Old man time...er...Chris Chelios named Team USA Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Cheli is playing better now then he did pre the last Olympics. He'll offer good leadership and be an excellent pk guy for USA. I still don't think they'll even come close to the Silver they got in 2002, but Cheli will play his part.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
19 for president said:
Cheli is playing better now then he did pre the last Olympics. He'll offer good leadership and be an excellent pk guy for USA. I still don't think they'll even come close to the Silver they got in 2002, but Cheli will play his part.

Yup. But the team still is sub par compared to the other teams in the tournament.

KH1

I can understand giving Chelios the captaincy. I'm not too partial to the guy (I personally think that he's a total @$$--if you want any proof just google the words "Chris Chelios ***hole") but he is longest tenured guy and supposedly a good leader.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
19 for president said:

No he's not. In 2001-02, he finished second for the Norris Trophy to Niklas Lidstrom and had his best season since winning the Norris in 1996. He's playing his best hockey since the great comeback year in 2002, but he's not playing better than that year.

Right pick for the C. Like him or not, he's one of the top 10 defencemen in the history of the game, and a strong locker room presence. He can still be a big factor defensively and physically, and few are better at getting under the opponents skin. Right (and probably the only) choice for the C.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sabresrat said:
Something to do with the previous Olympic scandal involving Chelios I bet.

You mean where Chelios wrote a personal check to pay for the hotel damage when it was widely understood that he had nothing to do with it? People can dog Chelios all they want, but he's a fierce competitor and a great leader. He's also playing pretty well Detroit this year as well.

Last edited:

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Rabid Ranger said:
You mean where Chelios wrote a personal check to pay for the hotel damage when it was widely understood he had nothing to do with? People can dog Chelios all they want, but he's a fierce competitor and a great leader. He's also playing pretty well Detroit this year as well.

Exactly! I surmised the "Hotel Thrashing Incident" maybe had something to do with the "Chelios is a piece of ****" comment, however since Chelios really didn't have anything to do with that, I still couldn't understand the reasoning for calling him that. So, basically, I wanted a reason from the person who stated it.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
You mean where Chelios wrote a personal check to pay for the hotel damage when it was widely understood he had nothing to do with? People can dog Chelios all they want, but he's a fierce competitor and a great leader. He's also playing pretty well Detroit this year as well.
I agree 100%

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
yeah, why would you want some upstart like Chelios for players to look up to?

all he ever did was play for his country in the 84 Olympics.

oh yeah, and then the Canada Cup that same year.
oh, and then for the NHL all-stars in the Rendez-Vous series in 87, and for the US in the Canada Cup later that year.

and then he anchored the defense in the 91 Canada Cup and in the victorious 96 "World" Cup when the Americans showed up the Canucks.

and then he played the same in 98 Olympics and for the Silver medal team in 02, oh, and into the final-4 at the World Cup in 04.

and just because he's played in every single game this season, in his, um, 23rd consecutive year . . .

hard to imagine why they'd pick a guy who's only played against the best in the world in 9 different major tournments.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Remy said:
Still waiting for that explanation...........

Basically, I flat out can't stand the guy. Sure, hating the Wings is part of the reason, but I disliked Chelios before he went to Detroit. Don't you have players you just can't stand? Well, Chelios is mine. The worst part is having guys like him and Tkachuk on Team USA means I have to ROOT for them. :rant: The fact that he is the captain (AGAIN!) makes it that much worse.

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
Quattro said:
Basically, I flat out can't stand the guy. Sure, hating the Wings is part of the reason, but I disliked Chelios before he went to Detroit. Don't you have players you just can't stand? Well, Chelios is mine. The worst part is having guys like him and Tkachuk on Team USA means I have to ROOT for them. :rant: The fact that he is the captain (AGAIN!) makes it that much worse.

Wow, really mature explanation :shakehead

O'shizzle

Oct 21, 2005
Detroit
Quattro said:
I'll bet you there's a lot of players on the US team that don't like him during the NHL season, either. But when they're all pulling towards one common goal, players of all nationalities put their differences aside. Try to look at it this way: If a guy who regularly gets hacked and whacked by Chelios can deal with it, surely you, a mere fan, can too.

Or maybe you don't want the US to field the best team possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad