Olesz or Meszaros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I know both aren't playing the same position, but I wonder which one will contribute the most to the success of their respective team during their prime years. This season, Meszaros has the edge, but Olesz isn't used on the PP (an average of 45 sec a game on the PP, 3:27 on SH and 11min even strenght).

I know it is early, but I am sure people here have something to say about it.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I'm a big fan of Olesz and think he's often underrated, but Meszaros is the easy choice here. Meszaros can be a top 10 defenseman in the league, the same can't be said about Olesz in the forward or even the center ranks.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Meszaros for sure, and I like Olesz. I think Meszaros will end up being one of the top 3 players picked in the 2004 draft (I imagine you can guess the other two).

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I could be wrong but I personally don't see Olesz as a top line star player, but at the same time that does't mean he's nothing because he's a great prospect and someday he'll be one of those impact 2nd/3rd line players.

Meszaros on the other hand has amazing potential and already has the edge so I'll take him easily.

Husky

Feb 3, 2006
Ottawa
Meszaros, in the sens system you must pay your dues (Jason Spezza is a prime example if you are skeptical) and the sens use the rook on the PK PP EN and OT situations, few other players have done so in the sens system that i remember. It is a joke to pick Olesz even though he is a bit unheralded.

Transported Upstater

I just hope people don't assume the pro-Meszaros crowd (including myself) is anti-Olesz...far from the case.

I just really wish Meszaros was on the other team in Ontario...

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
As a panther fan i might side with Meszaros, but it will be very tight IMO. The posters who have said Meszaros easily are going over the top. Olesz is one of the most underated prospects around, i know his stats aren't great yet, but he is a very smart player i can really see him being a top liner player in his prime around 70 points.
However, i'd chose Meszaros just. Been very impressive this year. Either way though, alot of teams are gonna regret passing up these two players in the 04 draft.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Meszaros is probably projected be a top 5 Dman in the NHL in his prime. He is heralded as the best defencemen to come out of our system and we have produced some pretty good ones. Is Olesz projected as a top 10 forward? Otherwise I think that it is a pretty desicive victory.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
champben2002 said:
Meszaros is probably projected be a top 5 Dman in the NHL in his prime. He is heralded as the best defencemen to come out of our system and we have produced some pretty good ones. Is Olesz projected as a top 10 forward? Otherwise I think that it is a pretty desicive victory.

Top 5 is streching it. With guys like Pitkanen, Phanuef, Bouwmeester, two Johnson's, Sutter, Weber etc I don't see Meszaros being a top 5 Dman.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
J17ster said:
Top 5 is streching it. With guys like Pitkanen, Phanuef, Bouwmeester, two Johnson's, Sutter, Weber etc I don't see Meszaros being a top 5 Dman.

I completely disagree, as he has played better than just about all of them save Pitkanen. Phaneuf's play has been about equal (perhaps slightly better due to his physical play) to Meszaros in terms of the impact they've had on their defense.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Olesz right now isn't getting a lot of ice time in Florida. I think that Olesz will become a perennial selke nominee in his career. Ya know a guy that can put up 60-70 points a season and is sound defesivley. Right now the edge goes to Meszaros but hey this is only 1 season.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Sting004 said:
I completely disagree, as he has played better than just about all of them save Pitkanen. Phaneuf's play has been about equal (perhaps slightly better due to his physical play) to Meszaros in terms of the impact they've had on their defense.

In the long term, Phanuef will be better. Pitkanen will be as well IMO. Bouwmeester (trust me on this one) is better than Meszaros and will be in the future. You then have the two Johnsons who will be studs, guys like Sutter etc and it's going to be very tough to be a top 5 Dman. Then you consider the established guys who will still be around when Meszaros hits his prime. Meszaros will be a top 20 Dman in the league, but he will never be quite up the level of guys like Phanuef.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Why would Phaneuf be better long term? Meszaros might be a bit worse now, but there is no real reason to say that one will be better in the future. Of the current crop, guys like Redden and Lidstrom may lack the physical qualities of the Rob Blakes and Chris Prongers but are better defencemen. The ability to make a great exit pass and defensive awareness are perhaps the two most important skills for elite defencemen. Being able to skate the puck up the ice, shoot the big slap shot, or give out big hits are just gravy. And at this point both Meszaros and Phaneuf have shown the ability to the gravy, but what will differentiate them is their ability in the two key areas. I don't think that J. Johnson will be as good as Meszaros based on his World Junior play. At this point I would say that Meszaros is on the bubble with a few others in terms of who will be top 5 Dmen, but he is in the best position to learn how to be a great Dmen... with all-stars as mentors and in a system that forces the Dmen to be skilled.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Winston Wolf said:
I'm a big fan of Olesz and think he's often underrated, but Meszaros is the easy choice here. Meszaros can be a top 10 defenseman in the league, the same can't be said about Olesz in the forward or even the center ranks.
Good reason to not be considered a top center in the league. He's destines to bea left wing for the majority of his career as a Panthers with Weiss and Jokinen in town. Said so on the day he was drafted, and people still called him a center, and through his first season has yet to play center.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
J17ster said:
In the long term, Phanuef will be better. Pitkanen will be as well IMO. Bouwmeester (trust me on this one) is better than Meszaros and will be in the future. You then have the two Johnsons who will be studs, guys like Sutter etc and it's going to be very tough to be a top 5 Dman. Then you consider the established guys who will still be around when Meszaros hits his prime. Meszaros will be a top 20 Dman in the league, but he will never be quite up the level of guys like Phanuef.
Do you have guarenteed winning lottery numbers for every lottery in North America as well as long as your predict the future based on nothing but speculation?

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
J17ster said:

I'd agree with that. Espcially since there's always low picks that explode onto the scene. Folks in Ottawa should know that with Chara! But top 10 or 15 is very realistic IMO, and I actually expect it. He's got a very bright future, all the tools, and this is jsut the beginning!

FTR, I'd take Meszaros over Weber of the guys listed in that group.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
ClashCitiRockr said:
Do you have guarenteed winning lottery numbers for every lottery in North America as well as long as your predict the future based on nothing but speculation?

Your an idiot sometimes, do you have to argue everything. Im not north american either, but then if you say i am, i must be.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Man.Utd said:
I'd agree with that. Espcially since there's always low picks that explode onto the scene. Folks in Ottawa should know that with Chara! But top 10 or 15 is very realistic IMO, and I actually expect it. He's got a very bright future, all the tools, and this is jsut the beginning!

FTR, I'd take Meszaros over Weber of the guys listed in that group.

I'd personally take Weber, but really thats based more on a team need. Meszaros is up there with the very best young Defensive players in the world, but there are 6 or 7 guys i'd take over him.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
J17ster said:

Hey, don't kid yourself. Meszaros has been just as good as every defenseman you have on that list. I'd actually go out on a limb and say that Meszaros has been even better than some of the defensemen you have on the list.

I've lived in Ottawa and I've seen Meszaros play several times and yes, he's that good. This guy will win the Norris trophy within 5 seasons.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
J17ster said:
I'd personally take Weber, but really thats based more on a team need. Meszaros is up there with the very best young Defensive players in the world, but there are 6 or 7 guys i'd take over him.

Meszaros, despite being a year younger, has looked WAY better than Weber this year. It's really not even close in my mind. Weber is really one-dimensional wheras Meszaros is good at everything. Meszaros exploded forward in development this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad