Injury Report: Okposo out indefinitely with a concussion

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
@dotcommunism

Thinking ahead. What happens if this injury forces Okposo to retire? What are the cap implications?

I really hope he’s alright.
LTIR. The cap counts during the off season, during the season I think we can name a replacement player for him, basically we get to subtract his deal from Eichels contract.

If he retires he would leave money on the table, makes no sense.

Edit: seems more complicated LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
OK... queue up the tune by Queen..... "dum, dum dum, another one bites the dust"....

(And another one bites and another one bites, another one bites the dust......)

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
@dotcommunism

Thinking ahead. What happens if this injury forces Okposo to retire? What are the cap implications?

I really hope he’s alright.
If he outright retires, then his contract vanishes.

LTIR. The cap counts during the off season, during the season I think we can name a replacement player for him, basically we get to subtract his deal from Eichels contract.

If he retires he would leave money on the table, makes no sense.

Edit: seems more complicated LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
You're right that LTIR is more complicated than it at first seems (so I won't get into it now). As for why Okposo may retire, here we get into some more ambiguous territory. Let's suppose that Okposo is given the green light from the team doctor, but decides that he doesn't want to take the risk of getting another concussion. In such a case he wouldn't be eligible for LTIR (unless the Sabres can borrow Chicago's team doctor), and if he's not playing would either need to retire or would be suspended by the team (in which case he isn't paid and his cap hit doesn't count while suspended), or have his contract terminated (where it also goes away entirely). Now I can't say how likely such a scenario is, especially when you get into the grey areas of what allows a guy to be injured enough for LTIR, but it's not completely impossible.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If he outright retires, then his contract vanishes.

You're right that LTIR is more complicated than it at first seems (so I won't get into it now). As for why Okposo may retire, here we get into some more ambiguous territory. Let's suppose that Okposo is given the green light from the team doctor, but decides that he doesn't want to take the risk of getting another concussion. In such a case he wouldn't be eligible for LTIR (unless the Sabres can borrow Chicago's team doctor), and if he's not playing would either need to retire or would be suspended by the team (in which case he isn't paid and his cap hit doesn't count while suspended), or have his contract terminated (where it also goes away entirely). Now I can't say how likely such a scenario is, especially when you get into the grey areas of what allows a guy to be injured enough for LTIR, but it's not completely impossible.

Thanks

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Okposo has no incentive to retire. But quite a bit to have a lifetime LTIR. (L-LTIR?)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
My daughter was injured in late September 2016. She was chasing a pass/clearing attempt that was too far ahead of her. It led to a race for the puck with my daughter a stride ahead of the pursuing defenders through the neutral zone. Their goalie decided to rush out of the crease to try to beat her to the puck as it entered their zone. You can guess what came next. My daughter collided with the goalie roughly in line with the tops of the faceoff circles and in line with the net. She tumbled over the goalie and got her arms tangled up. It led to her, at a pretty good rate of speed, smashing face/cage first into the ice since she couldn't bring up her arms to protect herself. She also had one of the pursuing defenders tumble over the goalie as well and they landed on my daughter's head/neck.

She struggled going to school from that point on through November of 2016. We let her miss days at a time here and there. On the days she did go, my wife or I had to either take her in late or pick her up early. Eventually, we had to pull her out of school in early December 2016. She was getting progressively worse and there was no way she could handle school. That started the bleakest time frame from December 2016 through early Feb 2017. She was pretty much in her room in bed with the lights off, blinds closed and covers over her head with blinding headaches. They only time she wasn't like that was going to doctor/therapist appointments.

There wasn't much progress in her condition for roughly 5-6 weeks. My wife and I were getting a little scared. She finally had a breakthrough in mid Feb 2017 when she was sent to a chiropractor who was able to make progress with her C1 and C2 which were injured as well. Between working with UB's concussion clinic, a vestibular therapist, the chiropractor, a psychologist for counseling and a neurologist my daughter was able to start getting better very slowly. Its was a very stressful journey with so many appointments my wife and I didn't know if we were coming or going half the time. But all of the medical professionals involved were amazing with us and each other. All of those professionals thought highly of each other and worked great as a team.

She never went back to school last year and was home schooled. Frontier was amazing working with her. They sent a teacher to our house every day after school. She was able to catch up and made high honors and got into national honors society. During this time frame she also had high level of anxiety and was trying to avoiding people she knows when she was out anywhere with us. It was irrational. As an example, I took her with me to Best Buy to get her out of the house. It was near the end of school year. she wouldn't come in with me for fear of seeing someone she knew. No matter how much I tried to convince her she would be fine, she refused to go in and sat in the car while I picked up what I came there for. It really came to head when a few of her final exams couldn't be taken at home and had to be taken at school. We finally got her to go by having one of her sisters walk her to the exam room then assure her that they would walk her out after.

My daughter finally went back to school this past fall (Sept 2017) after being pulled out in December 2016. Initially she was exhausted every day after school. Needing to sleep for 2-3 hours. On weekends, if she does something with her friends, that usually wipes her out. The exhaustion is getting better but she still is getting tired a lot and naps almost daily for a decent amount of time. But at least the anxiety is better and she has a social life with her friends again. She will still get awkward about certain situations but its much better than it was. She still has headaches but they are manageable for the most part.

Thanks for the well wishes for my daughter.

She has come a long way. The only big thing we haven't let her do is get a part time job. Not sure if she could handle that while going to school full time. We don't want to risk anything setting her back as she keeps moving in a positive direction. We're thinking summer jobs while she goes to college so she can earn money for herself but not get overwhelmed during school. She'll be going to UB next year and is looking to study engineering. Thats the next big step. We are very happy for her and proud of her that she's gotten things back on track with her schooling.

Best wishes for her full and prompt recovery! As a parent / step-parent of 3 high-schoolers (of admitted middling athletic ability), I can imagine the anxiousness you felt watching her initial accident unfold in real time. But I'm sure that paled in comparison to the succeeding months where your hopes were often reduced to "please, just ONE day of 'normal' for her".

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
My daughter was injured in late September 2016. She was chasing a pass/clearing attempt that was too far ahead of her. It led to a race for the puck with my daughter a stride ahead of the pursuing defenders through the neutral zone. Their goalie decided to rush out of the crease to try to beat her to the puck as it entered their zone. You can guess what came next. My daughter collided with the goalie roughly in line with the tops of the faceoff circles and in line with the net. She tumbled over the goalie and got her arms tangled up. It led to her, at a pretty good rate of speed, smashing face/cage first into the ice since she couldn't bring up her arms to protect herself. She also had one of the pursuing defenders tumble over the goalie as well and they landed on my daughter's head/neck.

She struggled going to school from that point on through November of 2016. We let her miss days at a time here and there. On the days she did go, my wife or I had to either take her in late or pick her up early. Eventually, we had to pull her out of school in early December 2016. She was getting progressively worse and there was no way she could handle school. That started the bleakest time frame from December 2016 through early Feb 2017. She was pretty much in her room in bed with the lights off, blinds closed and covers over her head with blinding headaches. They only time she wasn't like that was going to doctor/therapist appointments.

There wasn't much progress in her condition for roughly 5-6 weeks. My wife and I were getting a little scared. She finally had a breakthrough in mid Feb 2017 when she was sent to a chiropractor who was able to make progress with her C1 and C2 which were injured as well. Between working with UB's concussion clinic, a vestibular therapist, the chiropractor, a psychologist for counseling and a neurologist my daughter was able to start getting better very slowly. Its was a very stressful journey with so many appointments my wife and I didn't know if we were coming or going half the time. But all of the medical professionals involved were amazing with us and each other. All of those professionals thought highly of each other and worked great as a team.

She never went back to school last year and was home schooled. Frontier was amazing working with her. They sent a teacher to our house every day after school. She was able to catch up and made high honors and got into national honors society. During this time frame she also had high level of anxiety and was trying to avoiding people she knows when she was out anywhere with us. It was irrational. As an example, I took her with me to Best Buy to get her out of the house. It was near the end of school year. she wouldn't come in with me for fear of seeing someone she knew. No matter how much I tried to convince her she would be fine, she refused to go in and sat in the car while I picked up what I came there for. It really came to head when a few of her final exams couldn't be taken at home and had to be taken at school. We finally got her to go by having one of her sisters walk her to the exam room then assure her that they would walk her out after.

My daughter finally went back to school this past fall (Sept 2017) after being pulled out in December 2016. Initially she was exhausted every day after school. Needing to sleep for 2-3 hours. On weekends, if she does something with her friends, that usually wipes her out. The exhaustion is getting better but she still is getting tired a lot and naps almost daily for a decent amount of time. But at least the anxiety is better and she has a social life with her friends again. She will still get awkward about certain situations but its much better than it was. She still has headaches but they are manageable for the most part.
Best wishes. Good to hear she is feeling a bit better!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
@dotcommunism does the NHL have any sort of an injury settlement option? If not, seems like it would make sense. Player who is injured while playing gets to retire and still get some sort of settlement money that doesn't effect the cap.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

That sounds like a difficult journey. I hope the progress continues. Best wishes.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
@dotcommunism does the NHL have any sort of an injury settlement option? If not, seems like it would make sense. Player who is injured while playing gets to retire and still get some sort of settlement money that doesn't effect the cap.

For anybody actually injured it would be LTIR (if necessary for the team to use), the whole point is that everything is tied together. Neither the NHL nor the NHLPA necessarily want money that's unaccounted for in the the overall Hockey Revenue that determines the cap, that's kind of the whole point of the system, they have an agreed split of all the money, you can't take chunks out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->