old dynasty teams and payroll?.

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
Montreal in the 50s and 60s and 70s, Toronto in the 60s, NYI in the 80s and Edmonton. my question is that were they number one in Payroll in NHL at their hey days??. like i assume that 80s oilers had number one payroll in the Nhl with players like grettzky/messier/kurri/coffey/andersson or NYI trottier/bossy/potvin/gillies….eeetc etc.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Howe didn't realize how little he was being paid until he heard about a youngster getting paid more than him.

He went hurt to the Detroit GM and asked for a significant raise (i cant recall if it was like 60% or more) and automatically got it. Then he wondered why he hadn't been given a raise years earlier, to which the GM replied: "You never asked!" ;)

Reactions: Tarantula

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Wasn't there a story about how Gordie Howe leather jacket he received as a gift by the team was not an insignificant percentage of is total compensation ?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Howe as a prospect was invited to camp and when he said he liked the jacket he was told he would be given one. Then it was forgotten about. When Howe was asked to sign a contract he said he wasn't sure if he wanted to sign with that team because he was promised a jacket and hadn't gotten one. The GM famously made a quote about how quickly they scrambled to get a jacket for the young Howe who impressed them so much in camp.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
That give an idea on how different the salary were at the time, if the absence of a jacket felt relevant.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Howe didn't realize how little he was being paid until he heard about a youngster getting paid more than him.

He went hurt to the Detroit GM and asked for a significant raise (i cant recall if it was like 60% or more) and automatically got it. Then he wondered why he hadn't been given a raise years earlier, to which the GM replied: "You never asked!" ;)

I think it was Bobby Baun that wised Gordie up.

That summer, the Wings brought in defenceman Carl Brewer, and Baun recalls Howe’s outrage upon learning that he—”Mr. Hockey”—would be the third-highest-paid player on the team at $45,000 per season. “Carl ended up making more than Gordie Howe,” Baun wrote in a memoir. “But hell, I was making more money than Gordie Howe, and was Gordie ever upset when I told him so.”

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
There was a thread before the site moved where somebody did a seemingly intelligent calculation of what the Oilers' 1987 playoff team's salary would be in today's terms. I can't remember the result, but it was something like twice today's cap.

This specific roster (which only lasted about four months) included:
-- Gretzky (8th straight Hart, 7th straight Art Ross)
-- Messier (5th All Star season, ex-Conn Smythe)
-- Kurri (2nd in scoring, #1 RW in hockey)
-- Coffey (two recent Norrises, broke Orr's goals in a season record)
-- Nilsson (ex-131 point scorer, recently ranked by TSN as one of the ten most skilled players in history)
-- Anderson (five x 40+ goal scorer, perennial All Star)
-- Fuhr (popularly considered best goaltender in the game then)
-- Ruotsalainen (offensive Dman, one of the best skaters in the game)

Reactions: Talisman

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
There was a thread before the site moved where somebody did a seemingly intelligent calculation of what the Oilers' 1987 playoff team's salary would be in today's terms. I can't remember the result, but it was something like twice today's cap.

This specific roster (which only lasted about four months) included:
-- Gretzky (8th straight Hart, 7th straight Art Ross)
-- Messier (5th All Star season, ex-Conn Smythe)
-- Kurri (2nd in scoring, #1 RW in hockey)
-- Coffey (two recent Norrises, broke Orr's goals in a season record)
-- Nilsson (ex-131 point scorer, recently ranked by TSN as one of the ten most skilled players in history)
-- Anderson (five x 40+ goal scorer, perennial All Star)
-- Fuhr (popularly considered best goaltender in the game then)
-- Ruotsalainen (offensive Dman, one of the best skaters in the game)
yes. i remember the number was 97 million!!.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad