Injury Report: Oliver Ekman-Larsson(Upper Body)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Three games for MacKenzie. OEL questionable for tomorrow night. Both pleasant surprises.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
If they want to get these hits out of the game, not only should the player be suspended, but they also need to start fining/docking pay of the two referees. Under the current system, referees with poor performance reviews receive fewer future games, but that's not enough. It's embarrassing for the league to have to swoop in and be the disciplinarian.

Clearly, the refs blew it - when there's no penalty called and the player gets suspended for it. The refs should lose as many games as the player - without pay.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
If they want to get these hits out of the game, not only should the player be suspended, but they also need to start fining/docking pay of the two referees. Under the current system, referees with poor performance reviews receive fewer future games, but that's not enough. It's embarrassing for the league to have to swoop in and be the disciplinarian.

While I tend to agree with this, I would also think they wouldn't make that kind of thing public - for all we...well, *I*... know they do do that.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Response was pathetic and embarrassing. Yandle is a warrior. Kudos to Murphy, too.

Guys like Chipchura and Brown should feel shame. Shame.

#claimkenopka

Agreed on Yandle.

Didnt you once say Brown is the worst fighter ever and should never fight again? Think it's a bit harsh on him when it was his first game back under Tippett after an abrupt end to his time in the NHL first time around..

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Three games for MacKenzie. OEL questionable for tomorrow night. Both pleasant surprises.

I thought when they called an in person meeting with Shanahan, there would be a good chance of him getting 5 games or more. But at least it's not nothing.

Shanny is doing a pretty job; even though he could be a little soft at times on the offenders. Plus, he's also a bit miffed at the D-corps selection by Team USA:
Brendan Shanahan said:
Team USA has an interesting group on Defense. I'm scratching my head at this one
https://twitter.com/NHLSafetyShan/statuses/418776725816745985

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I thought when they called an in person meeting with Shanahan, there would be a good chance of him getting 5 games or more. But at least it's not nothing.

Shanny is doing a pretty job; even though he could be a little soft at times on the offenders. Plus, he's also a bit miffed at the D-corps selection by Team USA:

https://twitter.com/NHLSafetyShan/statuses/418776725816745985

That twitter account is fake. But the sentiment is right on.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Listening to the Blue Jackets Broadcast team makes almost believe that Mike Lang and Jack Edwards are better, almost.

Longwayfromhome

Sweden/London, UK.
Oct 18, 2013
As per swedish television (I am watching the WJC) it is confirmed that he has a concussion. They called it "bad news for the upcoming olympics".

EDIT: They mentioned OELs parents as their source.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This has been discussed ad nauseam but concussions are such a strange thing. One player gets one and feels fine in a couple days. The next guy misses 6 weeks. There is really no telling...

Let's hope OEL recovers quickly and has no post concussion issues.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
This has been discussed ad nauseam but concussions are such a strange thing. One player gets one and feels fine in a couple days. The next guy misses 6 weeks. There is really no telling...

Let's hope OEL recovers quickly and has no post concussion issues.

Looking at the replays, it doesn't seem that it could a very serious concussion that would require months of rehabilitation. It's nothing of the sort like the Stevens on Lindros hit. Hopefully it's something that would not have much effect on the near or distant future, but it might be safe to hold him out for a few games; it needs to be very carefully handled.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's about time for some good news.

It's also good that they are taking it slow; and put caution before results. It can be overstated how dangerous an incomplete recovery from concussions is for OEL's long term career.

How do you know he had a concussion?

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
How do you know he had a concussion?

Not 100% sure, but seems to be one.

hockeybuzz said:
Suffice to say, it is likely a concussion. But, who knows? The guy is lucky he is still alive, and everyone in hockey will still pretend that there are only two types of injuries a player can suffer, just as the NHL will continue with its politically correct policy of token suspensions and instigator rules.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/James-Tanner/Ekman-Larsson-Injured-On-Dirty-Hit/200/56891

yahoo sports said:
NOTES: Coyotes captain C Shane Doan played 18:38 in his return to the ice after missing 12 games with Rocky Mountain fever. "He certainly wasn't 100 percent, but we might as well get him going and get him playing," coach Dave Tippett said. Doan last played at Calgary on Dec. 4. Despite the absence, Doan was tied for the team lead with 12 goals entering the game. ... Coyotes D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (concussion protocol) and D Zbynek Michalek (lower body) missed the game. Ekman-Larsson was slammed into the boards in the first period Thursday by Columbus F Derek MacKenzie, who was not penalized for the hit but was given a three-game suspension after a league review Friday. ... Philadelphia C Sean Couture is the only Phoenix-born player in the NHL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/flyers-continue-road-magic-5-051329518--nhl.html

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
@azbobbymac: Tippett also said D Oliver Ekman-Larsson will be in the lineup tomorrow vs. Minnesota. "He looks healthy and rested," the coach said.

That is awsome.

On one hand I hope that we don't rush him in any way, shape, or form. Concussion is just too big of a risk to be playing around with. We don't want to do anything that would affect his long term durability; missing a few games right now, might save us dozens of games out of the line-up in the future.

On the other hand, this game is super important. We can't really afford to lose this one, as Minn is one of our direct competitions for the wild card. Whoever wins the season series has the tie-breaker. And if we lose this, we will be from the outside looking in, not a good position to be in at this point in the season. I'm very glad we are close to full strength with Doan and OEL back for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad