Olivier Roy

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
There IS a reason Cameron and his staff picked Roy. For the same reason, they will stick with Roy. They didn't draw his name out of a hat. They didn't say "Meh, put him in, I suppose." They found strengths in Roy's game that Visentin doesn't have, and clearly, judging by the decision from Cameron, Visentin's weaknesses could lose us a game before Roy's could.
Agreed that Canada won't make a change. I would. But then, I wouldn't have gone with Roy to begin with. It might not have made a difference, impossible to know, but... where have all the goalies gone?

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I don't think he should have played in teh second game he played and after this he certainly better not play our next game. He seems to be really weak long side and he gets beaten glove side for bad goals. the first goal batted out of the air not much you can do but as soon as he was beat for that terrible second goal he would have been a spectator if I were behnd the bench.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

No, just my personal speculation. If he wasn't changed after any of the other games, I doubt he is here.
Well the reason why I think he might be out is that it was quite obvious he was panicing and was a nervous wreck all night which according to Mckenzie is a big reason why they stuck with him. He was fighting it all night.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I think he's worst goalie in the crease for Canada in the WJC in a very long time. I dont want him playing another minute in this tournament. He goes down soooooo early and has a very weak glove hand. Enjoy Edmonton :shakehead

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Roy wasnt the reason Canada lost this game, Both goalies were pretty bad - it happens. I would still go with Roy, changing goalies this far in to the tournament could pay off but it's certainly a gamble.

Forsburger

Feb 12, 2010
I think he's worst goalie in the crease for Canada in the WJC in a very long time. I dont want him playing another minute in this tournament. He goes down soooooo early and has a very weak glove hand. Enjoy Edmonton :shakehead

I'm not defending him because i'm and Edmonton fan but....

The kid is 19 he is obviously going to develop. A few bad games does not a bust make.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
Agreed that Canada won't make a change. I would. But then, I wouldn't have gone with Roy to begin with. It might not have made a difference, impossible to know, but... where have all the goalies gone?

I think Canada was too loyal to Jake Allen last year, and it cost them when he was fighting the puck. If the QF game is against the Swiss, I think Visentin gets the start. Switzerland is a good team, but not the high powered offense that some teams have, and it would get Visentin into the swing of things.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Roy wasnt the reason Canada lost this game, Both goalies were pretty bad - it happens. I would still go with Roy, changing goalies this far in to the tournament could pay off but it's certainly a gamble.

Thank God somebody else sees it. The team out front was just as bad as he was.

Sep 19, 2008
Bob McKenzie thinks Visentin will start next game

I am also wary of a goalie change, going into an elimination game with Vistentin as a starter, who knows what he has? He hasn't played against elite competition in his pre-tournament and tournament games. It's just a big question mark

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I am also wary of a goalie change, going into an elimination game with Vistentin as a starter, who knows what he has? He hasn't played against elite competition in his pre-tournament and tournament games. It's just a big question mark

Problem is that Roys performance was terrible. Anything would be an improvement over that.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB

It's just a risk we gotta take, imo. Roy was brutal.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

It's definitely a gamble either way.

Can Roy play any worse? No. Has Visentin faced any shots that weren't routine? No. Visentin has basically faced 20 shots in competition in nearly 2 weeks going into the next game and didn't really look all that solid either after misplaying a few pucks and letting in a bad goal.

They might not have a choice to go to Visentin but Cameron doesn't seem like the kind of guy to panic either way.

The one thing I don't understand is why they didn't just put Visentin in today? It was a non-elimination game and as much as we would have loved to get the bye to the semi's, we should have put Visentin in to see what he has against some good competition...that way we can assess the situation better going into the game against the Swiss...them sticking with Roy all game makes me think they either wanted him to grind it out because they plan to stay with him or that they just wanted to see if he would gain some confidence in case Visentin falters later on and they have to go back to him in later in the medal round

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Why was Olivier Roy in net for Canada in this game is the question.

He was more than shaky against Russia, still didn't look solid against the Czechs. and then he automatically gets to start the Sweden game? Why? I don't get it. Why not give both Roy and Visentin 2 games each, Roy proved nothing in the first two to be the starter.

This was a bad decision by the coaching staff from the get go and it cost them. 3 really bad goals, he should have been pulled.

Please, please start Visentin.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Both goalies let in some goals they would have liked to have back. However, Roy was far from impressive this afternoon.

EDIT: Congrats to Sweden. They smelt blood and took it to Canada hard. The team in red had no business being in that game for the second half of the game.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

At first glance of Canada's upcoming game, the opponent being Switzerland, you would feel easier to start Visentin. After seeing the Swiss out hustle the US tonight I would second guess that decision. If Canada puts in the same effort on Sunday that they did this afternoon, then they will be down early. If I were Cameron I would start Visentin.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

At first glance of Canada's upcoming game, the opponent being Switzerland, you would feel easier to start Visentin. After seeing the Swiss out hustle the US tonight I would second guess that decision. If Canada puts in the same effort on Sunday that they did this afternoon, then they will be down early. If I were Cameron I would start Visentin.

I disagree. I believe the Swiss will be tired.

I also believe they will be a chance for Visentin to get his feet wet.

It is just like the Olympics in Vancouver. Canada went with Luongo in the Quarters and things played out well. It will again this year.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
If Canada's learned anything from last year it's not to leave their go-to goaltender in too long. Jake Allen essentially lost us the gold medal last year and if we leave Roy in this time around we won't even get to the gold medal game. This is coming from an Oilers fan. Roy has played three ****** games and Visentin's played solid against Norway. This should be a no-brainer. Visentin the rest of the way.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Roy actually didn't play terribly from a net presence perspective, imo, but his game management was definitely below par. He didn't control the pace of the game well at all. He needed to stop play much more than he did, because the team was on its heels so much of the game.

Getting Kassian back should be a big help, but the dmen were anything but effective against the Swedes. Despres and Gudbranson were the only ones who looked composed out there. Ellis, DeHaan, Barrie, Cowan, and Olsen looked very uninspired. DeHaan (due to injury?) and Olsen, in particular, looked very out of place out there.

MaxChart

Nov 7, 2010
Montréal
I don't remember a Team Canada junior goalie that was as bad as Roy in the tourney.

God that guy has been awful since day one.

I have 0 faith in him.

MerryJ99

Aug 13, 2006
Edmonton
When a team wins the Goal scorers are the heroes when the team looses the goalie is always made out to be the villain. Never is it the fault of the whole team. Roy did not play a great game, but it was not terrible as some here say, and where was the Defence tonight, they did not play all that great either, they should shoulder some of the blame as well. He did take the Game to OT against a very tough opponent and lost in the skills competition...and Canada put a Defenceman out in the shootout in the first 3 shooters (WTF), but this loss is all Roy's fault according to some posters here. Don't you think that some of you are just being a bit too harsh on the kid? :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad