Prospect Info: Olivier Rodrigue Signed to entry-level contract

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a bit curious how Holland is making these decisions. I mean some guys I guess are no brainers, but I wonder where he is gather his intel from.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm a bit curious how Holland is making these decisions. I mean some guys I guess are no brainers, but I wonder where he is gather his intel from.
Like you said a signing like this is an absolute no brainer when you spent a 2nd on him last year, but I've got a feeling Holland is the kind of guy who has a general feeling on a large portion of all the assets in the league. At least that's the impression I get listening to him and listening to other people talk about his style. Plus I'm guessing he's utilizing KGretz a ton at this point, especially with the prospects.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Like you said a signing like this is an absolute no brainer when you spent a 2nd on him last year, but I've got a feeling Holland is the kind of guy who has a general feeling on a large portion of all the assets in the league. At least that's the impression I get listening to him and listening to other people talk about his style. Plus I'm guessing he's utilizing KGretz a ton at this point, especially with the prospects.
One would think that bodes well for him then.

Then again it is only two signings, but if it continues you have to think Holland has time for Gretz

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No brainer, but I’m still glad it got done. I’m really high on Rodrigue. He kind of reminds me of Fleury. He’s not huge, but he’s extremely quick, and a very positionally sound goalie

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’d have to imagine that means we wasted a pick by acquiring Hawkey’s rights?

They won’t appear on Chia’s “worst of” highlight reels but throwing away draft picks on Montoya, Hawkey, and Vesey is just nonsensical.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
No brainer, but I’m still glad it got done. I’m really high on Rodrigue. He kind of reminds me of Fleury. He’s not huge, but he’s extremely quick, and a very positionally sound goalie

Can you elaborate on his upside and why his Save % is so low for such a positive review? Was his team just giving up high percentage scoring opportunities? 35-9-1 with a good GAA but a .902 save % is kind of weird no? Or is it the league.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Can you elaborate on his upside and why his Save % is so low for such a positive review? Was his team just giving up high percentage scoring opportunities? 35-9-1 with a good GAA but a .902 save % is kind of weird no? Or is it the league.

SV% is pretty low in the Q.

I think he has the 8th highest for starters.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
I’d have to imagine that means we wasted a pick by acquiring Hawkey’s rights?

They won’t appear on Chia’s “worst of” highlight reels but throwing away draft picks on Montoya, Hawkey, and Vesey is just nonsensical.

I don't think the Olivier Rodrigue signing impacts Hawkey. Still hoping we get Hawkey signed. Don't we have til mid-August? I believe Holland will look at the UFA's, RFA's and unsigned draft picks and make the right decisions on who gets a contract going forward. I just hope that includes Hawkey and that he is willing to sign with the Oil.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Save percentages are wonky low in the Q.

I don’t have a huge sample watching him, but he seems to track the puck extremely well, and is one of the more agile goalies I’ve seen in a while. He’s got an explosive push, which bodes well for transitioning to pro, since the higher the skill level of the shooter, the more important it becomes to be able to get in position quickly. You can teach things like rebound control. It’s much harder to teach a goalie to move like Rodrigue

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
SV% is pretty low in the Q.

I think he has the 8th highest for starters.

Save percentages are wonky low in the Q.

I don’t have a huge sample watching him, but he seems to track the puck extremely well, and is one of the more agile goalies I’ve seen in a while. He’s got an explosive push, which bodes well for transitioning to pro, since the higher the skill level of the shooter, the more important it becomes to be able to get in position quickly. You can teach things like rebound control. It’s much harder to teach a goalie to move like Rodrigue

Jesus, its just a more offense forward league with fewer outside shots? His GAA is great but the save % makes no sense to me.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jesus, its just a more offense forward league with fewer outside shots? His GAA is great but the save % makes no sense to me.
Defense in the Q is pretty bad in general. High scoring league cause the quality of chances are high

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad