Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Plus/minus... in 2020... in the AHL... on a team with Jon Gillies in net

Ok

They sent him down because he defence was subpar in the NHL.
He went to the AHL and scored a hat trick, and still ended up a negative goal against player 5v5.
No need to get upset or salty.

The hit on this dude was never the fact he is an uber gifted skater and offensive player... it's the fact he isn't a good defender when teams cross the red line against him. It wasn't "Reasons", it was this team hoping they can carve out a legit NHL'er out of this dude.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He went to the AHL and scored a hat trick, and still ended up a negative goal against player 5v5.

The hit on this dude was never the fact he is an uber gifted skater and offensive player... it's the fact he isn't a good defender when teams cross the red line against him. It wasn't "Reasons", it was this team hoping they can carve out a legit NHL'er out of this dude.
Neither upset nor salty. Do yourself a favour and watch the goals against that Kylington was out there for. One was definitively his fault. The others came from hilarious team defense and goaltending that is characteristic of how chaotic the AHL is.

I am cringing at plus/minus being brought up during a season where Hamonic is third in Dmen with a -3, and Andersson and Hanifin are a distant last with -15 in that group of 6.

The defense has much bigger problems than Kylington, namely Hamonic looking like a borderline NHLer and Gio cratering into a #4 guy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Neither upset nor salty. Do yourself a favour and watch the goals against that Kylington was out there for. One was definitively his fault. The others came from hilarious team defense and goaltending that is characteristic of how chaotic the AHL is.

I am cringing at plus/minus being brought up during a season where Hamonic is third in Dmen with a -3, and Andersson and Hanifin are a distant last with -15 in that group of 6.

The defense has much bigger problems than Kylington, namely Hamonic looking like a borderline NHLer and Gio cratering into a #4 guy

Your first point was that he was sent down to the AHL for "Reasons". And I'm pointing out that he was sent down there to become a complete Dman on both ends. He does himself few favours when he scores 3 goals and somehow still ends up on the wrong end of the scoresheet. Also, I have watched the highlights of that game; and again it circles back to why he's down there.

Saying 'Well, one's on him, but the others, NOPE!" doesn't really help his case as to areas of improvement. He's down there because he has the tendency with limited ice time to make glaring mistakes and be an easy dman to play against. The guy has the talent to fix it, it's just a matter of putting it together.

Kylington hasn't been an issue. Yes, he's cost us probably more than he's helped us this year, but the same can be said for pretty much every Dman we've iced this year maybe outside of Gio or Brodie.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

To expect that basically a 1st year or second year guy is going to be world beater and a defensive stalwart isn't realistic. Kylington coming along and that is the important part. Learn from making mistakes.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To expect that basically a 1st year or second year guy is going to be world beater and a defensive stalwart isn't realistic. Kylington coming along and that is the important part. Learn from making mistakes.

100%
Having him spend some time in the minors here and there and play 25 minutes is never a bad thing either.

I am a big Kylington fan. I mean, I'm not dopey enough to think he's a Norris caliber D, but I do really think there could be a high end middle pairing offensive guy there.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Your first point was that he was sent down to the AHL for "Reasons". And I'm pointing out that he was sent down there to become a complete Dman on both ends. He does himself few favours when he scores 3 goals and somehow still ends up on the wrong end of the scoresheet. Also, I have watched the highlights of that game; and again it circles back to why he's down there.

Saying 'Well, one's on him, but the others, NOPE!" doesn't really help his case as to areas of improvement. He's down there because he has the tendency with limited ice time to make glaring mistakes and be an easy dman to play against. The guy has the talent to fix it, it's just a matter of putting it together.

Kylington hasn't been an issue. Yes, he's cost us probably more than he's helped us this year, but the same can be said for pretty much every Dman we've iced this year maybe outside of Gio or Brodie.
We'd won 3 of 4 and he hadn't been a problem in those games before he got sent down. That demotion was a 3 game stint that probably taught him nothing other than he's the easy odd man out if he slips up because of his waiver eligibility.

I'm going to let you die on the -3 hill, because it's a baffling thing to take a hard-line stance and leave it at that

Reactions: ScrewNHLOfficiating

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We'd won 3 of 4 and he hadn't been a problem in those games before he got sent down. That demotion was a 3 game stint that probably taught him nothing other than he's the easy odd man out if he slips up because of his waiver eligibility.

I'm going to let you die on the -3 hill, because it's a baffling thing to take a hard-line stance and leave it at that

You’ve missed the point, but I’m fine to leave it at that. I’ll take the side of Dmen, one of which has played almost 1000 games in the NHL regarding Kylington. You can team up with OKG. I’m okay with being on that side of the fence.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Good wheels, good offensive instinct, but both sides of the game just don't come naturally to him.

This might be the best description of him. Some of his plays are just so smooth and silky, especially on breakouts and passing the puck around the o-zone, but other times he's getting pushed off pucks and falling with nobody else around. His hands can't cash the checks that his brain is writing a lot of the time as well. All that being said, he is 100% the defenseman I'd love to see get more ice time, with good (i.e. Brodie, Giordano) partners to see what he can really do. This is not the type of player you coach into playing safe, you need to let him make mistakes so that they can be learned from.

To me he's basically defenseman Bennett without the gritty side. All the tools but still putting together the toolbox. I have faith both of them will figure it out though.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I think his defensive miscues are overstated, he definitely has some glaring ones (Draistatl goal a few weeks ago) but every young defensemen has those. He's impressed me with his strength in the d-zone and his play without the puck, a lot of broken plays have resulted from Kylington getting his stick in the right place. He does the right thing more often than not on the ice. I think Kyl has real potential, and the Norris-D calibre thing might be a bit out there but I think if he develops properly he seriously could have a Karlsson like ceiling. Obviously reaching that probably won't happen here but I think he's a pretty special player.

Like...I look at our youth d-core and f*** me we should be excited (assuming everyone develops accordingly and Valimaki returns the same guy). Just don't re-sign Hammer...

Valimaki-Andersson
Hanifin-Kylington

Now if Hanifin gets head out of his ass and works on his speed, we're good.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The jury is still out on Valimaki. Yes he is projected to be very, very good, but he hasn't proven it yet due to his injuries. Kylington has been thrust into the breach and is learning under fire. This gives him a leg up on Valimaki for now. The question in my mind is how long would it take for Jusso to overcome Oliver's head start?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The jury is still out on Valimaki. Yes he is projected to be very, very good, but he hasn't proven it yet due to his injuries. Kylington has been thrust into the breach and is learning under fire. This gives him a leg up on Valimaki for now. The question in my mind is how long would it take for Jusso to overcome Oliver's head start?

Honestly I think it’ll be 1 game. Valimaki was frequently better than some of our veteran D in many of the games he did play.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Honestly I think it’ll be 1 game. Valimaki was frequently better than some of our veteran D in many of the games he did play.
Provided there are no deficits from Valimaki's injury he will be the successor to Gio.

Kylington is simply not as complete a package to this point. The poise and hockey sense Valimaki played with in his rookie year was noticeably way better than Oliver. Out of all the good defensemen Calgary has Valimaki is likely the most talented since MacInnis.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
P

Kylington is simply not as complete a package to this point. The poise and hockey sense Valimaki played with in his rookie year was noticeably way better than Oliver. Out of all the good defensemen Calgary has Valimaki is likely the most talented since MacInnis.

It looks like at this point the Flames have four defensemen signed to this point (including Valimaki) with five unrestricted free agents and then five more non-roster defensemen signed for 2020-21.

As an unrestricted free agent, will Kylington be re-signed by Calgary? If so, will any of the minor pro candidates challenge him for the seventh spot with the Flames?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What's taking so long signing this player? Dunno if it's suspicious but it is curious. Maybe there are some teams interested. Do you guys think Kylington is going to be on the opening day roster?

Or do I need to get an early start on my Nikita Nesterov voodoo doll

Khrox

May 31, 2018
What's taking so long signing this player? Dunno if it's suspicious but it is curious. Maybe there are some teams interested. Do you guys think Kylington is going to be on the opening day roster?
Apparently a lot of unsigned contracts have agreements "in place" basically waiting for a season start date to sign so that teams don't have to keep paying guys. Not saying that's the case here, but it might be part of it?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't understand why the Flames didn't sign him a long time ago and then loan him to some team in the Finnish hockey league and get him to play the right side... or convert him into a winger if they've almost given up on his defensive capabilities. Sitting on his butt isn't helping his development at all.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Would we do Kylington for Jack Roslovic? Jets still haven't signed him. I think Jack's still got some untapped potential.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Would we do Kylington for Jack Roslovic? Jets still haven't signed him. I think Jack's still got some untapped potential.
Honestly, I'd consider that. I've always like Roslovic, and even when Kylington was expected to be first round, I was still liking Roslovic over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad