Oldest (legit) rookie of the modern era?

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
I was thinking today...anyone ever make the big show at a much older age than usual?

I`m thinking along the following lines

1. Post 1970
2. Played a signifigant number of games - at least half a season
3. Did not play professionally outside of North America
4. Didnt play long-term in the AHL/ECHL.

Fehr Time*

Many of the players that came over from the former USSR were not 'professionals' per se. Sergei Makarov was an older 'rookie' with the Flames. Not sure if that was what you were looking for though.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Sort of...I would consider the Soviet teams to be essentially pro though.

I was thinking more along the lines of talented college player goes undrafted, goes back to work on the farm, then years later gets back into playing shape and makes it. I know a few NFL players have followed that route - especially kickers.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Sort of...I would consider the Soviet teams to be essentially pro though.

I was thinking more along the lines of talented college player goes undrafted, goes back to work on the farm, then years later gets back into playing shape and makes it. I know a few NFL players have followed that route - especially kickers.

Yeah, that doesn't really happen in hockey. They either go play pro over in Europe, stick to their regular jobs full time and play some senior hockey, or spends all their time in a small town Saskatchewan bar drinking and telling everyone about the season they score 40 goals for the Wheat Kings.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I was thinking today...anyone ever make the big show at a much older age than usual?

I`m thinking along the following lines

1. Post 1970
2. Played a signifigant number of games - at least half a season
3. Did not play professionally outside of North America
4. Didnt play long-term in the AHL/ECHL.

I think this would be better for the Entertainment or History of Hockey threads Tyler, because it sounds pretty much like your looking for a hockey version of 1982's totally fictional The Natural starring Robert Redford. Great movie huh?. Mebbe Denis Leary in the lead... he can play a bit. :D

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I think this would be better for the Entertainment or History of Hockey threads Tyler, because it sounds pretty much like your looking for a hockey version of 1982's totally fictional The Natural starring Robert Redford. Great movie huh?. Mebbe Denis Leary in the lead... he can play a bit. :D

Or the real Jim Morris, a high school teacher and baseball coach who debuted with the Rays as a 35 yo rookie in 1999 - subject of the "true story" movie The Rookie (2002).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265662/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Morris

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Or the real Jim Morris, a high school teacher and baseball coach who debuted with the Rays as a 35 yo rookie in 1999 - subject of the "true story" movie The Rookie (2002).

Oh ya, forgot about that one... And who could ever forget; The Really Stupid & Dangerous Jobs of George Plimpton?. Yepp, old George suited up in net for the Bawstin Broons and even played part of an Exhibition Game; got his guts handed to him by Pancho Gozalez on the tennis court; went through an NFL training camp as a backup QB & was very nearly dismembered; tried his hand at being a sparring partner against the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson and came close to losing his left lung, while seriously damaging the tendons around his upper right thorax affecting his speech for the rest of his life; tried to cut it on the PGA Tour (Bogey Man) and trash talked Jack Nicklaus, to his face, on the course, in front of the cameras & crowds; worked as a high wire circus performer, without a net, and fell, several times; tried to swim across Lake Erie prior to its cleanup, without a wetsuit, no guide boat, doing the Dog Paddle, without notifying anyone; went for a stroll through East LA at midnight in his cotton chino's, button down collared shirt & Bass Weejuns...

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Oh ya, forgot about that one... And who could ever forget; The Really Stupid & Dangerous Jobs of George Plimpton?. Yepp, old George suited up in net for the Bawstin Broons and even played part of an Exhibition Game;

Open Net is a great book.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Open Net is a great book.

Ya, great book. Plimpton trained with the Bruins in 77 for a few weeks, playing in an Exhibition Game against the Flyers, one that was marred with 266 minutes worth of penalties. He only played about 5 minutes as I recollect but during that time, Leach was awarded a penalty shot. Plimpton "stoned" him, though Id' hazard to guess a rather deliberate bit of work on Reggies part... :)

... and Claire Alexander!. And me a Leafs fan. Alas I have little memory of the 70's. Damaged. Good job nutbar.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Close the books, guys, because we're looking for Connie Madigan.Debuted in 1973 with St. Louis at the age of 38.

Well YeOldeRyaneClowe, we'd best be opening them up again because the op's looking for guys without a lengthy minor league career, and as we know, "Mad Dog" had just that. Immortalized in the movie Slapshot with Paul Newman.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Oh ya, forgot about that one... And who could ever forget; The Really Stupid & Dangerous Jobs of George Plimpton?. Yepp, old George suited up in net for the Bawstin Broons and even played part of an Exhibition Game; got his guts handed to him by Pancho Gozalez on the tennis court; went through an NFL training camp as a backup QB & was very nearly dismembered; tried his hand at being a sparring partner against the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson and came close to losing his left lung, while seriously damaging the tendons around his upper right thorax affecting his speech for the rest of his life; tried to cut it on the PGA Tour (Bogey Man) and trash talked Jack Nicklaus, to his face, on the course, in front of the cameras & crowds; worked as a high wire circus performer, without a net, and fell, several times; tried to swim across Lake Erie prior to its cleanup, without a wetsuit, no guide boat, doing the Dog Paddle, without notifying anyone; went for a stroll through East LA at midnight in his cotton chino's, button down collared shirt & Bass Weejuns...

That guy seems crazy... I imagine an eccentric Hunter S. Thompson type...

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Close the books, guys, because we're looking for Connie Madigan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Madigan

Debuted in 1973 with St. Louis at the age of 38.

wow interestign trivia question although he does kinda vialte the 4th point in the OP's question which is "Didnt play long-term in the AHL/ECHL."

IHL was probably equivalent or better than ECHL for at least some of it's existence.

Aleaxander comes close and Billl McDougal, although he violates the ECHL part of the criteria, is a very interesting story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_McDougall

Claude Vilgrain as well.

Maybe he should have also insisted that players born on Fridays are exempt?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That guy seems crazy... I imagine an eccentric Hunter S. Thompson type...

Yepp. Ever try hunting with Hunter S.?. In the desert?. Insanity. Dead Lizards & Spent Shells everwhere. Gun freak. :help:

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
IMO it's quite impossible to play post-1970, be talented enough to play NHL at one point of career and never played long term in AHL or Europe.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
rick knickle was 38 years old when he finally got to play in the NHL

JoeMalone

Apr 12, 2009
You may be looking for Gord Mark. Pulled off the farm by the Oilers in the '90s, made the big club and was terrible. But he made it.

edit: My bad. Gord actually played some games for the Devils in the late '80s. Somehow.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->