Old time football

adolfz

Oct 11, 2007
Riga
Hi chaps, Im new to football, but I really enjoying it. Im from europe, big time hockey fan, cant watch nhl anymore because its so boring. coming from country where basketball is close nr 1 to hockey NBA has become my favourite weeknight interest. what i want to know - what is old time football? in relation to what hockey has lost. because, maybe the shithead Batman is right? football is enough violent to me, maybe nowadays hockey is enough violent to people new to the game?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
While not extremely old time football, this was before the rules changed illegal contact beyond 5 yards in 2003:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The problem with "old time football" is now there are a bunch of retirees that are crippled and worse, people with brain damage, ALS, dementia, suicides, etc.

The game has had to change and as much as I kinda miss "old time football" it's not worth people dying over.

Progress has been made but there will have to be more drastic changes. At some point I feel like they're going to have to eliminate the helmet or at least drastically scale it back in terms of its size and hardness (that's what she said)

They're already doing that with the shock-absorbing shoulder pads which is definitely a good thing, but as long as they're running around wearing high impact plastic helmets ramming into each other at speed there are going to be head injuries.

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
That (less passing) was mostly because of an overall limitation of player ability though.

Fish, how would u substantiate that earlier football players were less able than modern NFLers (?)
Is your view, since they passed less back in the day, they necessarily had to be less talented passers (?)
Would you apply the same standard to the modern running game ? Because they run less now; modern runners & O-lineman are less able (?)

Personally I think the change in style has more to do with philosophy than ability (declining or increasing). Game used to be more about running over your opponent, than finesse. Just my take..

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
They run less now because it's more efficient to throw the ball. The best offenses in league history prioritized big chunks in the passing game.

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
They run less now because it's more efficient to throw the ball. The best offenses in league history prioritized big chunks in the passing game.

Yeah, always been more efficient to pass. A 20 yard pass (spanning 5 seconds) was more efficient than taking 4 (clock consuming) runs to gain the same 20 yards, both in 1958 or 2018. Or do u mean more efficient bcuz of contemporary rule changes, softening coverage techniques (?)

I think the difference has been change in philosophy, not a realization of efficiency. Vintage football was more about attrition & physical dominance. They could pass, but took more pride & put more strategic stock, in running over a defense. U reference great NFL offenses priortizing passing.. but I would include (as equals) the great running attacks of the championship Browns teams, & even later the Gibbs' Redskin championships. Gibbs was always about a stout run game first.. even a lot of sucessful pass offenses were still smashmouth, run-heavy (ie Noll' Steelers). Bill Walsh & now Belichick definitely & successfully altered NFL philosophy (probably Coryell too).. peace

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->