Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Y'all are acting like Treliving already traded Kylington for 7th lmao, he's still on the f***ing team

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Roslovic is way better than Kylington. Not sure why the Jets would entertain that tbh.

Roslovic and Chucky are friends iirc.

I’m pretty sure they played on a line together with Auston Matthews back in the USDP

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'm sure Kylington just wants to get on with his career. Meaning playing a lot wherever as long as it is in the NHL.

If he could be patient for another year, the waters may part for him in Calgary and he could realize playing full time here. As in the Flames could lose a veteran D in the expansion draft and a spot would be there for him if he earns it through his play this year. Right now he is a part of a strong D lineup with a team could contend for the cup.

Or, the Flames could trade him if they are still at a contract impasse when training camp starts. It is up to him to decide I think.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I’d do it.
One problem. The forwards that the Flames choose to protect is dicey as it is. If Roslovic was acquired via a trade, he would have to be protected. Then, who would be dropped from the protected list? Right now I could see the Flames protecting Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Lindholm, Dube, and Bennett leaving veterans Backlund and Lucic exposed (assuming he waives his NMC). If Roslovic is better than one of the aforementioned, he bumps them off the list. If the Flames place a greater value on keeping Backs, then two of the players gets dropped off the list.

If the Flames retain Kylington I imagine he would be a protected D as the Flames would risk losing one of Giordano or Tanev instead of risking Hanifin, Andersson, or Kylington.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
One problem. The forwards that the Flames choose to protect is dicey as it is. If Roslovic was acquired via a trade, he would have to be protected. Then, who would be dropped from the protected list? Right now I could see the Flames protecting Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Lindholm, Dube, and Bennett leaving veterans Backlund and Lucic exposed (assuming he waives his NMC). If Roslovic is better than one of the aforementioned, he bumps them off the list. If the Flames place a greater value on keeping Backs, then two of the players gets dropped off the list.

If the Flames retain Kylington I imagine he would be a protected D as the Flames would risk losing one of Giordano or Tanev instead of risking Hanifin, Andersson, or Kylington.

I would way rather expose a guy like Bennett than keep Kylington at the expense of exposing Gio or Tanev.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

The Flames would not protect Kylington over 38 year old Gio or Tanev. We didn't even play him over Gus, Forbort or even Stone much for that matter. He holds very little value to the organization

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Flames will not protect Gio or Tanev not because they don't value them or currently value Kylington more. They will not protect them because it will relieve them of a higher cost contract for a potentially declining asset value. The cap room will be used in part for Valimaki's new contract.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Right now, barring aything wild, Kylington has zero chance of being protected over Giordano lmao. The organization has shown a lack of trust in him and the thought of us ditching the captain for money reasons is an absolute yikes. The only reason Kylington would be protected over Giordano is if we're confident he wouldn't be picked due to age and contract length, or if Giordano declines and Kylington makes massive strides this season. There has been zero faith put into Kylington by the organization and he firmly sits behind Hanifin, Giordano, and Valimaki on the left-side. At this rate, even a 38 year old Giordano would hold more value than Kylington, the amount of hype he recieves for sitting in the press box on this site is absurd.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It's all about succession planning and timing. Who is projected to ultimately be the #1 LD? Will that person be ready in two years or he is ready now? If ready, can you get one more season after this (to be fair maybe even more)? Are you prepared to give up on a young asset? If so, trading him for another asset to fill a gap might be what is needed. Of course if that asset needs to be protected then you might just bump someone else out.

The Flames will lose one player in the draft. They can dangle a forward, e.g. Bennett or Backlund and stay safe with their D-men. Or they can dangle a D-man, e.g. Gio or Tanev (or both) to protect one of those forwards and all three of their young D-men.

They need to look to the future. Not one year or two, but six or seven. Sacrificing a vet today may pay dividends down the road as there will be extra cap space and room for the youngsters. So of the D-men, do you keep the 38 year old (Gio) or the 30 year old (Tanev)? You can protect them both.

Or do you dangle them both and protect that 23 year old asset with elite skating ability and the runway to improve? Remember we can only lose one player. Who will it be?

My vote is to expose Gio, Tanev, Backlund, Lucic (again if he waves) and protect the young talent that we have. Use the cap room to re-up a youngster and use a good chunk to fill a gap via a UFA or a trade.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It's all about succession planning and timing. Who is projected to ultimately be the #1 LD? Will that person be ready in two years or he is ready now? If ready, can you get one more season after this (to be fair maybe even more)? Are you prepared to give up on a young asset? If so, trading him for another asset to fill a gap might be what is needed. Of course if that asset needs to be protected then you might just bump someone else out.

The Flames will lose one player in the draft. They can dangle a forward, e.g. Bennett or Backlund and stay safe with their D-men. Or they can dangle a D-man, e.g. Gio or Tanev (or both) to protect one of those forwards and all three of their young D-men.

They need to look to the future. Not one year or two, but six or seven. Sacrificing a vet today may pay dividends down the road as there will be extra cap space and room for the youngsters. So of the D-men, do you keep the 38 year old (Gio) or the 30 year old (Tanev)? You can protect them both.

Or do you dangle them both and protect that 23 year old asset with elite skating ability and the runway to improve? Remember we can only lose one player. Who will it be?

My vote is to expose Gio, Tanev, Backlund, Lucic (again if he waves) and protect the young talent that we have. Use the cap room to re-up a youngster and use a good chunk to fill a gap via a UFA or a trade.
My guess is the 1st + Kylington are offer up in exchange for Seattle selecting Lucic. I have my doubts if Kylington will be an NHL defenseman, let alone worth protecting.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

I mean, you look at it and if you're projecting 6-7 years down the road you understand Giordano is out of the league, and it's like, projecting that far is where the importance of this season for Kylington is. If he continually shows that he is lacking the ability to step into that runway (whether Calgary's usage of him is related to that or not), then losing Giordano who was head and shoulder still the best defensemen by 9 points, is our captain, and has continually shown that he is able to stay ahead of the age curve, is a tough proposition for the team. Tanev is being exposed either way and then we have Andersson and Hanifin as the easy locks (they surprisingly produced the same points last season), so it's between Giordano and Kylington. The draft is still a ways out, but sacrificing one of our veteran leaders who holds hella value to us for 'cap reasosn' and to build for the 'future' makes no sense when that 'future' has continually been passed over and has not showed defensive progression that is meaningful.

For the forwards I feel like leaving Lucic and Backlund exposed is alright, since you are either losing a big contract or Seattle is scared off. But the idea of putting Giordano on the block is the thought that he'd be safe from being picked due to his contract and age, not to say a premature goodbye to the captain of the franchise, that's just way too much on the line for a player we haven't even signed yet

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Fair enough. All good points. As I've posted before Gio may very well be one of those guys that plays into his 40's.
Its not about Gio, his age is something thats unavoidable. Its about Kylington and not really being any good at anything, except for skating. He simply doesn't have the shot, brains or physicality to make up for his shortcomings in other areas.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I know I just went on the whole thing where we shouldn't protect Kylington and he's overhyped, but f*** if the Hamonic rumours are true and Kylington is unsigned so we can pursue him to play over Kylington, I am gonna blow a gasket.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Its not about Gio, his age is something thats unavoidable. Its about Kylington and not really being any good at anything, except for skating. He simply doesn't have the shot, brains or physicality to make up for his shortcomings in other areas.

I hear what you're saying, but Kylington's shot isn't one of his issues. I'd argue besides Gio, he has the next best shot on the blueline.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I hear what you're saying, but Kylington's shot isn't one of his issues. I'd argue besides Gio, he has the next best shot on the blueline.
You're obviously forgetting about Ras, who had the best point shot on team. Ras, followed by Gio, then I say Valimaki and debatably Hanifin before Kylington even comes into the conversation. The point is who cares by this stage. Its a debate about average or below average by this point and not even close to where it needs to be for Kylington to make up for his deficiencies. From where I'm sitting, the kid needs to score at a Gustafsson pace or better to be a full time NHLer, and I just don't see that happening.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Imo Kylington has a good shot, I don't think it stands out in anyways but he can locate it through traffic sometimes (Goal against the Ducks), but his biggest strength is sneaking in and getting quick, hard one-timers off (Nashville, and Edmonton goals), and he also can step in carry it in (against carolina iirc). I don't think he has shown the ability to do any of those consistently but I think he has a lot of diversity in how he attacks the net, and a majority of his assists come off his shot iirc

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think if we see a trade, we see it soon. Training camp is starting before we know iy and if we trade him to a US team, he'll need to quarantine for 14 days. There's no chance in hell we trade him within the division

Reactions: Nanuuk

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I defended Hamonic pretty hard, last year, but he opted out of the playoffs. I understand that he had legit reasons and I get it but the last thing this team needs is more distractions, after last years circus. For that reason alone, I hope we walk away. I mean the situation definitely hasn't improved so I don't see how it could be a good idea to give him the opportunity to walk out on the team again.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You're obviously forgetting about Ras, who had the best point shot on team. Ras, followed by Gio, then I say Valimaki and debatably Hanifin before Kylington even comes into the conversation. The point is who cares by this stage. Its a debate about average or below average by this point and not even close to where it needs to be for Kylington to make up for his deficiencies. From where I'm sitting, the kid needs to score at a Gustafsson pace or better to be a full time NHLer, and I just don't see that happening.

Ras definitely has a good shot, but I’m still more impressed by Oliver’s when I see it. Hanifin has a shot like Jbo. And I haven’t seen enough from Valimaki to really say anything with confidence.

Kylington is one of our better players at actually having a shot that an opposing team would need to defend. I’m fine with someone saying they think Ras has a better one, but I think it’s a debate for sure.

And on your other point, I don’t want Hamonic back either. Yeah I love him, but what cap are we clearing for him? Rittich, no thanks. Ryan, no thanks, honestly Looch is more valuable to this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad