Olivier Latendresse.

The Jerk*

Can I get some more info on the lesser known, older brother of a certain Canadiens prospect? He was signed by the Coyotes in 2004 after going undrafted and has seemingly been tearing up the Q since then. What does he project as? Strengths, weaknesses? Any help at all is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

The Jerk*

Thanks for that. It seems that size was an issue for scouts, and that probably led to him going undrafted. It seems some guys that were prolific scorers in junior that don't have size get drafted early (Bourret, Cogliano) and other go completely undrafted (Ryan Shannon, Martin St. Pierre, Latendresse, even Andy McDonald). With Bourret, although small in stature, size was obviously not an issue, the kid is "a fire hydrant on skates" as I've heard him referred to as more then once. With Cogliano, it may have been his world class speed that made him a first rounder. I don't know, just interesting I thought..

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Can I get some more info on the lesser known, older brother of a certain Canadiens prospect? He was signed by the Coyotes in 2004 after going undrafted and has seemingly been tearing up the Q since then. What does he project as? Strengths, weaknesses? Any help at all is appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Far smaller than his brother. I don't know about is play, but his 5'10" didn't help him in the draft for sure.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I made a thread on this about two years ago asking why he wasn't drafted. To this day I still don't have a good answer. I mean 5'10 isn't horribly small, it's just below average height for a hockey player. His hockey sense, skating, offensive instincts, passing and shooting are good enough to land him a job as a top 6 forward in the next couple of years.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
He'll be counted on to make a lot of plays in San Antonio next season. I hope he produces, because the Coyotes' cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to legitimate offensive weapons.

The Jerk*

I made a thread on this about two years ago asking why he wasn't drafted. To this day I still don't have a good answer. I mean 5'10 isn't horribly small, it's just below average height for a hockey player. His hockey sense, skating, offensive instincts, passing and shooting are good enough to land him a job as a top 6 forward in the next couple of years.

If you click on the link above posted by Dan -
"Listen to this, Latendresse talking about a number of topics"

Olivier talks about his overall conditioning which is apparently very good, and he says himself that he "knows he's 5'9", so he has to be in the best shape that he can possibly be in because he can't change that" or something along those lines. Size appears to be the reason behind him going undrafted.

habs777

Jan 18, 2006
I saw the 2 Lantendresse brothers when they played for the College Charles-Lemoyne at the Migdet AAA level. Olivier was the best of both by a mile, he's skilled, fast with a brillant hockey sens but he's small. That's the only barrier to play in the NHL but if look at a Briere or St-Louis or Gionta, he can have is place on a second line and on the PP in a few years. He can put at least 60 pts in the NHL if Wayne give him is chance. Bonne chance Olivier!

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I saw the 2 Lantendresse brothers when they played for the College Charles-Lemoyne at the Migdet AAA level. Olivier was the best of both by a mile, he's skilled, fast with a brillant hockey sens but he's small. That's the only barrier to play in the NHL but if look at a Briere or St-Louis or Gionta, he can have is place on a second line and on the PP in a few years. He can put at least 60 pts in the NHL if Wayne give him is chance. Bonne chance Olivier!

Well that's to be expected, Guillaume was 14 years old when he broke into the league (I think he was the youngest along with Elayoubi and Bourret) coming out of pee wee. He still put up a point per game. Mighty impressive for a big guy.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Looking at the Coyotes current lineup, there is a very outside chance he could crack the opening day lineup, but it's a chance nonetheless. Of course, if the Coyotes make any other moves (and I'm really hoping they do), it could be easier or harder for him to make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->