Okposo- worst fight ever?

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I kind of forgot Okposo was still in the league. Good for him sticking with the game after all he's been through.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Okposo should know better. Especially with how severe the previous head injury was. But hockey is still a game, and people get emotional and stupid. They aren't robots.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
DeAngelo is the classic bad draw as an opponent in a fight. He's small, so if you back down from him, people question your heart, If you beat him, it's because you were supposed to, and if you lose, you look like a chump. You kind of wind up in a no win situation.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Players that have ever had a concussion should be put in a designated no fight list, with an auto suspension or some kind of penalty triggering anytime they drop them. KO fighting is just so wrong on so many levels.

Reactions: egelband

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Okposo with a meh hit, but then for some reason feels the need to stand up for it.. dude has a bad concussion history, it's a 3-2 game, he looked uncomfortable the whole time, and he gets rocked- why? Why do that to yourself? I guess getting DeAngelo off the ice was a solid, dude was a beast, but jeez what an ugly fight.

Looks like a guy who doesn't expect a quick jab, then falls. Hardly worst fight ever material.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Haha at least Semin was doing the slapping though- untied jersey aiding him, of course, but all the same..

Okposo walked into a fight he never should have taken and pretty much got one punched- that's some rarified air, right there.

Let me introduce you to Rick DiPietro, who did the exact same thing under the same circumstances and also got one punched

Reactions: IlikeEich

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I feel bad for Okposo at this point in career. He's done, the game has passed him by.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
DeAngelo is not very big but I've seen him fight before and he knows how to handle himself. Kind of like Max Domi. The last thing you'd want to do is go lunging at him which is what Kyle did and Tony just stepped to the side and hit him square in the face as he went by. Kyle with his injury history should have just backed out of it. I hope he gets over it soon......concussions can be a very bad thing.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Players that have ever had a concussion should be put in a designated no fight list, with an auto suspension or some kind of penalty triggering anytime they drop them. KO fighting is just so wrong on so many levels.

Okposo himself should know better than to engage with his concussion history. It's not like the long-term brain damage caused by repeated head trauma is a secret to the players anymore. It's scary to see a guy with Okposo's history get tagged like that, but he chose to drop the mitts there. It's not like Deangelo sucker-punched him.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Okposo himself should know better than to engage with his concussion history. It's not like the long-term brain damage caused by repeated head trauma is a secret to the players anymore. It's scary to see a guy with Okposo's history get tagged like that, but he chose to drop the mitts there. It's not like Deangelo sucker-punched him.
Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear, Okposo himself would be suspended under my proposal.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I feel bad for Okposso. He's had some pretty bad head problems with concussions and all over his career. He doesn't need this. I don't think he came back into the game after that.

He was asking for it. No one put him in that situation other than Okposo himself.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
I feel bad for Okposo at this point in career. He's done, the game has passed him by.
Done or not, he's still getting paid millions to play a game. So whether he's done or not, I don't feel bad for him.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Done or not, he's still getting paid millions to play a game. So whether he's done or not, I don't feel bad for him.

Can't feel bad for someone because money. The guy has clearly had some mental issues and has gone through a difficult time money or not.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Can't feel bad for someone because money. The guy has clearly had some mental issues and has gone through a difficult time money or not.
It is his choice to continue playing. I feel very bad about his health issues, but not about him being "done" or "the game passing him by". It is what it is.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Let me introduce you to Rick DiPietro, who did the exact same thing under the same circumstances and also got one punched

Good one, that's the only comparable I can think of. Dipi seemed to not take it seriously so I rank it slightly lower- goalie fight, he's a clown, and he just seemed to figure nothing would happen. Whoops.

With Kyle it's a player I like dropping them for no reason, looking shaky in his approach, then getting rocked by the first punch. There are worse losses out there, but this and Dipi are the two biggest "wtf why did you do that?" moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad