Old Hockey VHS Tapes/DVDs

Ace36758

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary
I just stumbled upon this old movie I used to have as a VHS on youtube:

I'm not a Flames fan (don't actually know why I had the video...I think one of my parents' friends gave it to me as he was a big hockey fan). It's not a bad watch as it goes through the whole 1989 playoffs in an hour (also that 80s music!). This brings back nostalgia to the old tapes I used to watch. Rock em Sock em 3, 4, 5 and 6 come to mind.

What are some of your favourites?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/youtube-link-compilation-of-hockey-documentaries-stanley-cup-vhs-dvd’s-others.2728167/

Some great ones here!

Reactions: Ace36758

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
so many good ones

The early Rock'Em Sock'Em ones are classics of course.

Ice Hot and Ice Hot 2 I liked as that was the time I was just getting into hockey.

The tapes with funny plays and "bloopers" were always good, Hockey the Lighter Side and the like.

Some training videos were pretty good. Gretzky had a few of these, but I liked How to Skate like a Pro with Paul Coffey the most cause it's still so cool to see him skate.

Of course, I can't forget some of the Red Wings season retrospectives. The Hockeytown series of tapes after the three cup wins were great, but I'm happy that I got my hands on some of the earlier retrospectives which are less known. Just a Matter of Time! (1986-1987), We're for Real! (1987-1988), Triumph and Tears (1988-1989), and Poised for Glory (1991-1992) were all really well done. Anyone know if there are others? Would love to see a Wings retrospective after the 1992-1993 season if it exists.

Probably the one favorite of them all has to be:

The format with the player interviews, Dennis Leary, Dan Moriarty, and of course Dave Coulier being hosts, really add to the goal highlights. Just the NHL at the end of probably its brightest moment with its brightest stars, but includes some historic goals as well from decades past.

It's nice that many of these are now on YouTube, but of course I prefer having the actual tapes of some of these, with a VCR and a tube TV from the time to go with it.

Reactions: Ace36758

Ace36758

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary
so many good ones

The early Rock'Em Sock'Em ones are classics of course.

Ice Hot and Ice Hot 2 I liked as that was the time I was just getting into hockey.

The tapes with funny plays and "bloopers" were always good, Hockey the Lighter Side and the like.

Some training videos were pretty good. Gretzky had a few of these, but I liked How to Skate like a Pro with Paul Coffey the most cause it's still so cool to see him skate.

Of course, I can't forget some of the Red Wings season retrospectives. The Hockeytown series of tapes after the three cup wins were great, but I'm happy that I got my hands on some of the earlier retrospectives which are less known. Just a Matter of Time! (1986-1987), We're for Real! (1987-1988), Triumph and Tears (1988-1989), and Poised for Glory (1991-1992) were all really well done. Anyone know if there are others? Would love to see a Wings retrospective after the 1992-1993 season if it exists.

Probably the one favorite of them all has to be:

The format with the player interviews, Dennis Leary, Dan Moriarty, and of course Dave Coulier being hosts, really add to the goal highlights. Just the NHL at the end of probably its brightest moment with its brightest stars, but includes some historic goals as well from decades past.

It's nice that many of these are now on YouTube, but of course I prefer having the actual tapes of some of these, with a VCR and a tube TV from the time to go with it.

Fantastic-will watch-thanks!

Stingrayjane2014

Feb 14, 2024
Here’s one I can’t seem to track down. When I was learning goaltending back in the early nineties I took a tape out from the library and it was a How to video staring Patrick Roy. He must have been young because he was still wearing the old brown leather pads. I’ll never forget the demo on not letting in a wraparound and the echo effect they put on his voice “if they score on a wraparound it’s your fault! Your fault….your fault…your fault” it sounded so ominous I didn’t let in a wraparound in 15 years.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4