Olesz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
How come not many people here talk much about Olesz when he's second in tournament scoring with a better +/- than Ovechkin even though he's tied with Ovechkin in scoring.

All you here about on this board is Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Bergeron, but Olesz is #2 in scoring overall and has been the best Czech player?

People seem to criticize him a lot for little things, like McGuire for not driving to the net, where people were criticizing him on here for too, and then getting laid out by Furrer, which was talked about a lot. I mean I know that people predict him to score in the gameday thread, but at this point in time, he would probably be on the tournament all star team. IF somehow the Czechs managed to beat Canada if they get past Finland, beating Canada being a huge if, Schwarz or Olesz would undoubtedly be the MVP of the tournament. He seems a bit underrated here, after he's dominated the Czech league in the last 10 games and was the late 40's on the top 50 list. I know I overrate him sometimes, but you never here anything on these boards about him really, why is that?

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I was really high on Olesz before the tournament starts. He's putting up some points but I am not overly impressed. He's a nice package for sure but I doubt if his offensive skills are that good.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Olesz has been one of the most interesting players in this tourney. He's racking up points nicely, but I especially like his commitment to defense. He seems to have the qualities for a future first/second line two-way forward. Jere lehtinen comes to mind, but Olesz has more skill and playmaking capabilities than Jere.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
markov` said:
I was really high on Olesz before the tournament starts. He's putting up some points but I am not overly impressed. He's a nice package for sure but I doubt if his offensive skills are that good.

You're right...When the Panthers draft him, I thought he was an offensive bomb but his offensive skills aren't THAT good.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I was VERY high on him since before the draft, and still he's surprising me for his effort in this WJC.
He's top line material (not just second IMO), can't wait to see him, Horton and Stewart together.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
nomorekids said:
Because he's a Panther prospect, and we all hate the Panthers :)

Jealousy. :shakehead

People underate this kids skill. He was called the second coming of Jagr. Yeah i know he won't turn out like Jagr but the skill is there to become a top line winger, thats where he'll play on the Panthers. Olesz was a steal for us as most people thought this kid would go #3 or #4.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
J17ster said:
Jealousy. :shakehead

People underate this kids skill. He was called the second coming of Jagr. Yeah i know he won't turn out like Jagr but the skill is there to become a top line winger, thats where he'll play on the Panthers. Olesz was a steal for us as most people thought this kid would go #3 or #4.

The 2nd comming of Jagr? Are we talking attitude wise or skill wise???

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
FLYLine4LIFE said:
The 2nd comming of Jagr? Are we talking attitude wise or skill wise???

He was compared to Jagr i think when he was concensus #2 a year before his draft. Olesz isn't as good as Jagr offensively but he is a better defensivly, supposed better work rate. The two weren't compared because they were similiar players but because they expected Olesz to be the next great czech player.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
He is putting up big numbers but when he is on he is hard to stop but the problem wiht him he takes shifts off he isn't consistent.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
FedorScores said:
Seeing the CZE vs RUS game in person, he impressed me, and I have no idea why he dropped pasta guy like Ladd.

The Ladd selection was a joke, I think this isn't a secret to anybody. There's at least 20 players picked after Ladd that I'd select over him.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
FedorScores said:
Seeing the CZE vs RUS game in person, he impressed me, and I have no idea why he dropped pasta guy like Ladd.

Why do you say that? Ladd is what? 1-2 points behind him in the tourney and actually has a physical and defensive game. Although I think Olesz is a great talent, he will always be remembered as "the guy that got lit up by Phaneuf" in last years WJC.

All kidding aside, Olesz will be a solid 2nd line NHLer IMO.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
ryz said:
Why do you say that? Ladd is what? 1-2 points behind him in the tourney and actually has a physical and defensive game. Although I think Olesz is a great talent, he will always be remembered as "the guy that got lit up by Phaneuf" in last years WJC.

All kidding aside, Olesz will be a solid 2nd line NHLer IMO.

Canada has scored 3 times as many goals.

Olesz is no slouch defensivly or physically.

Ladd is the type of player you love or dislike...no inbetween. Personally i think he is overrated based on ONE good season.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I was high on him before the tourney but that has changed. He played good defense but didn't do a great job useing his size in the offensive zone going to the net. A good number of his points have been late in the game or useless.....he is really good in those situations. Olesz allways has his head down also.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
You're right...When the Panthers draft him, I thought he was an offensive bomb but his offensive skills aren't THAT good.

Before the draft, it was his offensive skills relative to his overall game that came into question.

2 of his points came late in games. The empty netter was important although it came a little late.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
This is why I had him at #4 before the 2004 draft. Just because the numbers were not great, doesn't mean this guy doesn't have top end skill. He's showing it at this tournament and with great play in the Czech Elite league from what I hear.
I had him #3.

markov` said:
Olesz reminds me of a smaller Bobby Holik.
I have him as a better defensive player than Holik and alot better offensive player. IMO, he has 80 point potential. I think he'll be a first-liner.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I have been so impressed with Olesz. He has been playing great, and he saved a few goals backchecking as well. Seems like a very complete player.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Before Gretzky went to the podium on draft day, I was screaming "Olesz" at my television. :( When all of the announcers were saying that Phoenix was going to make a suprise pick, I started hoping for Meszaros. :cry:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
This is what I like to hear. :yo:

Seems like he has gotten close to living up to his pre injury hype that he should've gone #2. He would've gone #3 overall I think if the draft was redone right now with Barker dropping 1 and Ladd and Wheeler dropping more with Tukonen rising a bit and Schwarz as well.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
imo, if the draft was redone.

the top 5 would be

1. ovechkin
2. malkin
3. barker (although not a great tourney, his upside is huge.)
4. tukonen / olesz
5. tukonen / olesz
then meszaros just behind.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
imo, if the draft was redone.

the top 5 would be

1. ovechkin
2. malkin
3. barker (although not a great tourney, his upside is huge.)
4. tukonen / olesz
5. tukonen / olesz
then meszaros just behind.
Yeah, maybe. I think it'd be a toss up with Olesz or Barker for #3.

Tukonen IMO would got around 5. Guys dropping are WHeeler, into the top 15 still though, Montoya, and Ladd, but not too far. Still way too early to tell. I can't see Tukonen going ahead of Olesz though if it was redone knowing how the two have performed this year. Meszaros would definatley be top 10. I had him #11 or 12 before the draft. Schwarz would be way higher.

The top 2 are locked, but I still believe that Olesz could one day be as good or better than Malkin as good as he is. I don't see Malkin ever being better than AO barring injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad