Old Tyme Hockey Rail Tales

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yeah, I've checked some on the Canadian Railway League before. Ottawa H/C and the Montreal Crystals appeared with players/teams (but under different team names I guess).

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, I've checked some on the Canadian Railway League before. Ottawa H/C and the Montreal Crystals appeared with players/teams (but under different team names I guess).

"Railway League"?.... Wasnt aware of such a thing.... the blog linked dealing with anecdotal stories of travel by rail, mention of the first metal nets fabricated by rail shop employee's & so on.... was aware that Canadian Ntl Railways radio or "telegraph" the first to broadcast & transmit hockey games, fore-runners to CBC & HNIC.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
"Railway League"?.... Wasnt aware of such a thing.... the blog linked dealing with anecdotal stories of travel by rail, mention of the first metal nets fabricated by rail shop employee's & so on.... was aware that Canadian Ntl Railways radio or "telegraph" the first to broadcast & transmit hockey games, fore-runners to CBC & HNIC.

CPR at least in Montreal via the CPRAAA used to offer extensive sport programs -hockey, soccer, individual sports, etc. Hockey included house leagues and an elite team that played in a local league just below the NHL level.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ah... Thanks guys.... thats seriously interesting stuff. Wasnt aware of those chapters in the history of sport, the game.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Does anyone here know the sources and/or author of these materials? I couldn't find any citations or attributions in the web content.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The rosters for the league in Montreal - MRTAHL 1925-1932 are provided in the link. Good quality hockey. Easily 15 past and future NHLers. Inc Marty Barry.

Yeah I did bit more exploring there on that site... incredible.... Railway League yes... but then there was also the Telephone League... Northern Electric Team's & so on.... much of it Montreal-centric.... and absolutely was top tier hockey running from about 1902 through the 20's only breaking for the War. Played at the Montreal Forum, clearly a big deal & popular. Guys like Joe Malone involved in addition more than a dozen others as you mention....

One of my favorite stories being the player (name escapes me) who played in the NHL and off-season worked as a Stoker for CNR, shoveling coal into the fire box in the locomotive car that fueled the boiler.... and when he got hungry.... fry up a steak on his shovel.......... something he then carried over to his playing days as a Senior... doing the same on the pot bellied wood burning stoves that heated the shacks & pavilions adjacent to outdoor rinks back in the day used as dressing rooms, keep-warm rooms.... unreal. Guys having his pre-game meal IN the dressing room.... steak on a shovel. :laugh:

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yeah I did bit more exploring there on that site... incredible.... Railway League yes... but then there was also the Telephone League... Northern Electric Team's & so on.... much of it Montreal-centric.... and absolutely was top tier hockey running from about 1902 through the 20's only breaking for the War. Played at the Montreal Forum, clearly a big deal & popular. Guys like Joe Malone involved in addition more than a dozen others as you mention....

One of my favorite stories being the player (name escapes me) who played in the NHL and off-season worked as a Stoker for CNR, shoveling coal into the fire box in the locomotive car that fueled the boiler.... and when he got hungry.... fry up a steak on his shovel.......... something he then carried over to his playing days as a Senior... doing the same on the pot bellied wood burning stoves that heated the shacks & pavilions adjacent to outdoor rinks back in the day used as dressing rooms, keep-warm rooms.... unreal. Guys having his pre-game meal IN the dressing room.... steak on a shovel. :laugh:

Player who fried steaks was Harry Mummery. Used a clean shovel.

During WWI the players drifted to the MCHL, war restrictions, etc. Joe Matte was one the best players.

Joe Matte Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

League played out of the Jubilee Arena, right by the Angus Shops(south) easy access to both the CPR and CNR tracks.

Bit of a scandal about residency issues since teams would import players from Ottawa and Ontario for war effort employment.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Player who fried steaks was Harry Mummery. Used a clean shovel.

During WWI the players drifted to the MCHL, war restrictions, etc. Joe Matte was one the best players.

Joe Matte Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

League played out of the Jubilee Arena, right by the Angus Shops(south) easy access to both the CPR and CNR tracks.

Bit of a scandal about residency issues since teams would import players from Ottawa and Ontario for war effort employment.

... that was it, Harry Mummery.... hard name to forget but forget it I did..... thats an old Miners trick... using a shovel (of course clean C58... whatre ya thinkin? :laugh:) to fry up steaks, even to bake peasants pies, bread & so on over an open fire... goes way back... in the UK, Europe, roving itinerant agrarian workers, natural coal producers producing coal from wood for the iron & metallurgy sectors, for blacksmiths & farmers... whole crews of them, families living camp-camp doing same from the middle ages right through the Great Depression. Soldiers, Cowboys, Hobo's, Gypsies.... Multi-purpose tool the shovel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad