Salary Cap: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
There were some never satisfied fans who would give you Pause. But I'd argue the bulk of fans were happy with the overall team. I was firmly convinced that the Canucks were absolutely, 100%, win a Stanley Cup during Luongo's tenure.

Not everyone fits this characterization, although I wasn't active on here during the 'salad days.'

I see what you did there and I tip my hat to you!

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
The thing that is brutal for me is the excuses when good things do happen.

Game 7 vs Vegas

"We only got there because of Markstrom"

Demko played game 5 and 6

"Waa waa wee wah"

Then this year.

Our whole team got covid.

"every team dealt with covid"

No we literally had to cancel our schedule for 3 weeks cuz the whole team got covid

"waa waa wee wah"

All whilst ignoring the folks who realize that Covid played a role in both seasons, for good or for ill.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
this continues to establish the high market value of taking on cap dumps. florida paid a 2nd and a signed ahl prospect to get az to take on stralman's $5.5m cap hit, and stralman is still a roster player.

the $12 million in cap dumps we gave in the oel trade loom large.

also, it is clearly armstrong playing around with 7th rounders. one in this trade. one in the ladd trade and one in the oel trade.

the 12 mil in cap dump doesn’t loom as large at the 40+ million one the Yotes moved in the same trade….

Reactions: Mr4legs

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the 12 mil in cap dump doesn’t loom as large at the 40+ million one the Yotes moved in the same trade….

well it kind of offsets it down to circa $30m. but yeah, hockey players cost money

on the bright side, if it goes as bad as people here are calling their shot, this will decide benning's fate, settle quickly and decisively whether the sedins are savvy hockey executives, and very likely get aquaman ousted as the head owner in charge.

so win win from my perspective.

Reactions: Jimnastic

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Canucks fans aren't brutal its that the rest of the leagues media and fans are butter soft. I've said this a bunch of times already but all you have to do is look at Barca Twitter or the Barca media and get a hold of what brutal fans/media looks like.

f*** just take one look at the Italian soccer media. They will often just make shit up about players and report it.

The idea that Vancouver is toxic is just relative to a piss soft hockey media.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
on the bright side, if it goes as bad as people here are calling their shot, this will decide benning's fate, settle quickly and decisively whether the sedins are savvy hockey executives, and very likely get aquaman ousted as the head owner in charge.

...why are the Sedins being handcuffed to this deal?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Dont even bother. Educating people on the Cap and its intricacies is a god damn useless endeavour i swear.

lol, are you telling a poster not to interact with me because i don't understand the cap? seems kind of rude, condescending and patronizing as well as passive aggressive, but ok, i'll bite. what part of the cap would that be? come at me bro with your superior cap knowledge. educate me.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
On another note im strangely optimistic about OEL. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he bounced back. But I'm in the minority I guess.

As someone who's had some mental issues i can sympathize with him and say how tough it is to get out of a funk and how nice it is to get a fresh start. I'm a big advanced stats guy but even I can admit that it might not be the strongest indicator of future success. Especially when there can be external factors.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
On another note im strangely optimistic about OEL. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he bounced back. But I'm in the minority I guess.

As someone who's had some mental issues i can sympathize with him and say how tough it is to get out of a funk and how nice it is to get a fresh start. I'm a big advanced stats guy but even I can admit that it might not be the strongest indicator of future success. Especially when there can be external factors.

hope you are right. it certainly has the potential to be the best trade benning has made and to transform the team.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County

Don’t bring that optimism in here.
upload_2021-7-26_21-14-18.gif

Reactions: WTG

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The thing that is brutal for me is the excuses when good things do happen.

Game 7 vs Vegas

"We only got there because of Markstrom"

Demko played game 5 and 6

"Waa waa wee wah"

Then this year.

Our whole team got covid.

"every team dealt with covid"

No we literally had to cancel our schedule for 3 weeks cuz the whole team got covid

"waa waa wee wah"

And missing our best player.

Like in the bubble I vividly remember Jeff Paterson saying "the young top guys didn't let this team down", but then when its convenient to bash the team - and where were at - for this past season, they don't always make the (major) qualifier that we didn't have our best player most the year.

As you say, this part of it is annoying aswell.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Canucks fans aren't brutal its that the rest of the leagues media and fans are butter soft. I've said this a bunch of times already but all you have to do is look at Barca Twitter or the Barca media and get a hold of what brutal fans/media looks like.

f*** just take one look at the Italian soccer media. They will often just make shit up about players and report it.

The idea that Vancouver is toxic is just relative to a piss soft hockey media.

The one thing I don't like is how ideological the discourse around the team has become. Its like this strange groupthink where the opinion of your tribe takes primacy over everything.

The worst thing thats happened was that lunatic taking unsolicited photos of Jim Benning grocery shopping. It was appalling, extremely inappropriate & frankly embarrassing as a fellow fan. I'm not blaming any media member for it, but a part of me wonders if the vehement anti-Benning groupthink made this person think it was okay - as if this was just another criticism.

Mostly its just annoying to constantly listen too. When I processed the trade my biggest reaction was excitement as we made our team alot better and, for the first time in forever, felt we might legitimately have a good team going into the season (assuming we add 1 more D). Yet 90% of the discourse from most the shows I follow was focused/deep diving on the negatives.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
This is just laughable. You're talking about the media that includes shill homers like Imac?

Here's the thing about the canucks: they're one of the worst professional sports franchises ever. In any sport. They have the second worst all-time winning percentage in the NHL. They have zero stanley cups and they're nowhere close. The organization has collapsed into an embarrassing mess after reaching legit contender status for the first time ever. There's no way to cover the Canucks honestly without appearing "negative" to people who aren't paying attention or don't realize how bad this team is and has been for 50 years.

Just came across these on Twitter:

E7Rn2N_VIAITvqE

E7Rj05cVoAMvjlG

Don't we all agree the team was good under Gillis? Funny how he saw it too.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
lol, are you telling a poster not to interact with me because i don't understand the cap? seems kind of rude, condescending and patronizing as well as passive aggressive, but ok, i'll bite. what part of the cap would that be? come at me bro with your superior cap knowledge. educate me.
The part where we have a cap hit or 7.2M for 5 seasons after the next. The important thing is not the total cap spent, it’s the duration and the opportunity cost. If that 7.2M is paid to a underperforming contract, that’s potentially 6 years worth of opportunity cost. We traded 1 year of severe cap waste and turned it into potentially 6 years of moderate cap waste.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The part where we have a cap hit or 7.2M for 5 seasons after the next. The important thing is not the total cap spent, it’s the duration and the opportunity cost. If that 7.2M is paid to a underperforming contract, that’s potentially 6 years worth of opportunity cost. We traded 1 year of severe cap waste and turned it into potentially 6 years of moderate cap waste.

Or turned 1 year of severe cap waste into a top 6 forward and a top 4 defense just as the window for this core is opening. Whose to say.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The one thing I don't like is how ideological the discourse around the team has become. Its like this strange groupthink where the opinion of your tribe takes primacy over everything.

The worst thing thats happened was that lunatic taking unsolicited photos of Jim Benning grocery shopping. It was appalling, extremely inappropriate & frankly embarrassing as a fellow fan. I'm not blaming any media member for it, but a part of me wonders if the vehement anti-Benning groupthink made this person think it was okay - as if this was just another criticism.

Mostly its just annoying to constantly listen too. When I processed the trade my biggest reaction was excitement as we made our team alot better and, for the first time in forever, felt we might legitimately have a good team going into the season (assuming we add 1 more D). Yet 90% of the discourse from most the shows I follow was focused/deep diving on the negatives.
I don’t have issue with people taking pics of Benning when it was assumed that he was breaking COVID protocol. Why should we? We all spent almost a f***ing year locked in the homes and then you see a public figure grocery shopping when the public assumption was that he should be under quarantine after returning from international travel. It was not public knowledge that he was deemed an essential worker because nobody would assume the work he does is anything remotely essential. so think of it this way, you spent x amount of time locked up and you see someone breaking the rules, you should be pissed and you should raise awareness because of how profoundly unfair that is.
taking pic of Benning is not invading his privacy because what he was doing was essentially a danger to the public health.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I don’t have issue with people taking pics of Benning when it was assumed that he was breaking COVID protocol. Why should we? We all spent almost a f***ing year locked in the homes and then you see a public figure grocery shopping when the public assumption was that he should be under quarantine after returning from international travel. It was not public knowledge that he was deemed an essential worker because nobody would assume the work he does is anything remotely essential. so think of it this way, you spent x amount of time locked up and you see someone breaking the rules, you should be pissed and you should raise awareness because of how profoundly unfair that is.
taking pic of Benning is not invading his privacy because what he was doing was essentially a danger to the public health.

Sure but if he had any decency/guts he could've confronted him about it.

I don't want to go too far down this road, but obviously he didn't know one way or another - and instead assumed. I don't think special exemptions were unheard-of/unfathomable at that point.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Or turned 1 year of severe cap waste into a top 6 forward and a top 4 defense just as the window for this core is opening. Whose to say.
The Garland part of the trade is hard to take because of the 9OA, would rather we do 2 2nds to get that but whatever. Garland will offer value depending on his contract.
The OWL part, it he performs like an actual top 4 guy then yeah. If he doesn’t then this will probably close the window for the next couple of years. You can’t compete having 13.2M (myers + OEL) worth of defenders who cannot defend. I think a bunch of folks are definitely ignoring the past 4 freaking years of bad play and are praying that he can somehow reverse that. We’ll see but the odds are terrible.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Sure but if he had any decency/guts he could've confronted him about it.

I don't want to go too far down this road, but obviously he didn't know one way or another - and instead assumed. I don't think special exemptions were unheard-of/unfathomable at that point.

What does decency have to do with anything? It’s good that happened, at least raising awareness like that let us know how bloody corrupt the gov is regarding granting essential status.

And who the hell would assume that a GM of a hockey team would get essential worker status. That’s like arguing we should all assume that the provincial Gov is so corrupt that they will give public figure essential worker status easily.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
What does decency have to do with anything? It’s good that happened, at least raising awareness like that let us know how bloody corrupt the gov is regarding granting essential status.

And who the hell would assume that a GM of a hockey team would get essential worker status. That’s like arguing we should all assume that the provincial Gov is so corrupt that they will give public figure essential worker status easily.

I didn't say to assume anything, I said the opposite.

In that instance its an attack on Jim's character to try & vilify him as breaking rules when he wasn't.

This is way off topic now & further than I wanted to go. I understand your sentiment but I didn't like the incident at all. What you think of protocols is your own thing.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I didn't say to assume anything, I said the opposite.

In that instance its an attack on Jim's character to try & vilify him as breaking rules when he wasn't.

This is way off topic now & further than I wanted to go. I understand your sentiment but I didn't like the incident at all. What you think of protocols is your own thing.
Like I said, how would anyone know that? There is no way anyone would see a hockey GM and make the logical conclusion that “ oh he must have essential status therefore the rules don’t apply to him”.

it’s good citizenry to bring attention to public figure breaking rules, especially regarding COVID.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland

I also find it funny how so many people on here always have to qualify any positive comment about Benning with "I'm not a Benning fan by any means, but I think he did a good job regarding blank," regardless of how true the statement is

It's like everyone is low key aware that they have to be careful with what they say or else they'll be labelled a "Benning Bro" for all eternity lol

and fyi, I'm not a Benning fan by any means smh

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
30 years old, declining for 3 straight seasons, who fits that profile and has come back from it? Oh and locked in for 6 more years

The pessimistic view is we just trashed the rest of Horvat's window.

The optimistic view is that it's actually a pretty buyout friendly deal all things considered!
I think alot of it depends on how the coach wants OEL to play hockey. In his decline in Arizona, his coach wanted him to play a more passive, defensive minded game, which is not the kind of game suited for OEL. It's his puck movement skills, mobility and shot that are his strengths.

If his role in Vancouver is to distribute pucks, I think this deal can work. If he's put in a role as a shot blocking crease clearer, the wrong player was chosen.

He thrives in a mobile, puck moving team that can work well as a unit. If he can rotate into the attack in the offensive zone, if he's allowed to pinch and keep possessive rotation, he's elite. You shouldn't play him as a traditional defenseman, he's part of the attack and the defense as a unit. Everytime he has played for Sweden in international competition he has been absolutely great.

edit: Sidenote, he's a solid choice for a penalty shooter. He's money when it matters. I think this is a good chance to take to become better for Vancouver, I like the aquisition of OEL, especially for getting rid of all that waste in the roster and getting a good winger as well. He has alot of hockey left in him, any slumps are all mental.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyNightInAsia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad