old jofa helmets, like the kind gretzky used to wear

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
How much are you willing to spend? I have a friend who owns a Play It Again Sports store, and he usually has one on hand to sell. But he wants around $95 US for them. I have one, but I still wear it when I play, so I can't part with it.

Silly, isn't it? I bought mine for $15 in 1985, and now it's worth $100 if I want to sell it!

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
look on ebay. I've seen them at a local PIAS for less than $20. If you can't find one I can check to see if they still have them and we can make a deal(as long as you're willing to give me some extra cash because it's a 35min drive). Good luck.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
The NHL should permit, even encourage, the use of the Jofa 235 helmet again. Today's game is so bigger and faster and so thickly protected but so ultimately more stupid compared to when Gretzky and many other players at the time wore that type of headgear. This could go along with suggestions that the players wear 1970s/80s style shoulder and elbow pads as part of dealing with the concussion problem.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
The NHL should permit, even encourage, the use of the Jofa 235 helmet again. Today's game is so bigger and faster and so thickly protected but so ultimately more stupid compared to when Gretzky and many other players at the time wore that type of headgear. This could go along with suggestions that the players wear 1970s/80s style shoulder and elbow pads as part of dealing with the concussion problem.

So you bumped a post from 2006 to make a rant completely unrelated to the original topic.

Seanconn*

Jofa should make helmets again.

I'd buy a Jofa 366, like that!

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Haha yeah, I know that most leagues don't allow you to wear the JOFA Gretzky-style one for safety issues. But JOFA should make a new line, safer but similar in look. It'd be good for all the hot rodders out there that want to stand out ;)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Jofa should make helmets again.

I'd buy a Jofa 366, like that!
Haha yeah, I know that most leagues don't allow you to wear the JOFA Gretzky-style one for safety issues. But JOFA should make a new line, safer but similar in look. It'd be good for all the hot rodders out there that want to stand out ;)
Jofa was bought by Reebok ages ago, and all the Jofa-style gear has been phased out. It's been years since any new Jofa or Jofa-style gear has been in production, everything still out there is just used or old stock.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Haha yeah, I know that most leagues don't allow you to wear the JOFA Gretzky-style one for safety issues. But JOFA should make a new line, safer but similar in look. It'd be good for all the hot rodders out there that want to stand out.

Not a bad idea. Sorry if I acted a little off topic earlier. Guess it was a "rookie" mistake, lol. BTW, I have a black Jofa 235 that I still wear in addition to a Jofa 690 model that I'll use if league/tournament regulations do not allow me to use the 235.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
The 235 is literally the worst looking bucket ever made, in addition to being fairly useless for actual protection. It's like wearing a salad spinner on your domepiece.

RJ8812*

I don't know why anyone would want to wear one of those....

they're the ugliest helmet ever and they offer little to no protection

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012

Agreed, Jofa protective gear (aside from helmets) was literally the best stuff ever. Reebok seems to have continued some of their design aspects in spirit, but there's no replacing a good pair of Jofa shins or elbows.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Another +1 for bringing back Jofa protective. Bought a pair of Jofa elbows (well, Rbk 7K pros, but AFAIK they're just re-branded Jofas) off another member on this board, and I'm really liking them so far, just a well made, functional pad. Protective, stays in place (love the non-stretchy straps, and strap placement), solid but not overly bulky, moves well. Also really like the liner, most liners on new pads are really slippery, this one has more of a stiff felt type liner (think the liner on X40 skates) that helps it grip to your arm much better. Don't know why other companies can't make elbows like this, it's a simple pad that just works, while almost all other pads on the market are chock full of dumb gimmicks, and just don't stay in place/move that well. I also don't know why the more felt-type liners have gone out of style, when it comes to skates and elbows I could give a rats ass about wicking liners (really, I sweat the same and stay equally wet/dry regardless of liners), I just want a liner that's comfy while gripping well to my feet/elbows, and the felt-type liners do that much better than the slick wicking liners that you see on almost all skates/elbows nowadays.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
I don't know why anybody would want to wear one of those helmets. You might as well just go helmetless, at least you'll look badass before the inevitable concussion.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
I saw one of these yesterday at pickup. One B league guy who drops in from time to time rocked these. They look very slick, but I would not wear them (then again, that guy can skate and has good balance, so I don't think anybody can knock him off his feet at pickup lol). He's not allowed to use the helmet in league games though.

He bought it on swedish ebay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->