Injury Report: Okposo out indefinitely with a concussion

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The NHL is in a tough spot. Any time you start to talk about concussions, you have to talk about hitting, just like the NFL. Its obvious they are trying to take those dangerous plays out of the game, but you can't under the current rules, because fans love the hard hits. Even with no intentional head contract like last night, a concussion can be the result.

There is so much money hinging on fixing this issue, I'm certain they will find a treatment for chronic traumatic encephalopathy as opposed to making the sport more safe and taking out what is a very popular aspect of hockey.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Oof, this is bad news for Okposo given his past history with concussions. I hope he recovers quickly and as well as you can. I wonder if this affects the longevity of his career.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I thought flying on a plane right after a concussion was considered something of an unnecessary risk?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I can appreciate the quandry the NHL is in, because with a cumulative issue like CTE, the NHL isn't going to want to implicitly sign on for liabilities associated with prior medical history.

Similarly, either the players and/or the NHLPA know the NHL has the deepest pockets to help compensate for / medically treat / reduce risk for sustaining CTE.

Re: NCAA on this topic... I think I posted previously I received a paper mailing and an email from NCAA (1 day apart) in ~August asking if I had any concussion issues / history as a collegiate athlete. There was a ESPN Sports Center segment on it the day before I got the email and paper mailing, so it was well-coordinated.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
It’s up to him and the doctors recommendation but I really, really hope that he won’t risk his quality of life to play for Buffalo.
Franzen had his life destroyed, he can hardly play with his kid and got pretty much his whole personality taken away.
Don’t risk it.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
A couple of my daughters as well as myself were taken care of at UB’s concussion clinic. The issues Lindros mentioned (not liking crowded rooms, being tired, etc) are still things my youngest daughter is dealing with. We’ve worked with Dr. Leddy at UB and the advances he’s helped to pioneer with dealing with concussions.
Dr. Leddy is awesome.

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have had two bad ones and a couple of minor ones. The last big one was in 2003 and there are still things that I have to this day that are impacted by it.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Not that anyone being concussed is okay, obviously... but Okposo is the last one you'd want to see dealing with it again after his scare last year. Hopefully if it was the medication, that they learned from it and he can have a smoother recovery.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Are you willing to reveal approximately how long your daughter is still having issues after her incident, and how long your situation lasted? Fully understand if you don't want to comment given privacy, etc.

My daughter was injured in late September 2016. She was chasing a pass/clearing attempt that was too far ahead of her. It led to a race for the puck with my daughter a stride ahead of the pursuing defenders through the neutral zone. Their goalie decided to rush out of the crease to try to beat her to the puck as it entered their zone. You can guess what came next. My daughter collided with the goalie roughly in line with the tops of the faceoff circles and in line with the net. She tumbled over the goalie and got her arms tangled up. It led to her, at a pretty good rate of speed, smashing face/cage first into the ice since she couldn't bring up her arms to protect herself. She also had one of the pursuing defenders tumble over the goalie as well and they landed on my daughter's head/neck.

She struggled going to school from that point on through November of 2016. We let her miss days at a time here and there. On the days she did go, my wife or I had to either take her in late or pick her up early. Eventually, we had to pull her out of school in early December 2016. She was getting progressively worse and there was no way she could handle school. That started the bleakest time frame from December 2016 through early Feb 2017. She was pretty much in her room in bed with the lights off, blinds closed and covers over her head with blinding headaches. They only time she wasn't like that was going to doctor/therapist appointments.

There wasn't much progress in her condition for roughly 5-6 weeks. My wife and I were getting a little scared. She finally had a breakthrough in mid Feb 2017 when she was sent to a chiropractor who was able to make progress with her C1 and C2 which were injured as well. Between working with UB's concussion clinic, a vestibular therapist, the chiropractor, a psychologist for counseling and a neurologist my daughter was able to start getting better very slowly. Its was a very stressful journey with so many appointments my wife and I didn't know if we were coming or going half the time. But all of the medical professionals involved were amazing with us and each other. All of those professionals thought highly of each other and worked great as a team.

She never went back to school last year and was home schooled. Frontier was amazing working with her. They sent a teacher to our house every day after school. She was able to catch up and made high honors and got into national honors society. During this time frame she also had high level of anxiety and was trying to avoiding people she knows when she was out anywhere with us. It was irrational. As an example, I took her with me to Best Buy to get her out of the house. It was near the end of school year. she wouldn't come in with me for fear of seeing someone she knew. No matter how much I tried to convince her she would be fine, she refused to go in and sat in the car while I picked up what I came there for. It really came to head when a few of her final exams couldn't be taken at home and had to be taken at school. We finally got her to go by having one of her sisters walk her to the exam room then assure her that they would walk her out after.

My daughter finally went back to school this past fall (Sept 2017) after being pulled out in December 2016. Initially she was exhausted every day after school. Needing to sleep for 2-3 hours. On weekends, if she does something with her friends, that usually wipes her out. The exhaustion is getting better but she still is getting tired a lot and naps almost daily for a decent amount of time. But at least the anxiety is better and she has a social life with her friends again. She will still get awkward about certain situations but its much better than it was. She still has headaches but they are manageable for the most part.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
My daughter was injured in late September 2016. She was chasing a pass/clearing attempt that was too far ahead of her. It led to a race for the puck with my daughter a stride ahead of the pursuing defenders through the neutral zone. Their goalie decided to rush out of the crease to try to beat her to the puck as it entered their zone. You can guess what came next. My daughter collided with the goalie roughly in line with the tops of the faceoff circles and in line with the net. She tumbled over the goalie and got her arms tangled up. It led to her, at a pretty good rate of speed, smashing face/cage first into the ice since she couldn't bring up her arms to protect herself. She also had one of the pursuing defenders tumble over the goalie as well and they landed on my daughter's head/neck.

She struggled going to school from that point on through November of 2016. We let her miss days at a time here and there. On the days she did go, my wife or I had to either take her in late or pick her up early. Eventually, we had to pull her out of school in early December 2016. She was getting progressively worse and there was no way she could handle school. That started the bleakest time frame from December 2016 through early Feb 2017. She was pretty much in her room in bed with the lights off, blinds closed and covers over her head with blinding headaches. They only time she wasn't like that was going to doctor/therapist appointments.

There wasn't much progress in her condition for roughly 5-6 weeks. My wife and I were getting a little scared. She finally had a breakthrough in mid Feb 2017 when she was sent to a chiropractor who was able to make progress with her C1 and C2 which were injured as well. Between working with UB's concussion clinic, a vestibular therapist, the chiropractor, a psychologist for counseling and a neurologist my daughter was able to start getting better very slowly. Its was a very stressful journey with so many appointments my wife and I didn't know if we were coming or going half the time. But all of the medical professionals involved were amazing with us and each other. All of those professionals thought highly of each other and worked great as a team.

She never went back to school last year and was home schooled. Frontier was amazing working with her. They sent a teacher to our house every day after school. She was able to catch up and made high honors and got into national honors society. During this time frame she also had high level of anxiety and was trying to avoiding people she knows when she was out anywhere with us. It was irrational. As an example, I took her with me to Best Buy to get her out of the house. It was near the end of school year. she wouldn't come in with me for fear of seeing someone she knew. No matter how much I tried to convince her she would be fine, she refused to go in and sat in the car while I picked up what I came there for. It really came to head when a few of her final exams couldn't be taken at home and had to be taken at school. We finally got her to go by having one of her sisters walk her to the exam room then assure her that they would walk her out after.

My daughter finally went back to school this past fall (Sept 2017) after being pulled out in December 2016. Initially she was exhausted every day after school. Needing to sleep for 2-3 hours. On weekends, if she does something with her friends, that usually wipes her out. The exhaustion is getting better but she still is getting tired a lot and naps almost daily for a decent amount of time. But at least the anxiety is better and she has a social life with her friends again. She will still get awkward about certain situations but its much better than it was. She still has headaches but they are manageable for the most part.
That is just a nightmare. Good for your daughter in fighting through it and for the family going all in to help. Here's hoping for a full and happy recovery!

Reactions: brian_griffin

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Only had one diagnosed and I got over it pretty fast, at least as far as I could tell.

No way that Kyle doesn’t have close to 5. Not with his style of play, not this many years of playing.

They will need to see how he feels and rehabs with his baseline functionality. But if I was his wife, I’d be pushing him to retire. He has made too much money and has too young a family to play a couple more years just waiting for the next big one. He already had an impressive career by any non hall of fame standard. Be rich and healthy for the next 40 years instead of ten.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yea, depending how he feels long term, he may consider hanging them up earlier rather than later. Man that sucks....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good luck with your daughter joshjull. I've been through some and the 2003 one was like I was another person. I still haven't gotten some functionality back from that one, probably never will.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

That's sad to hear. Hope your daughter and Okposo recover fully asap.

I didn't have a concussion as a kid though I did have about a worst case of mono you could get. I was essentially a shut-in for a year, by the time I went back to school I'd discovered I developed social anxiety/agoraphobia as well as losing social skills that made me stand out even more. Medication and counselling never helped me sadly and eventually the system got sick of me so they threw me in a children's home. So I can at least relate with her a little on the anxiety part.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Man these are some tough stories. I've definitely had my bell rung a few times and have separated shoulders and stuff but nothing like this.
A very good friend of mine who is also beautiful inside and out loves playing hockey in men's leagues even though she's 5' 2" and weighs maybe 105 pounds. She is balls to the wall too. Her problem was playing in lower level beer leagues with some fat guys who don't really look where they're skating. As a result her last concussion was her ninth. She ended up having to move home and she spent a month in a pitch black room with no phone, computer, TV, etc. She was pre-med and had to give that up. She eventually recovered and got her masters in sports therapy, and she's married and pregnant and she also refs some ice hockey. She also almost made the Flyers Ice Girls (she's gorgeous). But she has resigned herself that her life will probably end in her 60's. She's only 27 now. I still think if you ask her she still has no regrets about playing but she needed a better league or a woman's league.
God Bless her and all of you and yours dealing with this.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I'm so sorry, that sounds like such a stressful, painful, and scary journey for the whole family. About a year and a half so far if my math is right. With that team of professionals, I'm sure she'll have a full recovery eventually. Your daughter sounds like an admirably resilient person.

Wishing you guys the best of luck...with both her recovery and your stress levels. You must've had to learn a whole new level of patience with such a slow process.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

I wish her and your family luck!

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I hope your daughter makes a full recovery joshjull.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Thanks for the well wishes for my daughter.

She has come a long way. The only big thing we haven't let her do is get a part time job. Not sure if she could handle that while going to school full time. We don't want to risk anything setting her back as she keeps moving in a positive direction. We're thinking summer jobs while she goes to college so she can earn money for herself but not get overwhelmed during school. She'll be going to UB next year and is looking to study engineering. Thats the next big step. We are very happy for her and proud of her that she's gotten things back on track with her schooling.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Well wishes out to your family and daughter JJ. Kyle, keep fighting the fight. However, at this point it's about putting family first, and letting the rest sort out. Get better! CTE is no flipping joke.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Dr. Leddy is awesome.

He really is. The research his team has done in this field is amazing and recognized world wide. They developed a returned to play protocol. At the time of my youngest daughters injury they were working on developing a return to school protocol. The difficulties of which he mentioned to me during my daughter's treatment. How it was much harder to do than the return to play protocol. He's very pro active working with schools and trying various ideas out. As an added bonus he is a great person.

The group at UB are there ones that discovered Tim Connelly's concussion recovery was stalled for so long due to him also having a neck injury and TMJ. The concussion itself had healed but those two issues had similar symptoms making it seem as if it hadn't. One of the things I've learned dealing with this is how other issues can get lumped into a concussion diagnosis (neck injury, Vestibular issues, TMJ, etc) and how recovery can be stalled until the other issues are diagnosed and treated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad