Olivier Roy

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by HemskyToHall*, Dec 27, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. He had a recent stint last season with an awful Falcons team in the AHL and had decent numbers. He was Canada's starter for the first game against the Russians and looked 'meh'.

What makes him a step below the elite goalie prospects? (Bernier, Campbell, Pickard, Markstrom)

Can he make the NHL?

All info is appreciated. :)

2. Brandinho

Brandinho manlets btfo

Size is the biggest issue. He's excellent laterally, great athleticism and he uses that to compensate for a small frame. If he's not on, he simply leaves too much of the net exposed. He's also not particularly great at handling the puck and it seems his confidence might yo-yo a bit because he's definitely not consistent. The other thing that hurts him, at least as far as prospect status goes, is the fact that he burst onto the scene and was so good at such a young age and people assumed it'd just be onward and upward from there. However, his progression has been a bit slower than some would like and that might cause some to doubt his upside. It's almost like the initial hype backfired a bit. But in terms of talent, he has NHL starting goalie upside. The reason he's below the prospects you mentioned is that they bring similar packages of skill with much larger frames and more projectability. Though Pickard has no business in this discussion. Never liked him, although he's certainly in the right org. A monkey could put up a .920 save percentage in Nashville. See: Dan Ellis.

3. HuskyFlames

HuskyFlames Registered User

I thought his rebound control looked very poor.

4. Minister of Offence

Minister of Offence Registered User

Home Page:
    He reminds me of what I find wrong with Pascal Leclaire. His athleticism will give you great game(s) in spurts but over the long haul he's always going to be too small and at this point appears too unrefined, although that can be worked with long-term.

5. Parise9Crosby87

Parise9Crosby87 Registered User

looks pretty good but small which will be a factor in the nhl

6. LaLaLaprise

LaLaLaprise lalalaprise -twitter

Hes 6 foot...he was measured by CSB...

There have been lots of successful goalies who have ranged in size from 5'11 to 6'01..Roy's issues arent size related.

7. Leviathan

Leviathan Registered User

Reminds me of Marc Andre Fleury...big saves, bad goals, very athletic

8. LaLaLaprise

To be honest I dont really consider Roy to be an athletic goalie...his quickness is a tick above average but he is much more positional than people give him credit for...

9. Alfieghetti

Alfieghetti inflamed

Being the son of Andre Roy isn't going to help him, but hopefully he can bust through the sonofagoon stigma and be a serviceable backup someday.

10. Brandinho

Brandinho manlets btfo

That's not the problem with Leclaire. Injuries have robbed him of much of his ability. And when he does put together a decent string of games, he just ends up getting hurt again. Ankle injuries = death for goalies.

11. Brandinho

Brandinho manlets btfo

Interesting, primarily because it contradicts every single scouting report I've ever seen on Roy, as well as my own experiences viewing him.

12. hfboardsuser

hfboardsuser Registered User

Uh, what? If Olivier was Andre's son, Andre would have been a dad at 16. ;)

13. danyhabsfan

danyhabsfan Registered User

younger Roy=athletic
    older Roy=positional

14. Brandinho

Brandinho manlets btfo

Athleticism doesn't disappear. His reflexes are still top notch, he just doesn't rely on them to his detriment anymore.

15. I don't think injuries robbed him of anything. I saw him when he was having that great year he didn't look any different and he had bad games then too. He's just never been that good.

16. Brandinho

Brandinho manlets btfo

Uh yeah, injuries definitely have been the biggest problem. Leclaire's weakness is that he's overly reliant on his athleticism. His technique, positioning, etc, are solid but not quite up to par. When the athleticism suffers, even a bit, you're going to notice a difference. There's also the mental aspect of not being able to do what you once could and we all know how much of an impact a goalie's psyche has on his performance. Finally, goaltending is about establishing and maintaining a rhythm. That's impossible to do when you keep getting hurt.

17. I agree, that said his biggest problem hasn't had to do with dimished skill. He's a guy that over-commits to a shooter. It's a problem thats never changed with him. He's got the skillset he just doesn't have the mental aspect down. He's a bit like Matheui Garon.

18. Brandinho

Brandinho manlets btfo

I agree that this is definitely part of the problem but I still notice a difference between the Leclaire that put up great numbers that year in Columbus and the Leclaire of today, he's just not quite as quick, not quite as explosive. It magnifies his other issues, some of which you've pointed out.

19. LaLaLaprise

He isnt athletic like MAF yet people keep comparing the two...to be honest hes not very athletic at all if you compare him to most NHL goalies...im not sure what people are watching...

20. LaLaLaprise

Reflexes and athleticism arent the same though. He has very very good reflexes and is good at kicking out that leg...but post-to-post and up and down he is average at best.

21. LaLaLaprise

Leclaire has had injury problems since he was 15...every year its something new...hes the only goalie ive seen get hurt in warm up and he did it twice when he was in Halifax...

Injuries stunted his development all the way up, not just in the last 2-3 years.

22. GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama Registered User

What I thought as well. Looks like a poor man's Fleury.

23. Brandinho

Brandinho manlets btfo

Well there isn't a single goalie in the NHL as athletic as Fleury, but I think you're out to lunch on the second part. I respect your opinion, you seem very well informed, so I really don't understand how you can say he's not very athletic compared to NHL goalies. You have some sort of bias against him?

24. LaLaLaprise

No...I actually like him a lot...I just find he has very good reflexes but he isnt athletic going post to post...thats all.

And LOL at the person above you saying he is anything close to MAF...completely different styles and movements in the net.

25. Brandinho

Brandinho manlets btfo

Then it seems as if we use different terminology, that's all. Fair enough.