Post-Game Talk: Olive Gardens defeats the Outback Steakhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Wegmans is a bummer considering it replaced a legit farm in Tices. Get off my lawn, God damn hipster dufus.

giphy.gif

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Or a forward needed to bring him a stick from the bench. A player may carry 2 sticks if he is taking a stick to the goalie.

It looked to me like the defenseman was pausing behind the net to allow a forward to do that but none of them went to the bench.
I thought that a goalie is the only guy who can play with a broken stick, also a fwd should have handed him his own stick and then gone to the bench

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This is the first year the Devils didn’t have a massive turnover in the Shero era and it’s totally showing on the ice.

So many nifty passes and team plays, both offensively and defensively, going on in all three zones. The entire team seems to have chemistry with each other regardless who is on the ice.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I thought that a goalie is the only guy who can play with a broken stick, also a fwd should have handed him his own stick and then gone to the bench

Yes the goalie can play with a broken stick.

There are all sort of special rules for the goalie stick, such as players can carry his own stick and the goalie stick as long as he skates the stick back to the goalie and does not play the puck. The player may not slide, shoot, pass, or toss the stick to the goalie but must carry it the whole way.

The rule is ambiguous about getting a new stick from the bench for a goalie because it uses the work “him” at one point and it’s unclear if they are referring to the goalie or the skater.

If a skater can not get a new stick for the goalie from the bench then he could not carry a stick to the goalie if he had 1 or 2 sticks in hand.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Bronco Horvath, what a f’n name

Apparently, he's still alive.

Bronco Horvath - Wikipedia

a fwd should have handed him his own stick and then gone to the bench

This should be, and usually is, an automatic.

I've never seen a goalie making so much of a repeated commotion for a stick as last night, a commotion that went entirely unheeded by his Dallas teammates.

Khudobin did everything short of lighting signal flares & pulling out a a strobe light to alert his teammates he needed a stick.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

This is the Devils radio statistician, a good follow if you’re on twitter, and he confirmed a second goalie stick can not enter play. A goalie stick can only be replaced during a stoppage.

So all the weird goalie stick rules apply and add to those rules that his stick can’t be replaced during play. He can only use his broken stick or a skaters stick.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It sounds dumb at first, but clearly the reason is obvious - a skater is not permitted the use of a goalie stick, even if it's only for the 4 seconds necessary to skate over to the goalie.

This begs a question I've thought of since my youth, and have never had answered. How & why did "goalie sticks" ever become a thing? Why should a goalie get a special, gigantic stick, rather than a normal, straight blade stick. Goalies originally did just that, but around WWI they made it so goalies could have the fatter sticks we see today. So the change was early in the history of the game, but for about the first 40 years, everyone's stick was the same.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It sounds dumb at first, but clearly the reason is obvious - a skater is not permitted the use of a goalie stick, even if it's only for the 4 seconds necessary to skate over to the goalie.

Except a player can hold both his stick and a goalie stick for an unlimited amount of time as long as he is taking it over to the goalie.

If a goalie lost his stick and it ended up in the neutral zone, a player could hold his stick and the goalie stick and skate the goalie stick over to the goalie.

So the skater having 2 sticks or the goalie stick only isn’t the issue, it’s the second goalie stick entering play that is disallowed.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Recorded the game and just getting a chance to watch it now. Hall putting the puck into the Devils bench resulting in the penalty has me in stitches

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

This is the Devils radio statistician, a good follow if you’re on twitter, and he confirmed a second goalie stick can not enter play. A goalie stick can only be replaced during a stoppage.

So all the weird goalie stick rules apply and add to those rules that his stick can’t be replaced during play. He can only use his broken stick or a skaters stick.

I was surprised one of Dallas' guys on the ice didn't give him a stick. Usually what you tend to see happen immediately. When you saw him waving his arms and then the goal shortly thereafter, couldn't help but think the nice shot aside, he was also somewhat flustered or distracted in facing that shot.

Reactions: My3Sons

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I was surprised one of Dallas' guys on the ice didn't give him a stick. Usually what you tend to see happen immediately. When you saw him waving his arms and then the goal shortly thereafter, couldn't help but think the nice shot aside, he was also somewhat flustered or distracted in facing that shot.

It was a nice shot but had he not be signaling a cab in times square he would have stopped the puck. Any goalie regardless of level knows that when your stick breaks no one can skate you over one (which I think he thought would happen).

I've had sticks break or knocked away when I went for a poke check...its not a fun feeling, nor easy to stay in position... the stick is also used to prop you up a bit, without a stick you're basically doing a squat for the rest of the play until you can regain a stick.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Never been to Tices, but I would weep if they turned delicious orchards in to a supermarket.

There were three farms right on the same road... my former classmate just blogged about this and I've got the same pictures of me at the pumpkin patch. Best fresh (plain) donuts and apple cider ever. The Wegmans took out Van Ripers, a few blocks down from Tices - so I had that wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad