect he is. Things like going down to early is an easy think to work on. This is all part of developement, all players have weaknesses.

You guys want Visentin, well Visentin has also looked shaky against weaker teams. Roy won the job, Team Canada knows his potential and I think they should stick with him. Dave Cameron needs to just settle him down though, give him a talk get his confidence back up and I think he'll be fine.

Teams don't scout goalies that hard prior to NHL pre-season. Its pre-season so they can scout for regular season. Over a long period of time, I have no doubt NHL players would exploit the hell out of Roy.

Team Canada does not care about potential, they care about having a player who can contribute to their gold medal. Roy has a steller SO record, so if Roy could play competently and win in case theres a shootout, it would be huge for Canada. Hes also an athletic goalie who can occasionally make the big saves in case of a defensive breakdown. I doubt Canada believed they would be dominated in their own zone like they did against Sweden and would give up so many shots. A positional goalie would have controlled the pace of the game, controlled the rebounds and made the game look easy, unlike Roy who made easy shots look hard.

Not sure how Visentin will play, but his scouting report says he is miles ahead of Roy positionally, and with Canada's defence, thats exactly what they need.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
He was the main reason for Canada winning the exhibition game against Sweden before the tournament, and also played better than Lehner in the last game between the teams. It's easy to blame the goalie, but there are a lot of other players that have been worse than he has on team Canada.

dm1371

May 29, 2010
Chicoutimi, QC
He was the main reason for Canada winning the exhibition game against Sweden before the tournament, and also played better than Lehner in the last game between the teams. It's easy to blame the goalie, but there are a lot of other players that have been worse than he has on team Canada.

That's because Roy can't play under pressure. There is alot more pressure in a 5-5 game vs Sweden in the shootouts than an exhibition game...

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I really hope Roy doesn't start tomorrow. At least if Visentin loses it I won't be sitting there stewing over the fact that they didn't go with the other guy. If Roy lets in a few softies right away and blows it, it'll be a bitter pill to swallow.

Well said.

RA9

Dec 30, 2009
When your team scores 5 goals and you DON'T win, thats when you know your a bad goalie..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Cameron's in a tough spot here. Go with Roy who has carried the mail so far, but at the same time struggled, or go with Visentin who is relatively "cold" in a must win game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->