Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It's not an issue, especially considering Kapanen will have had 4 years of pro experience.

Two seasons ago, we were icing 4-5 rookie dmen each game. This is nothing compared to that.
We won't be rebuilding in 2025-26. I've been a huge Kapanen fan for a couple of years and have stated many times that he's our most underrated prospect and will have a long NHL career. You can't pencil him and Beck in as centers on the NHL team in 18 months though. They still have to prove they can do it and will need insulation. Also Evans took huge steps late this season as a bottom 6 center.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
NHL ELC have a capped minor-league (AHL) salary. It was $70k a few years ago. I think it's now $95k, but I can't find the reference right now.

The players on AHL contracts and post-ELC two-way contracts can have the AHL salary negotiated.
Yes thats what i mean.. like the "Vets" are true player-mentors, they know their actual job is to teach these kids everything they need to know.

The C,A,A,A should all be $250K/yr vets, who fit our character, know our lines pro/farm and know how to teach professionalism= stay away from the clubs....

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
We won't be rebuilding in 2025-26. I've been a huge Kapanen fan for a couple of years and have stated many times that he's our most underrated prospect and will have a long NHL career. You can't pencil him and Beck in as centers on the NHL team in 18 months though. They still have to prove they can do it and will need insulation. Also Evans took huge steps late this season as a bottom 6 center.
Needs to take next step this coming season in Laval.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Is this guy the real deal or is he just another over hyped Habs prospect?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Real deal? Overhyped? Kapanen's been our least hyped prospect who has up to now rarely been mentioned and has always taken a backseat to Roy, Beck, Heineman and others when folks have wrote up our future top 9 forwards. Even now that he's been opening eyes, we're still talking about him as a potential 3rd line center.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Real deal? Overhyped? Kapanen's been our least hyped prospect who has up to now rarely been mentioned and has always taken a backseat to Roy, Beck, Heineman and others when folks have wrote up our future top 9 forwards. Even now that he's been opening eyes, we're still talking about him as a potential 3rd line center.
Get a better view when he hits NA ice

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yes thats what i mean.. like the "Vets" are true player-mentors, they know their actual job is to teach these kids everything they need to know.

The C,A,A,A should all be $250K/yr vets, who fit our character, know our lines pro/farm and know how to teach professionalism= stay away from the clubs....
Habs do pay their AHL vets well I think, but the AHL salary doesn't always make it to the public.

For example, Gignac's two-way contract he signed last year was according to Lavoie:
2023-24: $775,000 NHL salary, $150,000 AHL salary
2024-25: $775,000 NHL salary, $350,000 AHL salary, $400,000 guaranteed money

Reactions: themilosh

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Slaf has game breaker upside without a doubt. Hutson does as well.

I’d say Caufield is on the fence in terms of upside but for argument sake, let say he doesn’t but he’s not that far off. Same with Suzuki really. He can definitely keep getting better. Maybe he gets as close as you can get without being one. Dach has comparable upside as the last 2 mentioned but is less proven and more of a question mark.

We have a very good chance of getting a forward with similar upside as the last 3 mentioned.

I don’t see the problem. Slaf and Hutson are very realistic options at gamebreaker status with 4 others hovering around that mark. I’m really only worried about them staying healthy

I don't generally respond anymore to ridiculously subjective rhetoric like we need a game-breaker or we need a superstar as they are hyper subjective and have no place in a rational conversation. I know you got suckered into it but it is pointless to discuss this with most people. I agree with you that we have high end talent that is very projectable as a championship core and you are correct in pointing out that health is the key as it is with all Cup contenders.

As far as I am concerned we will have most if not all of the players/assets that we will need after this draft to seriously contend in the near future and I refuse to get pulled into cynicism based on certain fans semantics with regards to terms like "game-breaker".....it is uninteresting and only provides a question that is too wildly subjective to answer.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Somehow in his twisted logic he decided that because we are suddenly all realizing that Kapanen has been seriously underrated by many on this board this means that he is now over hyped lol....this place hurts my brain.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Habs do pay their AHL vets well I think, but the AHL salary doesn't always make it to the public.

For example, Gignac's two-way contract he signed last year was according to Lavoie:
2023-24: $775,000 NHL salary, $150,000 AHL salary
2024-25: $775,000 NHL salary, $350,000 AHL salary, $400,000 guaranteed money
ahh much better... but if it is a vet whereby all the want to do is teach (prepare) the young guns for the big show... I actually don't want to see the "vets" get promoted, they are not there for that - conflict of interest.

this is why I would like to see an "employee" salary for the C,A,A,A.. like they are the on ice Directors of the organization.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not overhyped one bit. He was rarely talked about in our herd over the last 2 years. He has performed well in a very competitive tight checking league. What do most of us think? Maybe he can be a solid 3C like Beck.

There are some good things being said about him from executives and coaches in Finland. How his game transitions to the NA game is undetermined.

Until Kappy plays regularly on an NA ice he hasn't proven anything and hasn't surpassed anyone on tne depth chart.

How does he compare to others who have also not played any AHL or NHL games? That's basically the conversation. Why can't he pass anybody on the depth chart who also has not played any AHL or NHL games or even better... Against CHL players who have several 16-18 year olds in that league.

I think Oliver Kapanen is ahead of Beck at this point for the 3rd line center spot.

I would say it's close. Too difficult to guess on today.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Somehow in his twisted logic he decided that because we are suddenly all realizing that Kapanen has been seriously underrated by many on this board this means that he is now over hyped lol....this place hurts my brain.

Habs overrating prospects is getting old. Our pool is one of the deepest in the NHL and maybe if we rewind back 6 years, we would have pumped up Kapanen a bit too much (due to shallow pool).

Habs are not the only team that does this. The trend I noticed is fans with deep pools are more realistic while teams with shallow pools overhype.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
This is such absurd reasoning and it pops up every now and then on these boards like herpes.

By that reasoning Michkov should be below every Flyers prospect that is playing in NA.....
Exactly!

Nail Yakupov was a star and #1 OA pick and a shoe in and a 1st line beast etc etc etc and he ended up proving absolutely nothing!

Your reasoning that Kappy will be an NHL shoe in and will fit perfectly on our 3rd line is what's absurd!

Reactions: Kojo

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
So he's over hyped then? Have you even seen him play at all? I was asking because I never seen him play and this board tend to over hype those kind of prospects from oversea. Even Lehkonen was a little bit over hyped at some point but he turned out great.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Using a scientific method of quantitative analysis in the last page looking for the term "overhyped prospect", it is undeniable that Oliver Kapanen is, indeed, overhyped.

You are welcome, HF.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Until Kappy plays regularly on an NA ice he hasn't proven anything and hasn't surpassed anyone on tne depth chart.

Wow, what an ignorant take.

Exactly!

Nail Yakupov was a star and #1 OA pick and a shoe in and a 1st line beast etc etc etc and he ended up proving absolutely nothing!

Your reasoning that Kappy will be an NHL shoe in and will fit perfectly on our 3rd line is what's absurd!

Nail Yakupov played 2 years in North America prior to being drafted. You can't even string two posts together with any semblance of logical coherence.

Reactions: Shutdown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad